Pattaya-Revealed.com : Members Forum : Pattaya Newbies Section : Q and A with a board member...ask yer question 'ere!

Old 08-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
tommiecoughlin

Advanced Member

Shouts:

tommiecoughlin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Q and A with a board member...ask yer question 'ere!

Many a good story told here in the almost 2 yearz that Revealed has been around.... sometimes the stories and posts can get cloudy in an old brain like mine.....and you forget some of the details and useful info gleaned....

....if'n you have a question...ask a board member....he might have the answer....or at least....he might make one up

Me question is 4 bilbo......

bilbo,

I remember the story of you breaking yer hip at the Water Park, but I forgot how it happened would you please explain once more?

How did you find the medical care in Thailand for such a serious injury as yerz? How did you handle the whole insurance thingee....and how receptive was the insurance company to yer claim?

How was travel home arranged and how long after your injury was it safe to fly?

....and finally....in yer estimation...is the Water Park a safe Pattaya attraction?...would you ever go to the Water Park again?

m8tee
Bilbobaggins (08-26-2008)
Old 08-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
butterflyblonde

Mentally Disturbed

Shouts:

butterflyblonde is on a distinguished road

butterflyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butterflyblonde For This Useful Post:
Thebomb (08-27-2008), tommiecoughlin (08-26-2008)
Old 08-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
Bilbobaggins

Advanced Member

Shouts:

good thread I reckon, and not just coz I'm first up.
I'll post the details tomorrow however as I am knackered now!
tommiecoughlin (08-26-2008)
Old 08-27-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Bilbobaggins

Advanced Member

Shouts:

