Old 08-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
roamer

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Question Tablet question

Hi

I`ve never owned one, knowledge zero really.

I don`t really want one but realise could come in handy from time to time.
I`d need one that is both wifi capable and also take a data SIM

It would not get a lot of use, prefer one as light as possible
7 or 8 " screen.
Unlocked to network as I`d travel with it.

Any suggestions please,am I better off buying one in UK or Thailand, have no idea?

Thanks.

roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
gonzo

Libertine

Shouts:

Get an iPad Air mate, before long you'll be using it more than your laptop as it's that much more convenient. Buy in the UK rather than Thailand.
roamer (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
woodman2

Advanced Member

Shouts:

I got a Nexus 7 about 3 years ago. Wifi and 3G enabled. A great piece of kit for travelling and when I am trucking. Fits snug in my cargo pants pocket. Great build quality, high spec, 8 hour battery life and at £220 a bargain. Apparantly Google subsidised the price to get in on the market.

About 6 months ago the battery wouldnt charge. Before diving in and replacing the battery or charger I had a look online. Pages after pages of people having the same problem. The concensus from people who know a lot more about it than me was that the product had built in obsolescence.

That put me of getting the same brand again. This time I went for Samsung. Very happy with it. So far. As Gonzo says I rarely touch the laptop now even when at home.
roamer (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
Frankie

Advanced Member

Shouts:

I bought an iPad2 a couple of years ago. I wasn’t sure if it would be used much so I didn’t bother going for something like the iPad Air. Before I bought the iPad2 I looked at reviews on-line, initially I thought that Apple were far too expensive and something less expensive would do the same job. Reviews on-line were critical of almost every Tablet but minimal regarding iPads, so I bought one. My theory was why pay £100 for something that’s crap then have to replace it with something superior and pay twice the price a few months later.

The iPad2 has been great and I really like it. As Gonzo says it can make a laptop redundant. Once this iPad2 packs in, I have had it now for 2 years and no problems, I will replace it with an iPad Air or whatever Apples top spec iPad will be then.
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankie For This Useful Post:
Jake (08-08-2015), roamer (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 10:43 PM   #5
Taltos

Advanced Member

Shouts:

What about something like Note 4 or a similar size phone?
I have an Ipad Mini and use it a lot more than my laptop and you cold use a keyboard with it.

What are you going to use it for and what programs do you have/want to use?
Taltos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taltos For This Useful Post:
roamer (08-07-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
ferocious

Northern monkey

Shouts:

I've only owned 1 tablet the ipad2 I bought over 4 years ago it's got 3G too although I just tether it with my phone when no wifi , great bit of kit and survived a fall down some stairs and several other drunken mishaps
roamer (08-09-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
monkeyspanker

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Shouts:

Gave my ipad2 to the missus 10 year old, seemed the best thing for it.
I have the N7 as well, perfect size for travel, can do almost everything on it a laptop can do and the apps are easy to get free. One simple app and an cheap on the go (OTG) cable you can connect a memory stick to it for easy expansion and file swapping. Can do wireless printing.
Only thing with it is its not supported in Thailand so a Samsung tablet will probably serve you better. ( screen cannot be replaced in Thailand unless mega money)
roamer (08-08-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 03:01 AM   #8
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

I remember years ago when Andy Pen mentioned his missus had one of the first Samsung 7" tablets. That tweaked my interest. When Reg showed me his Ipad and what it could do in the resto at the Pacific Breeze, I knew I had to get one.

I am not an Apple person, so about 3 1/2 years ago,I bought an Acer 10" tablet simply coz it was Android, had wifi, a sim card slot and a real USB port. It was Ok and I still have it.

However it was made near redundant once I bought my Samsung Note 2 which does everything I need in a portable mobile device and with its 5 1/2" screen, I can see everything easily. My later model Samsung A7 phone is even better. Lighter faster, better camera and 4G. Use them both for just about everything. Like every one these days, these smart phones have become a near necessity to me.

None of the above can replace my laptops though. Larger screen, larger hard drives where I can store all my photos and it has a mouse!! And best of all it has the right software. Word, Excel, internet browsers, photo editing and many others. Yes they can be done on a tablet but a laptop is far easier to me.

Right now I am typing this on my old Dell 11" laptop with its 512meg ram, 30g hard drive and Windows 7 OS. Works like a charm though the keys are getting a bit sticky. Might upgrade it soon to its modern equivalent.

For me, the perfect combo is my desktop computer at home with large screen and printer/scanner, my laptop for traveling around and my smartphones for everyday mobile use. I have one of each in Australia & Thailand so carry next to nothing now when traveling between both countries.

I will still keep my tablet as it is worth next to nothing now. Will take it back to Pattaya with me. Still handy to have around to use for browsing the net around home. Will set it up next to my desktop with the VPN and watch my Australian horse racing on it. I tested it here in Oz for that and it works perfectly.

Sorry Paul as I know I have not been much help regarding your initial enquiry. Only relating my experiences.

roamer (08-09-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 03:07 AM   #9
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

And a question for Reg.

Do you use your Ipad2 much since you got your Iphone 6 with the big screen?
ferocious (08-09-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #10
ferocious

Northern monkey

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzap View Post
And a question for Reg.

Do you use your Ipad2 much since you got your Iphone 6 with the big screen?
Not as much but I use the iPad mainly for streaming my TV into my Apple TV now ..! never use my laptop now can't even stream my TV on it now as its on XP so bought a refurbished netbook for £45 on eBay which uses windows 7 and can stream my satellite channels while working away
bazzap (08-09-2015)