Pattaya-Revealed.com : Members Forum : Off-topic : Sporting Tragedys

Old 12-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
BigBadSi

2k No Life Club

Shouts:

Default Sporting Tragedys

Which tragedy sticks out in your mind most

For me it was the Benn v Mcclellan fight, i can remember watching it with my old man, it was one of the most brutal fights i can remember the power of the shots both men landed was immense.
When Mcclellan went down on one knee the second time you could see it inhis face he knew something was wrong ,then he collapsed in the corner,I can remember Benn and Don King not giving a fuck,in fairness to Benn he had been getting alot of shit before the fight saying he wasnt in mcclellans league and maybe just thought the reporter was trying to take the glory away from him.Mcclellan ended up with brain damage ,blind and mostly deaf.

Whats more of a tragedy is the boxing world couldnt have given a monkeys it took nearly 10 years for anyone to visit,it was only cos of a trust fund that was set up that people even knew he was alive.

What sporting tragedy sticks out in your mind
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigBadSi For This Useful Post:
macky (01-08-2011), Mirkwood (01-03-2011), old crust (12-31-2010)
Old 12-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
bigphill67

Advanced Member

Shouts:

the death of english football world cup 2010
soi 2 (12-31-2010)
Old 12-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
ROLAND

Shouts:

When I followed through on the terraces at Mansfield in 1987, shat myself good and proper and the only bright spot was that nobody wanted to sit next to me on the train home.
Had the pissed ripped out of me for years after that.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
thailearner (01-01-2011)
Old 12-31-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
soi 2

Advanced Member

Shouts:

I remember the Benn - McClellan fight as well. If McClellan hadn't been so badly injured it would be talked about as one of the great fights. Benn was always an exciting fighter to watch but that was his greatest comeback.

Sadly another boxing tragedy also in the middleweight divison around that time was Michael Watson in the Chris Eubank fight. If you remember Watson versus Jamaican Mike McCallum I can't help thinking some bad damage was done in that fight. Watson was a nice guy and sad to see him end up like that.

Before my time but the anniversary of the Ibrox Disaster is nearly here. 2nd January 1971 when 66 people died.

In 2011, the 40th anniversary of the disaster will be commemorated before the Old Firm game on the 2nd of January 2011 where there will be a one minute silence before the game. Both teams will wear black armbands as a sign of respect and will also be led out by John Greig and Billy McNeill - the respective club captains at the time of the disaster, albeit that the latter was out injured at the time and did not actually play in the January 2nd game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibrox_disaster
BigBadSi (12-31-2010), Mirkwood (01-03-2011), old crust (12-31-2010)
Old 12-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
old crust

Advanced Member

Shouts:

I remember the Ibrox disaster, terrible business. Lets hope the minutes silence is properly observed.

Also remember the Bradford and Hillsborough disasters. Hillsborough was an incident waiting to happen. City played WBA in the 1969 semi final and we had the Leppings Lane end. There was a crush prior to kick off and my Dad had to lift me up and throw me onto the heads of other fans. Lucky for us there were no fences so we spilled onto the running track and apart from a few bruises no serious harm was done.
soi 2 (12-31-2010), thailearner (01-01-2011)
Old 12-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
InCider

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Heysel Stadium disaster (1985 European Cup Final Liverpool v Juventus).

39 people died and English teams were banned from European competitions for years after that.
InCider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InCider For This Useful Post:
thailearner (01-01-2011)
Old 12-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
penetrator

Advanced Member

Shouts:

The Eubank - Watson one is probably what I remember most clearly, I watched it in the clubhouse of a caravan park in Clacton, my mates brother and his mate had booked a week there for some strange reason and we drove them up there and stayed for a couple of days. Was fucking loving Watson giving Eubank a lesson and then if I remember rightly he put him down but failed to get his guard up properly at the re-start and took a horrible uppercut. Michael Watson lives or at least did live not too far from me, used to sometimes see him in his wheelchair, poor fucker. Also remember Ayrton Senna getting killed, watched it round a mates flat in a towerblock in Walthamstow with a stinking hangover made worse from feeling sick after taking some fat slags back there the night before, makes me heave just thinking about it even now.
monkeyspanker (01-01-2011), thailearner (01-01-2011)
Old 12-31-2010, 11:54 PM   #8
foz

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigphill67 View Post
the death of english football world cup 2010
Dont you mean 1990 when we got rid off SIR bobby robson

Meself talked a good mass deaths/violence and disorder the first time england played ireland at landsdown road. goverment still cover this up as they had extradited a couple off the wanted IRA men that day. As the hooligan side we smashed landsdown road caused havoc allday long . Smashing oconnell st and surrounding area We where on rampage for a good 4 hours after the game then we got what was coming to us . Got ambused by a Free bobby sands march . We got totally ripped apart. Afterwards it was a sight for sore eyes bodies lying everywhere. Yet not a word in the papers or on the news. Total goverment coverup. A lot worse than the 2nd time we went and game got abbondened.

But look at them all hillsborough had to be the worst
soi 2 (01-01-2011), thailearner (01-01-2011)
Old 01-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
monkeyspanker

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Shouts:

Mines totally different.( Edit in just noticed it on Pens post)

Used to be a big F1 fan, dont get the time now and the new regs make it boring, but i still remember the death of Ayrton Senna at San Marino.

Roland Ratzenberger killed the day before, but can still remember the in helmet microphone recording everything and the screams as he hit the wall.

Thinking about it caused me to google it and some bits on wikipedia i didnt know, and that chief designer Patrick Head was blamed for the steering failure

"The cause of the accident has been identified as a steering column failure. Many court cases followed immediately afterwards and the judgment went on for years, with Williams being investigated for manslaughter. The last word from the Italian Court of Appeal was on April 13, 2007. In the verdict numbered 15050 the Court stated the following: "It has been determined that the accident was caused by a steering column failure. This failure was caused by badly designed and badly executed modifications. The responsibility of this falls on Patrick Head, culpable of omitted control". Even being found responsible for Senna's accident, Patrick Head wasn't arrested: in Italy the statute of limitation for manslaughter is 7 years and 6 months, and the final verdict was pronounced 13 years after the accident "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayrton_Senna

Last edited by monkeyspanker : 01-01-2011 at 03:34 PM.
monkeyspanker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeyspanker For This Useful Post:
foz (01-01-2011), thailearner (01-01-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
Mirkwood

Macks 5k club

Shouts:

The Eubank /Benn fights that ended in tragedy were really sad.

However, I will never forget Bradley Stone. Young lad good boxer who died in the ring.
Mirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote