Old 12-05-2023, 11:24 PM   #641
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
I don't think Warner realises that all he will really be remembered for is Sandpapergate. No matter what his career stats are they will be completely eclipsed by his role in Sandpapergate. For some strange reason he seems to think that's all forgotten about now. The rare few times I've seen him on TV he comes across as a thick, arrogant cunt. Which is what he is.

Mitch did not miss him about this either. I am picking up more snippets from the article from various sources

Quote:

Johnson, who played alongside Warner for five years, also delivered a savage sledge at Warner comparing his farewell to the end of Steve Waugh’s career, where fans took red hankies to wave in Waugh’s final Test.

“What will fans bring for Warner? Bunnings would sell out of sandpaper,” Johnson wrote.
(Bunnings is a large hardware chain in Australia)

Comments on social media flying everywhere as you can imagine.

Many were about this comment from our Paki opener

Quote:

Warner’s opening partner Usman Khawaja said his fellow left-hander had paid his dues for the Sandpaper-gate scandal.

Khawaja said he “strongly disagreed” with Johnson’s column, adding Warner and former skipper Steve Smith, who was also banned for a year, had paid for their mistakes.

“Davey Warner and Steve Smith are heroes in my mind,” Khawaja said.

“They missed a year of cricket through dark times in Australian cricket but they have paid their dues.

Calling Smith and Warner heroes did not go over too well

And what about this one from Warner's manager?

Quote:
Warner is yet to respond to the explosive remarks but his manager James Erskine has called Johnson “ignorant”.

“This reminds me of backseat drivers, they’re bloody annoying, and quite frankly, we don’t need it,” Erskine told SEN. “(Johnson) is basically making comments that I think are incendiary.

“Come up with an alternative solution, pal. If he thinks basically three people did Sandpaper-gate, then he should go to the moon for holiday. I mean, it’s just a joke.”

Like other countries, Australia has an ageing men's Test cricket team. Eight who played in Newlands in 2018 will probably start in the First Test against Pakistan next week.

Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Marsh M.
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

In a few more years, most of them will be gone forever

Thank fuck. We can have our Test team back. Something to be proud of again

ferocious (12-06-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 07:14 PM   #642
Frankie

Advanced Member

Shouts:

I think MJ's comments reflect worldwide opinion of Warners involvement in Sandpapergate. Although it maybe history and those caught were "punished" it won't be forgotten.
Frankie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie For This Useful Post:
bazzap (12-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2024, 10:33 PM   #643
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Some bits & pieces.

In recent years, Bazza's party trick if I am discussing cricket with someone, is to ask if they know who has the 2nd best batting average in Test cricket. Nobody ever got it right. The answer was Adam Voges' at 61.97.

A couple of times, Smith and Labuschagne have gone past Voges but have not been able to maintain that average

Now we have a new kid on the block. Young Harry has moved past Voges. And look at his strike rate!! Nearly a run-a-ball

I have always had the understanding that Test averages were based on a minimum of 20 Tests so this list from Cricinfo does not reflect that. Still, Harry is doing okay so far. An upcoming tour to India may test him but good luck to the lad.

I thought someone might have mentioned that the only reason Australia won the recent World Cup was that they had a Pom (Josh Inglis) in their side

Now the Perth Scorchers have taken it to a new level.

This is their winning batting scorecard from a couple of nights ago. Guess where every one of these blokes was born?

Is Test cricket on its last legs?

South Africa sending a 14-man Test side to New Zealand with 7 uncapped players including the captain. Likewise, the Windies with 7 uncapped players in their squad are about to face Australia. These are WTC matches for fucks sake.

These teams will probably perform better than expected but still.

Both "series" are only two Tests. Same as the recent South Africa/India Test "series".

T20 of course is the culprit. And it will only get worse if the rumour of a 2nd IPL backed by Saudi money to be played in an October "window" comes to fruition.

LIV Cricket anyone?

Frankie (02-09-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM   #644
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Who will ever doubt Ben Duckett again??

A win for the ages. A win for the Empire. Enjoy the moment lads.

Indian cricket must be in near meltdown at the moment.

Losing the "unlosable" ODI World Cup final, going from 153/4 to 153 all out in the Cape Town Test (though they ended up winning it), and now losing this one in Hyderabad after leading by nearly 200 on the first innings. Crikey.

