Pattaya-Revealed.com : Members Forum : Off-topic : The Man City takeover

Old 09-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
ROLAND

Shouts:

For the neutral fan who likes watching any kind of match on TV it is great news as the 'Top 4' is becoming a 'Top 5' now and that means one of them won't quailfy for the riches of the Champions League and it only takes a Villa or a Spurs to step up and we have a 'Top 6' and the league even more open.
Will Abramovich be so happy if Chelsea only qualify for the UEFA cup or will Liverpools Yanks be able to afford not qualifying for the Champions League ?
Interesting times ahead in the Premiership now.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
woodman2

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Taksin injected a lot off money into City last season. Result nowt. Didn`t they end with an 8 nil loss.

Its not just money that makes a winning team at anything. It is a culture of winning and a history of winning.

Loosing is the same. Just look at the Geordies. Rich local guy with plenty of money to invest and the club is still a laughing stock. Has been for ever.
woodman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
torrenova

Babysitter

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
Got to admit that the best holiday I ever had was in Torremolinos for the 1982 World Cup.
That wouldn't have anything to do with England not being there mate would it ?

If you need to find me, you will know where to look. I will be there long after I am gone.
torrenova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
tom

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrenova View Post
That wouldn't have anything to do with England not being there mate would it ?
I think England were drawn up in the Basque country somewhere. Still there were plenty of English birds around to clean our pipes.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:30 PM   #15
torrenova

Babysitter

Shouts:

I thought '82 was the year we didn't qualify ?

If you need to find me, you will know where to look. I will be there long after I am gone.
torrenova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #16
Bilbobaggins

Advanced Member

Shouts:

78 we didn't qualify....
82 we played in a weird 3 team per group second phase when we were knocked out. It meant the system was open to fixing as 2 of the 3 went on to the 1/4's.....
It was when the Germans and Austrians played out a 0-0 draw in possibly the worst ever international game.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #17
ferocious

Northern monkey

Shouts:

Bryan Robson scored the then fastest world cup goal in 82' against the frogs...

Last edited by ferocious : 09-03-2008 at 07:37 PM.
ferocious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ferocious For This Useful Post:
butterflyblonde (09-03-2008)
Old 09-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #18
old crust

Advanced Member

Shouts:

I enjoy watching the top teams on TV and I'm fascinated to see where the top league game will end up. Whether we like it or not a lot of our clubs are becoming the play things of foreigners holding folding. I wonder how long it will be before other foreigners start to poke their noses in. UEFA and FIFA will be seething with all the money coming in and I can see legal battles ahead when they attempt to restrict transfer and wage payments.

I've always had a soft spot for City, but their fans need to hound out the CEO who is suggesting that relegation from the Premier be stopped. Anyone thinking along those lines has no place in Football in my opinion.

Although the fans are of little importance in the top league now, there are still 'proper' football days to be had elsewhere. I enjoy going to my local conference league club. I can have a few pints before the game, turn up at 5 to 3 without a ticket, stand on a terrace, pronounce all of the players names when I'm slagging them off, and not have to take any shit from twats in high vis' jackets pretending to important. The good old days are still here, lets hope it stays that way.
old crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #19
Bilbobaggins

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old crust View Post
I've always had a soft spot for City, but their fans need to hound out the CEO who is suggesting that relegation from the Premier be stopped. Anyone thinking along those lines has no place in Football in my opinion.

Absolutely spot on mate.
He should have been reprimanded too.
City are just starting their 7th consecutive season in the top flight, the best they have done in recent times.
Maybe he's worried that fate will befall City again sometime
Old 09-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #20
tom

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old crust View Post
I enjoy watching the top teams on TV and I'm fascinated to see where the top league game will end up. Whether we like it or not a lot of our clubs are becoming the play things of foreigners holding folding. I wonder how long it will be before other foreigners start to poke their noses in. UEFA and FIFA will be seething with all the money coming in and I can see legal battles ahead when they attempt to restrict transfer and wage payments.

Although the fans are of little importance in the top league now, there are still 'proper' football days to be had elsewhere. I enjoy going to my local conference league club. I can have a few pints before the game, turn up at 5 to 3 without a ticket, stand on a terrace, pronounce all of the players names when I'm slagging them off, and not have to take any shit from twats in high vis' jackets pretending to important. The good old days are still here, lets hope it stays that way.

Unfortunately, I think it's ineveitable that a European Super League will be the eventual outcome of the difference between the haves and have nots. The goings on at Newcastle and West Ham over the last few days just prove that the 2nd tier clubs just won't be able to compete with the amount of cash being thrown about.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote