Pattaya-Revealed.com : Members Forum : Pattaya Newbies Section : Some bad press about Pattaya Safety

Old 01-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #21
Delaware

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterman View Post
God knows how Gonzo survives.
gonzo.jpg

I do he is cpt black gone Awol, he gets killed every fucking night he is out, freaks the thai's something cronic.
Chuck_Wao (01-19-2008), gonzo (01-19-2008), nosehair (01-19-2008)
Old 01-19-2008, 01:41 AM   #22
monsterman

Advanced Member

Shouts:

It is True abiout Samui and Phuket having more Thai Mafia action , i have lived in pattaya 9 years and only had problem with real Thai mafia types once , although many problems with minor criminal types.

But in Phuket problems with real heavy mafia types were actually frequent in my 3 years there, and quite scary although i came out on top because the mafia types over reacted and fell foul of Phuket cops who are merciless 2 of the mafia guys ended up on the municipal rubbish tip with bullets in the head and police issue habdcuffs on ... a warning to others ,and i made good friends with a local police Colonel who sadly passed away last year in bangkok .

Samui is run by Local samui Mafia /Politcos and is in its own league.

Pattaya is different, the cops are lazy and work in a different way with the top echelon being moved around frequently and the real heavy mafia types are busy in Business and city hall so the crime is really street punks and scammers.
Almost 50 (01-20-2008), Classyexec (01-19-2008)
Old 01-19-2008, 05:37 AM   #23
butterflyblonde

Mentally Disturbed

Shouts:

butterflyblonde is on a distinguished road

Let's put it this way, a lot of big spenders go to those islands, mafia will always be where the money is.

I once took a pattaya girl to phuket with me for 1 week of the 2 I was staying there, gave her a nice holiday and all that. I asked her if she would like to try working in phuket instead and after she had spoken with a few locals she told me 'too much mafia in patong' and she preferred to stay in pattaya.
butterflyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:43 AM   #24
Classyexec

Advanced Member

Shouts:

thanks for this feedback; appreciate it (thanks for taking the question seriously :-) )
Classyexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:44 AM   #25
Classyexec

Advanced Member

Shouts:

good point and good advice; thank you
Old 01-19-2008, 05:54 AM   #26
Classyexec

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflyblonde View Post
I asked this question on the flb forum a long time ago as I heard all kinds of things about pattaya being a ' bangkok on steroids' with a high crime rate and was also told (not by flb members) it was an unfriendly atmosphere when compared with a party island like phuket. Far more of the hooligan element etc..

And to be honest, I felt relaxed by the 2nd night and realized this place was'nt the 'snake pit' it was hyped up to be. It is of course fairly large in size, higher numbers of people would surely mean a higher chance of incidents would'nt it?

To be honest , I would worry more in phuket or samui as both are notorious for having a large mafia type element. It may even be fair to suggest both of those islands may have had more violent incidents per square mile when you compare the size of the places in relation to pattaya times the amount of incidents that have occured in each over the years. But I'm only guessing.

COMMON SENSE!!! Use it just as you would anywhere in the world.

Spread your money out into different pockets and keep an eye on anyone approaching you and getting up close on the street, on a songtaew (baht bus) or wherever. Those slim travel wallets that can be worn under a shirt work very well. Only take what you think you need for the night and don't flash it around. When I pay for drinks, I could easily peel an orange inside my pockets too.

Keep to well lit areas where there are crowds, if you walk down deserted alleyways in the dark, who do you suppose might be there waiting for you? Beach road at night is notorious for ladies/ladyboys that may be high on the drug yabba or whatever, just dont walk around there when it's late. Get on a baht bus rather than walk if you must travel down there.

Keep control of yourself, try not to get so drunk you don't know where you are or what you are doing. Vunerable you will be.

Make sure your catch for the night has an ID card and hands it over to reception, it may be a good idea to speak with the reception staff on arrival and ask them to keep all ID cards until you appear at the desk in the morning with the girl or they call you up to check you are happy and everything is in order, before letting the girl walk out. This applies no matter if the girl is from a bar or freelancer in a disco/off the street.

Don't leave anything is sight that can be stolen in your room, it's very easy to fall into the trap of feeling relaxed and safe, dropping your guard and perhaps leaving your new digi cam on view in your room. The cleaner could nick it, so could your lady from the night before. Hotel safes are there to be used. (even the safe ain't no guarantee I hear you all cry)

If you see a fight of any kind, get the fuck out of there and do not get involved no matter the circumstances. If you want to help, call the tourist police. That's about all you can do without getting beaten up/killed yourself or arrested when the police turn up.
An example, you might see a thai guy beating a thai girl, poking your nose in could see the both of them turn on you and ever other thai within half a mile. No joke.

That's about all I can think of for now in terms of a sensible way to approach the visit. Keep a low profile, that's my advice. And you will simply be just another face in the crowd and unlikely to have anything other than a jolly good time.
Thanks very much for your straightforward, thoughtful (and obviously knowledgeable) response. I sincerely appreciate it....I'm not one to get all "frigged out" about the horror stories, but as a true (never yet been to LOS) Newbie, with kids I'd like to see when I return from LOS, the other stuff I was reading was sobering, to say the least. It does make sense that with so many people, so much beer and booze and the general "free spirit" that makes Pattaya wonderful (or at least sound wonderful) that it's just wise to be smart, as you suggest.

Thanks again
Old 01-19-2008, 06:42 AM   #27
sabang

Advanced Member

Shouts:

I have lived here almost two years, and still occasionally get my bill loaded.

I take it in stride.

If you haven't been to DC, Rio, sao paulo, East side LA, Hollywood, Athens, Lima, Mexico border towns, Panama, Tenderloin, Manila, Angeles, Vietnam, Kings Cross (both), Rome, south Houston, Miami etc then at least keep your eyes open.

Do remember they drive on the other side of the road here- this is probably the most challenging aspect to drunk shermans.
sabang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sabang For This Useful Post:
nosehair (01-19-2008)
Old 01-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #28
monsterman

Advanced Member

Shouts:

I have worked all over south america , africa and eastern europe and its much safer here.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #29
penetrator

Advanced Member

Shouts:

I was at Electric Avenue (as sung about by Eddy Grant) in Brixton the other day a few hours after someone was stabbed and killed over an orange.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #30
gonzo

Libertine

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by penetrator View Post
I was at Electric Avenue (as sung about by Eddy Grant) in Brixton the other day a few hours after someone was stabbed and killed over an orange.
Some people just worry too much about getting scurvy.
butterflyblonde (01-19-2008), Chuck_Wao (01-19-2008), Delaware (01-22-2008), penetrator (01-19-2008)