'twas the twilight of my virgin trip (albeit a 3 month one) and a few of us decided to go to Pattaya Park took some wenches with us too.
January 28th I think it was, I was due to fly home on Februray 3rd.
Had a good day there with the occasional dip in the water to cool off when we all decided to go on the water slides
A few of the other lads went down, it's a long way I can tell ya, and it was my turn.
I waited until the splash pool was clear and went on my wayyyyyyyyyy
Fuck this is fast was my thoughts as I hurtled down the (yellow) slide, hit the water like something reminiscent of Barnes Wallis' bouncing bombs, the force of hitting the water spread my legs apart resulting in the rather painful experience of my nutsack slapping into the water OUCH!!
It also pulled my legs so far apart (my fault really, I didn't keep my legs/feet crossed) that it stretched my pelvis at the front and cracked one of the bones.
I knew I had done something bad as soon as I hit the water but with only weighing about 10% in water, didn't know how bad it was.
The other lads were still in the water pissing themselves laughing at my entrance
waddled across to the edge of the water and somehow managed to pull myself out of the water and stood up. I hobbled the 30 yards or so to where we were all encamped and sat down.
The pain was becoming uncomfortable by now so I lied down fully just to combat the feeling.
I was led down for about an hour and the pain started to subside so I tried to get up, I managed to, with difficulty but knew something was wrong.
One of my matez went off to get a bahtbus down the hill at the back and side of the complex and the plan was for me to get in it and be taken to the hospital to be checked out.
I had one friend either side of me supporting me and managed to move my left leg forward a little but I couldn't even lift my right leg one millimetre.
Sat back down on a chair while an ambulance was called.
When the ambulance turned up I struggled onto the trolley and was wheeled to where the ambulance was waiting, by this time I had a crowd of about 50 Thais close to me and watching every little move.
I felt every little bump in the ground on the way to the ambulance.
It was an excruciating trip to the hospital, more than one time I let some expletives fly, it's times like that you really get to know how bad Pattayas roads are.
Arrived at Pattaya Memorial and was taken out of the ambulance and into their casualty ward. Even now every little movement was like someone was cutting into my insides with a red hot knife.
Ok, time for x-rays, taken off the hospital bed and onto a trolley which was bad, really bad, wheeled into x-ray, more pain getting on and off the x-ray slab.
Came back to wait in the casualty area, the doctors viewed the x-rays and decided they weren't clear, needed to be done again
After the 2nd lot of x-rays they took me to a private room (requested by me) and I was left alone for a little time, alone except the bird I was with and some friends.
Short while later the doctor came in and finally gave me a painkilling injection.
Another couple of hours later and the quacks came in with the news I had stretched and broken my pelvis.
I had 2 options, travel home on a stretcher across 4 seats in economy or stay and have an operation.
I decided on the latter and was told I would have to wait 2 days for the swelling to wane before I could have the op.
My room there was fantastic, good aircon, loads of space, private ensuite bathroom (not that I could get to it yet) full size fridge (why??) and cable tv Also a settee that doubled as a relatives bed, or a Thai honeys sleeping place
Had the op and was taken back to loom where I woke up an hour or two later, the pain was back with a vengeance again. Had to have a catheter fitted but the bird that did it was gorgeous!
The nurse came and gave me an injection, as she went out
the room I started to throw up, it was unbearable, putting strain on my stitches.
This happened another 2 times, after which I refused the painkiller. When the doctor heard this he came to see me and asked why, I told him my problem with the nausea, he called in the nurse and berated her in front of me, apparently she should have checked if I was nauseous the first time she gave the injection, as with morphine, a lot of people are sick, there is a second jab that counter-acts this, after this episode I always got the 2nd jab so was able to enjoy the true effects of the morphine
Cutting an already long story short, I stayed in the hospital 23 nights, I was treated brilliantly and recommend it there although obviously better to be in your hotel!
One little incident stays in my mind, during February, the Manchester derby was on (City-United to the uneducated!) so the bird I had staying with me went out and got me a few cans in (doctor said it was ok for me to have a few beers by then) and we watched the match. Near the end of the game, City scored an equaliser, I shouted out and forgetting my wound, sat up cheering, the door flew open and in rushed a couple of nurses and a doctor, they looked at me, saw my smile and the few empty beer cans and laughed and retreated
From here I went to stay at the Sunshine on soi 8, spoke to my insurance company and told them I needed a few days to get some strength back, they agreed. About 5 days later they called me on my mobile and told me an ambulance was on its way to pick me up so I told them I was out and as quickly as I could I got dressed and went out
I eventually stayed there for around 17 nights before I came home. I was flown home on BA, the only time I have ever travelled with them, I was in 1st class too, very nice but a weird feeling being so high off the ground (a 747) and also angled slightly to the outside.
Don't know what the other passengers made of the bloke in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops with crutches amongst them
Arrived at Heathrow with an ambulance waiting to take me home.
To answer your questions Tommie, the medical care was top notch, cannot fault it at all except maybe they were a bit insensitive to the levels of pain I was enduring whilst transferring me from trolley to slab/bed etc.
My insurance company were excellent, think it was www.insureandgo.com I used tho can't remember right now, all my hotel bills paid, phone calls to home etc, room service, laundry. I can remember thinking I was going away for either 94 or 95 days, there were 2 choices, 90 days or 120 day policies, I took the 120 and it was £48 ish I seem to recall, best money I ever spent.
Yes I would say Pattaya Park is safe, just keep your legs together when going down the yellow slide!
so the moral of the story is, always make sure you are insured and don't sponge off others
bazzap (08-29-2008), Gildas (08-27-2008), gonzo (08-29-2008), kuranda_bagman (08-30-2008), mack (08-28-2008), old crust (08-27-2008), penetrator (08-29-2008), roamer (08-27-2008), ROLAND (08-28-2008), Thebomb (08-27-2008), tommiecoughlin (08-27-2008)
Old 08-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
Bilbobaggins

Advanced Member

Shouts:

my fingers ache
tommiecoughlin (08-27-2008)
Old 08-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Bilbobaggins

Advanced Member

Shouts:

in total including my flight home, the insurance company told me, my total cost of care/afters was over £8,000, sooooooooooo always make sure you have insurance.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
tommiecoughlin

Advanced Member

Shouts:

tommiecoughlin is an unknown quantity at this point

bilbo...excellent report

an incredible journey and one that every board member should benefit from by reading.....I have taken the cheap route on my travel insurance in the past, but not anymore. I'm getting the deluxe plan from now on.

Thanks very much for taking the time to write such an extensive and informative post bilbo. very much appreciated
Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
roamer

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaggins View Post
my fingers ache
Top post though,read every word.
Sorry about what happened but thanks for recounting it.
roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
Bilbobaggins

Advanced Member

Shouts:

forgot to add........I'm now the proud owner of some Thai metalwork, they used a plate in my pelvis, screwed in place for life, unfortunately I don't set off the alarms when I go through the metal detector in airports
Old 08-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #10
penetrator

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaggins View Post
forgot to add........I'm now the proud owner of some Thai metalwork, they used a plate in my pelvis, screwed in place for life, unfortunately I don't set off the alarms when I go through the metal detector in airports
Dont believe the lying little fuckers, they probably used a bit of bamboo.
Bilbobaggins (08-29-2008)