Old 03-24-2024, 10:58 PM   #651
ferocious

Northern monkey

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
Fuck the IPL and all that shite. The real deal, also known as the County Championship, starts in 2 weeks time. Assuming it's not snowing or there's a heavy frost. Unfortunately the CC has been shunted into the nether regions off the season so The 100 has centre stage in the summer. FFS. Looking forward to freezing my bollocks off, and gazing at trees with no leaves on, whilst out in the middle blokes in white try and make a game of it despite the ECB enforced conditions.

Have you watched any of the hundred Frankie ? I've not watched 1 ball myself as it's basically written off the international game in August here in England
I'm considering getting a ticket against the West Indies at lords but only day 4 & 5 available the way we play and how bad WI are probably won't go to 4th day unless it rains £125 for a decent seat sure I read it's full refund if the game is over before your days play
It's either that or try for a one dayer or T20 against Australia in September
Old 03-25-2024, 12:33 AM   #652
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
I've no idea how that system works Baz but it's probably run by some Indian based statistician. So nothing makes sense mathematically plus India getting more points for winning a Test sounds about right.

I must have a bit of Indian in me somewhere coz I finally nutted it out.

You get 12 points for a win and 4 points for a "No Result" which everybody else calls a draw. Look at the 2nd graphic.

You do get deducted points for slow over-rates. There may be other ways to get points deducted but I don't know what they are.

This is the current table (Friday morning 25/3/24 Thai Time)

So look at India. Played 9 games so a possible maximum of 108 points. So 6 wins and 1 draw gives them 76 points minus a 2-point deduction for slow over rates in their loss in the 1st Test against South Africa

So 74 out of a possible 108 is 68.51%

Australia lost 10 points for a slow over-rate in the drawn Test at Manchester

England are the worst culprits as they lost points in 4 out of the 5 Ashes Tests for slow over-rates

It can be seen here

If Sri Lanka beat Bangladesh later today, England will be last on the table. However, if, and it is a big if, England win their next 6 Tests at home against the Windies and Sri Lanka this northern summer, they will improve to 48.43% (93 points out of a possible 192 points), good weather and no slow over-rate penalties permitting.

Just wondering if slow over rates are still a tactic in Test cricket? The West Indies always did it in the 70s & 80s before the rules were changed to a minimum amount of overs in a day's play. They got it down to 8-9 overs per hour. How can you score runs if you don't face enough balls?

Surely, in the "Spirit of Cricket", England would not stoop to these tactics?

Just a wind-up, lads

ferocious (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:44 AM   #653
ferocious

Northern monkey

Shouts:

I heard on radio today we'd be 5th if we never bowled slow
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM   #654
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocious View Post
I heard on radio today we'd be 5th if we never bowled slow

Probably, as you would have 40 points out of a possible 120 so 33.33% the same as Sri Lanka, Windies & Bangladesh but you have played more Tests. This will change again after this weekend with the upcoming SL/Bangla Test

Plus England has started with two 5 Test series against the top two Test-playing nations. It should get easier from here on in but nothing is a given as Australia found out when they lost to the lowly-ranked West Indies at the "fortress" Gabba.

And the Aussies somehow managed to beat the Kiwis but only thanks to Cameron Green in the First Test and Mitch Marsh and Alex Carey in the 2nd. The common thinking is that Australia is not playing well but still finding a way to win. It is the batting that is letting them down but selectors are not willing to change a winning team.

The 5 Test schedule against India for the next Australian summer has just been released. Cricket Australia has purposely started with Perth and Adelaide as that's where the Baggy Greens perform best. The idea is to be 2-0 up before heading to Brisbane, Melbourne & Sydney.

After that, the Aussies go to Sri Lanka for 2 Tests where they are notorious for playing badly. That should be their last matches in the current WTC cycle.

England go to Pakistan for 3 Tests in October then 3 Tests in NZ in Nov/Dec

So a long way to go yet

Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM   #655
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

This site gives you all the future programs coming up in cricket.

Here is a link to all of England's upcoming matches up to 2027

England Cricket Future Tours