Pattaya-Revealed.com : Members Forum : Off-topic : Sheffield United win compensation in Tevez case

Old 09-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
roamer

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Question Sheffield United win compensation in Tevez case

I don`t understand, why was Tevez inelligible to play for West Ham and what are third party ownership rules?
ta

Seems to be making big news.

"An English FA arbitration panel has ruled in favour of Sheffield United's claim for compensation against West Ham United in the Carlos Tevez affair, the Championship (second division) club confirmed on Tuesday.

In a statement on their website (www.sufc.co.uk), the club said they were successful in the case, although the exact amount of compensation to be awarded has not yet been announced.

Club chairman Kevin McCabe has said in the past that relegation cost the Blades at least 50 million pounds ($92.23 million) in lost revenues. A figure of 30.0 million pounds compensation has been reported, but has not been confirmed.

However, McCabe told the club's website on Tuesday: "I can confirm that both clubs have been notified of the ruling. The arbitration panel has awarded in our favour.

"The matter is still legally in process so I do not wish to comment any further until we have completed that process."

United were relegated from the Premier League on the final day of the 2006-07 season, when West Ham beat Manchester United 1-0 with a goal from Tevez and the Blades lost 2-1 at home to Wigan Athletic.

The Yorkshire club appealed to the League claiming that Tevez, and his fellow Argentine Javier Mascherano were ineligible to play for West Ham under league
rules regarding third-party ownership.

The Premier League subsequently fined the Hammers a record 5.5 million pounds for fielding the players during the season. Mascherano had little impact playing only five matches for the Hammers, but Tevez scored six goals in the last 10 matches of the campaign to revive West Ham and help save them from relegation.

Sheffield United initially appealed to be re-instated to the Premier League but after that was rejected they pursued a financial settlement.

A West Ham spokesperson told BBC Radio 4 on Tuesday: "We need to digest the full findings of the arbitration panel and will consult our lawyers on the next steps we might take before making any further comment."

Tevez subsequently moved to Manchester United while Mascherano now plays for Liverpool."
roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
old crust

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Under league rules clubs cannot register players who are under contract to a third party. The blame for this is with our pathetic FA and Premiership leaders who should have stepped in before the two players pulled on a Hammers shirt.
old crust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old crust For This Useful Post:
roamer (09-23-2008)
Old 09-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Bilbobaggins

Advanced Member

Shouts:

to be fair O.C. West Ham knew the rules, or at least should have done, so therefore should never have signed them under this agreement.
The hammers should in my opinion have been docked points.
And I actually like the clarets...........a bit!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:53 AM   #4
gonzo

Libertine

Shouts:

Fair play to sheffield, I've got no particular allegiances either way but they deserve the full 50 mil IMO as they were cheated out of the premiership.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
old crust

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaggins View Post
to be fair O.C. West Ham knew the rules, or at least should have done, so therefore should never have signed them under this agreement.
I agree, but the FA should have refused their signing on forms. The FA make a right song and dance of things if a Sunday morning club tries to sign an illegal player. The Leicestershire FA produce a book full of hundreds of names who are banned for one thing or another. Anyone trying to sign one of the banned players is refused in a minute. Football matters should be decided on the pitch and not afterwards in a committee room.
old crust is offline   Reply With Quote