Old 10-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Jake

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Default Resizing

A year or so ago I bought a Panasonic TZ7, a smashing little camera capable of doing far more things than I wanted, but with 12 x magnification and intelligent auto focus it was possible for even me to take some good pics.

I'm not quite sure what has happened but now all the pics I take seem massive when it comes to sending them by mails, 2400 kb in size.

The man in the camera shop reduced the pixel size from something like 10 million to 2 million but it makes no difference.

Have I fucked up something on the camera or can I just not find how to resize them on my pc ? I never used to have to resize them so I'm guessing that I've mucked up the settings on the camera somehow. Off to Pattaya in 5 weeks time and really want to have it sorted before then. Any help/advice gratefully received

Jake
Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Jake,

I use a program called Picasa. It is a free download from Google. It is a one-stop-shop. It will catalogue all your pics on your computer, it can post process your pics if you want (a simple mini-Photoshop) and you can resize your pics for the internet or email.

Very simple to use. Download & install. It will find and display all your pics usually catalogued by date. Click on the folder and pic that you want to resize. Click on the File marker top left of page, go down to Export Picture To Folder and click on it. That will open a window up asking you to where you want the new downsized file to go, what size you want and what quality you want. The size and quality will determine the size of your file. A 800x533 size pic is about a 50k file. A 1200x869 size pic is about 120K.

You can downsize many pics at once if you want. When you click on a pic it appears in a box at the bottom left of the screen. Click on the green "Hold" button and it will stay there. When you do the resize thing, it will do it to all the pics that you have in the box.

There are plenty of other programmes that will resize for you, some probably simpler but Picasa is a great all rounder that does many things and the price is right

Here is a pic of Miss G in its original state just downsized for posting on the board

A bit of cropping, fill light, Auto tuning and a touch of sharpening makes a lot of difference. Takes less than a minute to do a pic to your taste.

You can have a LOT of fun with Picasa

Hope this helps you matey

Jake (10-03-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
Jake

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Thanks very much. That should help a lot. Now if I could only borrow your model.......
Old 10-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
KeeNeow

Advanced Member

Shouts:

I think the babysitter is available for hire if you can afford her.

PS I use Irfanview does everything that picasa does without taking over your computer.
Jake (10-04-2011)