Old 10-07-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
yusamile

Advanced Member

Shouts:

yusamile is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ayutthaya

The old capital ,.....anyone been ? I know this will prob draw a blank for most punters as its not a suburb of Pattaya, but im thinking about going up for a few daze. Any tips would be appreciated.

This should be a short thread.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Figjam

5k Legend club

Shouts:

How do you draw a blank???????? I fire blanks will that do?
Figjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
tom

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yusamile View Post
The old capital ,.....anyone been ? I know this will prob draw a blank for most punters as its not a suburb of Pattaya, but im thinking about going up for a few daze. Any tips would be appreciated.

This should be a short thread.
I made the mistake of going on 1 January when every fuckin' family in Thailand seemed to be there trying to secure good luck for the new year. I've got some pics somewhere that I'll try and put up.

The place itself was, for me, a little bit disappointing but I think that was because I had been to Sukhothai and Siem Reap which are spectacular as far as ancient ruins go.

On the way back we stopped off at a place called Bang Pa In which is the old residences of Rama 4 (or maybe Rama 5). It was totally devoid of visitors and made the day worthwhile.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tom For This Useful Post:
yusamile (10-07-2008)
Old 10-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
penetrator

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Went there a couple of years back, wanted to break the journey up back from Chiang Mai to Pattaya so stopped off overnight and had a few hours looking at the sights the next day. I certainly wouldn't spend a few days there, 1 full day should be enough to see the best ruins. The nightlife is crap, just a couple of quiet bars was all I could find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1421b.jpg (128.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg zdgg.jpg (89.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg zgtr.jpg (107.5 KB, 13 views)
bkp (10-07-2008), mack (10-07-2008), roamer (10-07-2008), Thebomb (10-07-2008), yusamile (10-07-2008)
Old 10-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
butterflyblonde

Mentally Disturbed

Shouts:

butterflyblonde is on a distinguished road

And don't forget mapjack has now updated and has Ayutthaya in that list of cities, so you can have a 'virtual' look around before going.

http://www.mapjack.com/?nCqwTmWsWcXD
butterflyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterflyblonde For This Useful Post:
yusamile (10-08-2008)
Old 10-08-2008, 05:41 AM   #6
yusamile

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflyblonde View Post
And don't forget mapjack has now updated and has Ayutthaya in that list of cities, so you can have a 'virtual' look around before going.

http://www.mapjack.com/?nCqwTmWsWcXD
Gee thanks BB and thanks Mapjack,...now i can save me the money i woulda spent on going there and give it to a ho on beach rd who prob comes from Ayutthaya anyways.
butterflyblonde (10-08-2008)
Old 10-08-2008, 08:01 AM   #7
tom

Advanced Member

Shouts:

yusamile,

I went to Ayutthaya on 1 Jan 2007. The night before we had gone out to The Hard Rock in BKK for my birthday and to celebrate New Year but it was the night of the Bangkok bombings (about 30 mins after the first pic was taken one of the bombs went off at the other side on the intersection) so it seemed a good idea to take the trip and see if Buddha couldn't see if it was within his powers to keep us safe during the new year.

We (myself, Deluxe (one of my regular freelancers) and her sister) set of from The Somerset on Soi Tonson (behind the Yank Embassy) for the comparatively short drive up to Ayutthaya (or it would have been a short drive if the town wasn't absolutely packed with folk with the same idea.

The first place we came across was loads of folk paying homage to ............ a load of cuddly toys.

After that it was the usual temple stuff ....... loads of Buddhas of various sizes, all wrapped in the saffron robes ..........

Luckily there were plenty of places to chill out nearby .........

On the way back, we stopped off at a place called Bang Pa In which was the residences of Rama 4 (or 5 ........ ?). A lot less people and, all in all, probably the best part of the day.

All said and done, it was a good break away from the city in the middle of a manic holiday period but I still much prefer Sukhothai to Ayutthaya for getting a feel for Thai history.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tom For This Useful Post:
bkp (10-08-2008), butterflyblonde (10-08-2008), Capt Magoo (10-08-2008), Gildas (10-13-2008), mack (10-08-2008), roamer (10-08-2008)
Old 10-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #8
yusamile

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Thanks Tom,....i was particularly fascinated by the Stuffed Toy Temple and the fact you had a GF named Deluxe . Thats got to be one of the best names yet.
So i guess you wouldn't recommend a coupla daze stay there then ?? I might have to investigate Sukothai then ( i once had a nice fliend from Poohket from there ) although it is a little further away. Still i dont mind a train trip.