Pattaya-Revealed.com : Members Forum : Off-topic : Any advice on giving up smoking

Old 09-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
woodman2

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Whatever aids you use in the end you just have to tough it out.

I was smoking 40 Gold Leaf a day. I used to sound like a set of bagpipes being sat on when I woke up. I changed to Silk Cut in a effort to wean myself off the tabs. To get the same nicotine belt I ended up smoking 60 of them a day.

When I went back to the Gold Leaf I found I was now on 60 of them a day. That was the worlds worst attempt to stop smoking. In the end I did it cold turkey with my last half pack on the bedside table for the thick end of a year.

When I gave up I could get 20 fags and a Daily Mirror for less than a quid so it was a while ago.
Mirkwood (09-10-2011), old crust (09-08-2011), soi 2 (09-09-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
old crust

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Gold Leaf, they bring back some teenage memories. 60 a day and I would have been tarmacing the drive.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
Thebomb

liddle bit poster nearly non poster

Shouts:

i used to be a full time smoker...never heavy but maybe 7-10 a day but gave it up for the boxing...i had an aim...and i had to do it ...now ive retired im back on em but only smoke when im drinkin.....as long as i keep myself busy through the week with work and the gym i dont think about it but as soon as i have a beer its game over and ive got to smoke....but i dont light one up in the mornin.........it works for me...i dont think i could give em up totally but just try smokin when u drink for starters cos thats when u crave the most.......as long as u keep it in your head its only when your drinkin an take it from there

goodluck
Thebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thebomb For This Useful Post:
Mirkwood (09-10-2011), soi 2 (09-09-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #14
barney

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuranda_bagman View Post
In general I believe the most important thing about giving up is that mentally, you must really want to.
Exactly what I have always told people. When I gave up I found it easy to do as I REALLY had had enough of the fucking things!
Smoked 20 to 30 a day for over 10 years and had been a smoker for a few years before getting to that stage...... and I felt like shit because of it.
If you are only giving up because you think you ought to but actually still like smoking then it must be a real uphill struggle. Good luck.
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barney For This Useful Post:
Bilbobaggins (09-08-2011), Mirkwood (09-10-2011), soi 2 (09-09-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #15
Bilbobaggins

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Go for it Gaz, but repeating what Baggy said, don't get downhearted if you fail first time.

I smoked, albeit when younger, one day I realised it was stupid, and quit, but I hadn't been on them for 20 years (but hearing about Glasgee and knowing you are 37, probably 30 years for you ;o) ) I gave up on the spot.

My old man used to smoke 60 B&H a day, had a cancer scare, he gave up on the spot, I never, ever thought that would happen, he used to light up all the time even when feeling rough as a badgers arse.

My ex-stepfather used to smoke 80 a day, he was a hard working, fit builder, never ill, he ended up with Hodgkins Lymphona, he was rotten for a year, he gave up on the spot too.

Don't let it get to those stages mate, it's not pretty.

Remember too, it does affect others, as you have mentioned already with your family member.

There is a guy I used to work with who has just given up, he is using patches and an electronic cigarette, he swears by them.

Don't get down if one way doesn't work, try another, until you find one that suits you.

Oh yeah, and remember, giving up will allow you to extend your trip by another 2 weeks or more every year mate, everyone's a winner!

Good luck mate, I reckon you can do it
kuranda_bagman (09-12-2011), soi 2 (09-09-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #16
ferocious

Northern monkey

Shouts:

I stopped for 5 years I'd smoked for 20 years and said when I get back from my next holiday i'm quitting and being a man of my word the day I got back from my holiday I had about 10 smokes left in my pack chucked them to one of the lads and never touched one for 5 year
Bilbobaggins (09-08-2011), soi 2 (09-09-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
soi 2

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman2 View Post
Whatever aids you use in the end you just have to tough it out.
Yeah I hear what you're saying. I'm thinking of it in two stages. Stage one - stop and beat the initial cravings. Stage two - get out of the routine. Any aids would just be to get me through stage one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebomb View Post
..i had an aim...and i had to do it ...now
Maybe I should try and set a target, like doing a 10k run or something like that to train for. That might give me an added focus to stopping smoking and help the lung function. That might be a goal. Will give it some thought.

Everyone I've spoken to who has stopped says, drinking is the hardest bit. Not smoking when drinking. That's why I never drink alcohol on long haul flights. Because I know I'd want a smoke. Oh well, cross that bridge when I come to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaggins View Post
I smoked, albeit when younger, one day I realised it was stupid, and quit, but I hadn't been on them for 20 years (but hearing about Glasgee and knowing you are 37, probably 30 years for you ;o) ) I gave up on the spot.
Thanks Bill, I'll give stopping a good go. I've been smoking properly since I was 18. So that's nineteen years of heavy smoking ! You can get away with it when you're young but it's catching up with me now. I know it's time to jack it in.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #18
soi 2

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney View Post
If you are only giving up because you think you ought to but actually still like smoking then it must be a real uphill struggle. Good luck.
Heh heh I do actually enjoy smoking. Just the wheeze/ cough that has crept in is pissing me off. Just need to think about that when I want a fag. Cheers.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #19
KeeNeow

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Good luck Gary.
soi 2 (09-09-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #20
Mirkwood

Macks 5k club

Shouts:

You gave me some diet tips fella and for sure I can help you with this smoking shit.

I was a heavy smoker for years, loved it. Used to have about 5 before I got to work. Loved the first one in the morning with a coffee. B&H were my thing.

I used to work in Amsterdam. That's what ended my smoking days. Of course I was on the weed big time. We smoked it 24/7 at work as well. In reality we probably smoked 20 fags a day plus 10 joints. It all got a bit much. My throat started burning everytime I had a fag. I had a cough then my foreman died from lung cancer.

As an aircraft painter it hit me that smoking plus breathing in shit paint is going to kill you double fast.

I'd tried giving up millions of times. Been through the old scenario of chucking out half a packet of fags and saying that's it.

One day I really wanted to give up. I'd had enough.

And just did.

Maybe it's not now but one day YOU WILL KNOW WHEN YOU WANT TO STOP. When that time comes it's easy.

Same as dieting. I tried this and that loads of times. One day my mum had a shocked look on her face and said I looked so fat she couldnt believe it.

Again, I WANTED to be thin so did it.

Have a good think. Do you really want to stop? If the answer is yes it will be a bastard but you can do it. Trouble is you will scoff your head off. That's how I got fat in the first place. Before I was like a rake.

I stopped for 5 years totally. Even got to the stage I thought smoking was dirty.

Thumbs Up bar has mucked me up. I got on those apple mint pipes and now have one in home. I have a puff quite a bit now but have it under control. It's great if you can get to this stage but it will take years. I'd never go back on the fags but always get on the blow in Amsterdam. I love being able to take it or leave it.
Mirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirkwood For This Useful Post:
Frankie (09-10-2011), soi 2 (09-10-2011)