Old 10-12-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
Fork Handles

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Default One Ballesteros

There'll never be another like Seve....

Ballesteros diagnosed with brain tumour
AAP - October 13, 2008, 6:23 am

Spanish golf legend Seve Ballesteros, a five-times major winner, has been diagnosed with a brain tumour after undergoing tests at a Madrid hospital.

"I inform you that after an exhaustive check that was realised at Hospital La Paz, a brain tumour has been detected," the 51-year-old said in a statement issued by the hospital.

"During my career I was one of the best at getting around obstacles on golf courses. Now I want to be the best at confronting the most difficult match of my life with all my strength."

Ballesteros said he will undergo a biopsy on Tuesday and then doctors will decide on a course of treatment.

He collapsed unconscious on Monday and was taken to the hospital where he remained in intensive care while doctors conducted tests.

Hospital officials released a statement on Friday confirming the Spaniard had suffered "a partial epileptic fit" but said he had left intensive care and was in "a stable condition".

Ballesteros won the British Open in 1979, 1984 and 1988 and became the first European to win the Augusta Masters in 1980, a title he repeated in 1983.

He was an influential figure in the Ryder Cup, winning 20 points from 37 matches and captaining Europe to victory at Valderrama in 1997.

He collected 87 titles before knee and back problems forced him to retire last year.

Known for his flamboyant and imaginative style of play, he won one of his three British Open titles by playing a shot from a temporary parking lot.