Advanced Member

Shouts:

Default The Man City takeover

Don`t shoot me, you footie experts.

Got no team I support and only occasionally watch
matches,more so in Pattaya rather than back
home.

I enjoy watching Liverpool international matches
because they seem so intent on putting on a good show and perhaps playing just a step up
from what they would against another
British team.

As a complete outsider looking in, isn`t that what it should be about, entertainment and passion?

Same as sometimes the Scots international team
and supporters, even when they haven`t really got a chance of winning,there`s enthusiasm.

Throw big money at a club as is happening with Man City and I guess they`ll get results but is it
really satisfying for supporters?

Appears you can buy results and success by buying the best players in the world.

I suppose that`s the way of the football world
but comes across as being very clinical and
money orientated.
roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
ferocious

Northern monkey

Shouts:

i think stability has played a big part in man uniteds success over the years & these money men at chelsea & now city need to bear this in mind , if you chop and change managers it can set you back a season while your new man gets his own team together or playing his way... Chelsea have bought success to a degree but they don't play atractive football too often
roamer (09-02-2008)
Old 09-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
gonzo

Libertine

Shouts:

Not necessarily, the most entertaining game for me this weekend was watcing Arsenal tear Newcastle apart. How they didn't get more than 3 goals I'll never know but they were superb to watch and yet they have a very young squad, relatively cheaply assembled. The lack of depth in the squad is their limiation and the only reason I think they won't be serious contenders for the title but I'd be suprised if they fail to get any silverware again this season as on their day they're a match for anyone IMO.
roamer (09-02-2008)
Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
Bilbobaggins

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Don`t shoot me, you footie experts.
As a complete outsider looking in, isn`t that what it should be about, entertainment and passion?

Same as sometimes the Scots international team
and supporters, even when they haven`t really got a chance of winning,there`s enthusiasm.

Throw big money at a club as is happening with Man City and I guess they`ll get results but is it
really satisfying for supporters?
Paul, gonna take you to task a little.........

yes football is all about entertainment and passion.

What I will say is, Chelski have so many jonny-come-latelys (not a slur on our Jonnys boyztown escapades) that the atmosphere there is terrible, and despite all their money, they play shite football most of the time, but their fans love them winning things.

yoonighted won a title or two winning badly i.e. playing bad and winning 1-0 regularly, same as arsenal used to.

We're the masters of the piss-take, out of ourselves........32 years without a trophy of note.......

As I said before, even a League Cup win would mean more to us than all of yoonighteds leagues and cups put together. I agree it is against the spirit of the game to challenge this way, but at the end of the day the top 4 has stayed the top 4 because of one thing, CASH.
I would absolutely love it if the team I have supported all my life, the team that finished 5th twice in a row in the 90's but were denied european football because of the murdering scousers, won something.

I had 3 dreams in my life, football wise, to see City win at Wembley (99 3rd div playoff final, on penalties)

To see City play in Europe, the game at the millenium 4/5 years ago doesn't count so I am hoping we get to the group stages this year.......

The 3rd one is to see City win a major trophy. I hope that will happen sooner rather than later.

As I previously posted too, I hope City spend their money and keep their standing as a decent community orientated club, and not dissolve into a farce as Chelski have done.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
butterflyblonde

Mentally Disturbed

Shouts:

butterflyblonde is on a distinguished road

Some points I'd like to make is that while I wish any club every success, especially considering it's usually 1 of 3 teams that win the premiership which gets boring for everyone, there are right and wrong ways to go about it in my view.

Very important to keep your youth squad of local talent involved in the side, there's nothing wrong with adding a few quality foreigners into the mix, it makes the football exciting for starters as they often possess skills the majority of home grown talent simply don't have but the traditions of bringing through home pickings can easily be lost, the bigger a team becomes.

Baggins, our resident City supporter has already voiced this opinion and pointed out that Man Utd haven't introduced much home talent in recent times, the main problem is that when you become one of the teams that challenges for top honours on a yearly basis, the pressure and expectations builds so much that it reaches the point where managers of these top rates clubs hardly dare take the risk of not playing the Drogba's, Ronaldo's and so on. Leaving those brought through the youth system out in the cold in favour for foreigners.

Considering this arab owner is now talking about making City the biggest club in the world, I can only see that club going the same way over the next few years.
Of course the fans want long awaited success and I'm sure that will come fairly soon but making City into a 'super club' will inevitably attract more foreign players, plastic fair weather fans and a large dollop of unwanted attention, look at how Man Utd have gone from being a working class supported club like most others into one of the most hated clubs of all time for various reasons, Chelsea as another example were applauded when they won the title 1st time round, but look how they are now talked about with a similar type of hate like Man Utd, by fans up and down the country.

I can see this arab guy taking City into a similar situation, Man City could actually become the very thing the fans hate about Man Utd.

It would be nice to see them keep to their proud working class roots thats earns the respect of other fans, but I fear that will be lost forever as the inevitable 'team to hate' is created.
butterflyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterflyblonde For This Useful Post:
Bilbobaggins (09-02-2008)
Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
Bilbobaggins

Advanced Member

Shouts:

I agree bb...........
I stated on the frank sells city thread that I hope we don't go the same way as yoonighted.
City's Academy is the most productive in the Premier League I believe, and have produced some real quality players.
I would hate City to lose their rightful tag of being Manchesters community club.
Not sure we will attract the glory hunters, and really really hope we don't.
When City were in the 3rd division, 98-99, I went to 43 league games and quit 3 jobs because they wouldn't give me time off to go to the football. I'm not one of them. BTW a 'home' game for me is a 460 mile round trip, so glory hunter I am not.

Can't see us ever being hated a la chelski but the new owner isn't doing us any favours talking about ronaldo (hate the cunt) gerrard and fabregas.
butterflyblonde (09-03-2008)
Old 09-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
Bilbobaggins

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocious View Post
i think stability has played a big part in man uniteds success over the years
yoonighted became the world famous brand they are now because of the Munich air disaster. Most educated reds will freely admit that.
The one thing I respect them for, is that their money is self-generated.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #8
butterflyblonde

Mentally Disturbed

Shouts:

butterflyblonde is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Churchill View Post
no matter how famous man-ure think they are they never won the european cup twice, let alone 2 years on the bounce
Unlike the mighty Forest.
butterflyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:34 AM   #9
ferocious

Northern monkey

Shouts:

you can never win that cup too many times
Old 09-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
tom

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildas View Post
Still, the team usually play their best, the fans seldom cause any aggro beyond passing out pissed on the pavement. Its not a bad life being a Jock supporter though drawing with the Faroe Islands was pushing things a bit!
Failing to score against Estonia when they didn't turn up takes some beating as well.

Got to admit that the best holiday I ever had was in Torremolinos for the 1982 World Cup.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote