Pattaya-Revealed.com : Members Forum : Technical Forum : Board Technical Forum : 2 widows laptops for the price of 1 Mac

Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 AM   #11
Fork Handles

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Cunt...ripping off those poor old widows. ::
Old 11-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #12
mack

Foot soldier- Woosie Army

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
I'm much more into graphics than gaming
From things I've read many of the people into graphics and artistic things use Macs. Did you do the Bowie Aladdin Sane picture switch with your new Mac? Was it easier or better working on it vs the graphic work you did on other pics like Hilly A'hoy etc. with your old PC?
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:18 PM   #13
Chuck_Wao

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Sorry for being thick but I thought that Macs and PCs ran on the same chips nowadays (or were due to) so you could run windows on a Mac and Mac on a Windows ,if you know what I mean! If that was/is/will be true then a duel boot with both systems would be ideal esecially for a laptop IMO.
Chuck_Wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #14
tom

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
From things I've read many of the people into graphics and artistic things use Macs. Did you do the Bowie Aladdin Sane picture switch with your new Mac? Was it easier or better working on it vs the graphic work you did on other pics like Hilly A'hoy etc. with your old PC?
I done the Aladdin Sane thing a while back ......... I just used a morph program to blend the two faces. The best purchase I made as far as graphics is concerned was forking out on an A4 Wacom tablet. I bought a copy of Adobe CS3 in Panthip but haven't got round to loading it yet as I am still in BKK so I've not tried out the graphics side but I'm assured that the Mac makes all the difference when handling larger files. My camera is a 10 megapixels Panasonic so the photoshop files can be enormous and my laptop just struggled to handle editing them.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tom For This Useful Post:
mack (11-26-2007)
Old 11-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #15
torrenova

Babysitter

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
Jonny,

I never used any of the previous Mac OS so I don't really have much of a clue what's new and what isn't. The hardest thing I've found is that it actually does what you want to do with the minimum number of actions rather than having to find a way around Windows to achieve the same result.

I'm much more into graphics than gaming and can understand why gamers would want to stick to Windows but I'm pretty sure that once I get used to the Mac it'll cut out a lot of the hassles that I found in Windows. Although the machine cost a fair bit I try to look at it that I also picked up copies of Photoshop CS3 and Office 94 for the equivalent of a couple of quid so it balances things out a bit.
Office 94 ? Is that as far as the mac brigade have gotten to these days ?

You lot do know its nearly 2008 don't you ?

If you need to find me, you will know where to look. I will be there long after I am gone.
torrenova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #16
jonny

3k nerd club

Shouts:

Send a message via AIM to jonny

I think there is a 2008 office version about to come out torrenova but the 94 version is as good as any recent windows office version........well it does everything you need it to do anyway? I've got it on my mac and in 12 months I've not even opened it! Thats how much you need it!

Tom the graphics packages are good. When i used them on my windows machine i would usually have a few things open and it would just go slow and annoy me. The CS3 is great it just works like everything else really well. You'll have to learn a few shortcuts but basically instead of pressing ctrl plus shortcut key on a mac its the apple key and the same shortcut key. Then once you've got to grips with things like fn + F9 etc it starts to get really good. I'll never forget when the guy showed me mac osx for the first time the first thing he showed me was quiting apps. He opened up safari and by using apple + N opened up over 50 windows straight after each other in about 10 seconds. Then he said this is how you quit a prgram, he hit another shortcut key clicked his fingers and in the same time he had clicked his fingers all 50 windows were closed. No lag. no hanging. no thinking time just done and to prove it he opened up safari again straight away and did another 50 windows and quit them straight away.

btw chuck wao you can run windows natively on a mac no problem. I have mine dual booted and run my trading software on xp. It actually comes out of the box configured to run windows all you have to do is insert the windows disc. Apple knows its operating system is so much better than windows so are quite happy to let you run both. I've yet to see a windows system that lets you run mac osx......................
jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:02 AM   #17
tom

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Sorry ......... meant Office 2004 for Mac. They had 2008 at Panthip but the folk I use there said it was it was still a Beta version.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:49 PM   #18
Taltos

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Do you not have to reboot if you want to use Windows?
Taltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:24 AM   #19
jonny

3k nerd club

Shouts:

Send a message via AIM to jonny

there are a few different ways round it but to use it natively you have to reboot. I think I said in my post I have mine dual booted? Just means I have to restart.

I also have parallels running which is a program that you can run windows in through mac OSX. I use it sometimes but it means that it splits everything 50 50 between the 2 operating systems ie ram/graphics card etc etc
jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 AM   #20
mack

Foot soldier- Woosie Army

Shouts:

Jonny then you haven't gotten the OS X Leopard? Weren't you thinking about buying it? (I didn't).
mack is offline   Reply With Quote