Pattaya-Revealed.com : Members Forum : Off-topic : But did she keep them in a jar?

Old 05-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
Fork Handles

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Default But did she keep them in a jar?

Angelina Jolie has undergone a double mastectomy, she has revealed in an open letter published in The New York Times entitled "My Medical Choice."

The 37-year-old actress – whose mother Marcheline Bertrand died in 2007 after battling ovarian cancer – took the decision to have both of her breasts removed despite being healthy, as she has been found to have the BRCA1 cancer gene, giving her an 87 per cent chance of developing breast cancer and 50 per cent risk of ovarian cancer.

Explaining her decision, Jolie writes: “My doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer, although the risk is different in the case of each woman.

Only a fraction of breast cancers result from an inherited gene mutation. Those with a defect in BRCA1 have a 65 percent risk of getting it, on average.

“Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy. I started with the breasts, as my risk of breast cancer is higher than my risk of ovarian cancer, and the surgery is more complex."

“On April 27, I finished the three months of medical procedures that the mastectomies involved. During that time I have been able to keep this private and to carry on with my work.”

Jolie's surgery was a success and doctors say her chances of developing breast cancer are now less than five per cent.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
frankmiller11

Shouts:

she is a brave women!
i know the decision must have been very tough for her.
frankmiller11 is offline   Reply With Quote