I'm not talking about the Australian Test team at the moment other than our "Pretty Boy" captain maybe won't declare when behind again plus he should stick to commenting on cricket and not give his opinions on moving the date of Australia Day during a Test match

ferocious (01-28-2024), Frankie (02-09-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 12:57 AM   #645
ferocious

Northern monkey

Shouts:

Let's see how the 2nd test goes Bazza Rahul and jadeja out of India team but think kohli is back which should give them runs and gobbing off leach out for us and Anderson in also the anglopaki in forget his name but he missed the first test due to visa issues
Frankie (02-09-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 11:48 PM   #646
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

The current (as 0f 4/3/24) WTC Points Table

Sometimes I wonder if my mind is going as I reach my senior years.

I understand that because not every team can play the same number of Tests over a qualifying period, the ladder is determined by a winning percentage.

Is that right?

If so, then India winning 5 from 8 should be 62.5%

New Zealand is OK

Australia 7 from 11 is 63.63% according to my Chinky phone calculator. Normally I do these in my head.

Bangladesh is OK

Pakistan 2 from 5 should be 40%

West Indies and South Africa are OK

England 3 from 9 should be 33.33%, not 19.44%

Sri Lanka is the easiest of the lot to work out

Looking at the points side of things, it seems that you get 12 points for winning a Test.

Again NZ, Banglas, Windies, Saffas are all ok

Australia, Pakistan, and England have their points reduced somehow. I assume slow over rates? Really?

England are only getting 7 points for each winning Test

And fucking India somehow gets extra points for winning a Test

Does anyone know how this all works?

ferocious (03-05-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 07:31 PM   #647
Frankie

Advanced Member

Shouts:

I've no idea how that system works Baz but it's probably run by some Indian based statistician. So nothing makes sense mathematically plus India getting more points for winning a Test sounds about right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie For This Useful Post:
bazzap (03-11-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 01:16 AM   #648
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Well, the IPL circus starts tonight (Thai Time). The only show in town for the next two months. Totally innocuous to me. The same as all the other T20 leagues around the world. You can add the T10s and Hundred as well. Actually, I have never watched a game of the "Hundred" because it has no appeal to me.

The IPL tv coverage seems to be getting copied everywhere now. Screaming commentators (EVERYTHING is fantastic, tremendous, superb), 3 or 4 crowd shots after every ball, every ball is replayed etc etc. Does anybody give a fuck who wins or loses?

It is all show. Just "entertainment" like a circus. It is a play thing for the owners of the franchises and for the players, it is only about the money which is understandable.

No wonder why Daryl Mitchell is playing in it

This, after losing two Tests against Australia recently

That's up there with Harry Brook's "moral victories" and just about anything that comes out of Ben Duckett's mouth. "We can chase down anything" and then proceeds to lose by an innings and 64 runs.

Even Ben Stokes is still on the happy juice

From the BBC website after the recent series loss to India

" We're very disappointed, but write this team off, write me off at your own peril."

"The media use the name Bazball - everyone says 'What is it?'," said Stokes. "In my opinion it's wanting to be a better player. In the face of defeat and failure, Bazball will hopefully inspire people to become better players and become even better than what we are."

May I suggest that Stokes have a look at the current Test Championship ladder?

Yes, I am being selective with these quotes but they did say it.

Maybe Mitchell wants a "participation" medal like the kids get?

To most Australian cricket followers, they would probably find all this gibberish totally laughable. Especially to the older generations like me.

There is only one acceptable result from a game of cricket. No matter how you get there as long as it is within the rules.

Rant over

On another subject, I somehow missed this from last year

Australia is no longer alone in losing a Test after enforcing the follow-on

We welcome the Poms to a very select club

ferocious (03-24-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 02:47 AM   #649
ferocious

Northern monkey

Shouts:

At least we got beat without cheating too
bazzap (03-23-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 09:11 PM   #650
Frankie

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Fuck the IPL and all that shite. The real deal, also known as the County Championship, starts in 2 weeks time. Assuming it's not snowing or there's a heavy frost. Unfortunately the CC has been shunted into the nether regions off the season so The 100 has centre stage in the summer. FFS. Looking forward to freezing my bollocks off, and gazing at trees with no leaves on, whilst out in the middle blokes in white try and make a game of it despite the ECB enforced conditions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankie For This Useful Post:
bazzap (03-23-2024), ferocious (03-24-2024)