Two Australian batsmen nearly scored a century against them

Fork Handles (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #422
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
Just as well England bat all the way down to No 10, otherwise they would have been thrashed by the Windies rather than losing by a mere 381 runs.

Frankie, last Thurs night (Thai Time) I was watching the pre-lunch session from Barbados. It was day two of the game. England had not long started their innings and were doing OK.

On the Sky Sports coverage, they showed a graphic on the current English batting line-up. It looked quite impressive. The top ten all had decent first-class averages and all had scored first class tons.

Just after that, in what seemed against the run of play, Jennings was caught in the gully. England went to lunch at 30odd for 1. I decided to go to bed thinking that they would score 600+ over the next two days, bowl the WI out cheaply in their 2nd dig and win the Test by an innings. As we know, that didn't quite happen.

What an amazing Test. 18 wickets on day two, zero the next and 10 on the fourth day. Even though England was bowled out very cheaply (they tend to do that a few times in the Caribbean), I thought they were still in it at the end of day two as their bowlers fought back well. The great WI partnership on day three drove those thoughts away.

We all know England is better than that as their recent Test match performances show. However, a bad day with the bat followed by a bad day with the ball can stop even the best teams
Old 01-26-2019, 10:25 PM   #423
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Getting a cricket bonanza at the moment here in LOS. This was last Friday's viewing

The day starts at 0700 with an hour highlights of the England/WI Test from Sky Sports. After that, at 0845 I watch an hour highlights from BT Sports of the previous day's play between Aus & Sri Lanka Test. 1000-1730 the Aus/Sri Lanka Test followed by the Big Bash. Also starting at 1800, was the South Africa/Paki ODI. The West Indies/England Test starts at 2100 and goes through to 0430.

While all that was on, I was also watching all the Australian horse racing, trots, and dog races. A bloke needs about three TVs and three Android boxes to keep up with it all. "Happy time" got pushed back to 2300 during the lunch break of the Caribbean Test.

Nearly the same again on Sat with an NZ/India ODI being played.

Just gone 0600 on Sunday morning. Time to do it all again plus also watching the yearling sales from New Zealand

Who says there is nothing to do in the village in Isaan? It would be a bastard without a decent internet connection and Android box though.

Last edited by bazzap : 01-26-2019 at 10:27 PM.
bazzap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bazzap For This Useful Post:
Frankie (01-27-2019), kuranda_bagman (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 02:24 AM   #424
kuranda_bagman

Advanced Member

Shouts:

kuranda_bagman is on a distinguished road

Couple of blinding Aussie catches in their 2nd innings though
bazzap (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #425
Frankie

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzap View Post
Frankie, last Thurs night (Thai Time) I was watching the pre-lunch session from Barbados. It was day two of the game. England had not long started their innings and were doing OK.

On the Sky Sports coverage, they showed a graphic on the current English batting line-up. It looked quite impressive. The top ten all had decent first-class averages and all had scored first class tons.

Just after that, in what seemed against the run of play, Jennings was caught in the gully. England went to lunch at 30odd for 1. I decided to go to bed thinking that they would score 600+ over the next two days, bowl the WI out cheaply in their 2nd dig and win the Test by an innings. As we know, that didn't quite happen.

What an amazing Test. 18 wickets on day two, zero the next and 10 on the fourth day. Even though England was bowled out very cheaply (they tend to do that a few times in the Caribbean), I thought they were still in it at the end of day two as their bowlers fought back well. The great WI partnership on day three drove those thoughts away.

We all know England is better than that as their recent Test match performances show. However, a bad day with the bat followed by a bad day with the ball can stop even the best teams
I didn't like the result but it was an entertaining Test. But if you only score 77 in the first dig it's going to be a big struggle to get back into the game. Personally thought England, as usual, were undercooked but this is par for the course in Test Match cricket now. Rock up about a week before the first Test, some net practice and a meaningless game against some local side and your supposed to be good to go. Complete bollocks.

Good viewing times in the UK, play started at 2pm so as I work from home in the afternoons I can keep one eye on play. See you've got your priorities right Baz, Happy Time scheduled for the lunch interval. Excellent Time Management.
Frankie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankie For This Useful Post:
bazzap (01-27-2019), kuranda_bagman (01-27-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #426
Frankie

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Better performance by England in the Second Test. Just went down by 10 wickets. Maybe the Windies are on their way back? Or is it just another shite performance by England? 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other.

England early order batting is a massive problem. Shit start and a massive struggle to put a score on the board. To counteract that the Selectors seem to think the lower order has to be capable of scoring runs. You end up with bowlers being picked on their batting capabilities.

Last edited by Frankie : 02-02-2019 at 07:59 PM.
bazzap (02-04-2019), kuranda_bagman (02-03-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #427
Frankie

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Well after 2 abysmal performances England manage to win the third and final Test by 232 runs. Too little too late.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie For This Useful Post:
kuranda_bagman (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 10:07 PM   #428
kuranda_bagman

Advanced Member

Shouts:

kuranda_bagman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well after 2 abysmal performances England manage to win the third and final Test by 232 runs. Too little too late.
To little too late - Sounds like Australia mate :-)
Frankie (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #429
ferocious

Northern monkey

Shouts:

Quote:
Agreed but the second test was decided by the toss which we lost
My hopes are cook comes out of retirement and Jason Roy is employed at No3
Frankie (02-16-2019), kuranda_bagman (02-17-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #430
Frankie

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocious View Post
Agreed but the second test was decided by the toss which we lost
My hopes are cook comes out of retirement and Jason Roy is employed at No3
Think theres more chance of Borecott coming out of retirement than Cookie, but we can only hope. The front end batting is an absolute shambles, with no one able to nail a place down.

Ironic stat from last Test. Denley makes his Test debut at 32 years of age, same age Cookie was when he retired from his.
ferocious (02-17-2019), kuranda_bagman (02-17-2019)