Pattaya-Revealed.com : Members Forum : Off-topic : England v. Australia 1st Ashes Test

Old 07-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
penetrator

Advanced Member

Shouts:

And there was me thinking it'd be the 3rd test before the Aussies started getting their knickers in a twist.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
Frankie

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Well at the end of the 4th days play England need 4 wickets to win and the Aussies require 137 runs for victory. England ahead by a nose but maybe Haddin and Agar can pull something out of the bag? Not impossible.

Another rivetting day, or part days play, ahead tommorrow.
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankie For This Useful Post:
Fork Handles (07-13-2013), kuranda_bagman (07-14-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
old crust

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Top interview with Pup after the day's play today. I think England are in the pound seats at the moment, but anything can still happen.

Even if the Australians win tomorrow, it will not hide a few things they need to address quickly. On the evidence so far, Cowan is the worse first wicket down Aussie I have seen. Agar is miles away from being good enough as a test bowler (his 98 is of no consequence to his place in the team as a bowler), Haddin, who has been a good 'keeper in his day is showing the signs of age, he is not staying low enough for me. Smith is a 7 or 8 no way a 5. One plus is the pace bowlers are starting to learn the art of reverse swing.

England are far from the finished article too, I'm not convinced with Bairstows technique and I would like to see Onions given a run in the team asap.
ferocious (07-13-2013), Frankie (07-14-2013), kuranda_bagman (07-14-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
ferocious

Northern monkey

Shouts:

Been a good test whoever wins
Old 07-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #15
Frankie

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old crust View Post
Top interview with Pup after the day's play today. I think England are in the pound seats at the moment, but anything can still happen.

Even if the Australians win tomorrow, it will not hide a few things they need to address quickly. On the evidence so far, Cowan is the worse first wicket down Aussie I have seen. Agar is miles away from being good enough as a test bowler (his 98 is of no consequence to his place in the team as a bowler), Haddin, who has been a good 'keeper in his day is showing the signs of age, he is not staying low enough for me. Smith is a 7 or 8 no way a 5. One plus is the pace bowlers are starting to learn the art of reverse swing.

England are far from the finished article too, I'm not convinced with Bairstows technique and I would like to see Onions given a run in the team asap.
Loads of good points there OC.

IMO Agar looks a better batsmen than bowler. But that means very little as you cant be a No. 8 batsmen that bowls a bit.

I never thought that Haddin would even be on this tour. Good consistent keeper in his day and handy with the bat but his best days have gone now. IMO Wade should be the No 1 stumper with a younger keeper (no idea who) being included on the tour. Its time for the Aussies to move on.

Smith. I thought he was a leg spinner that batted a bit? Maybe I am wrong there but he is not a genuine middle order batsmen.

On to England. For me Bairstow had to score a ton in this Test. He didnt so should be dropped. Think he has potential but needs to consistently score some big runs at County level first. He seems to have been selected for England without putting in any really hard graft for Yorkshire. Replacement, easy choice James Taylor.

I rate Onions and think on this wicket would have been a handful as he bowls wicket to wicket and the batsmen normally have to play at every single ball. Very difficult when the bowl is moving as it has throughout this Test. Stats prove that Finn takes more wickets but Onions applies far more pressure.

Anyway its been a great opening Test and we will see what tommorow brings.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie For This Useful Post:
kuranda_bagman (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #16
Dunghie

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Well given the way that Australia was written off by all and had a shocking build-up to the series, I'm thrilled that we have even extended it to Day 5, let alone have a chance to win.

Confidence is a huge factor is sport and England are not looking as invincible as many thought.

That said, by former lofty Aussie standards, neither do we!
Dunghie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dunghie For This Useful Post:
kuranda_bagman (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #17
old crust

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunghie View Post
Well given the way that Australia was written off by all and had a shocking build-up to the series, I'm thrilled that we have even extended it to Day 5, let alone have a chance to win.

Confidence is a huge factor is sport and England are not looking as invincible as many thought.

That said, by former lofty Aussie standards, neither do we!
I think they were more written off in Australia than they were in England. The changing of the coach was a master stroke. Boof has massive respect in the cricket world, especially in England. When he retired from the game, he came incredibly close to becoming England's coach. And, England are far from being invincible, if Australia act quickly, and for instance get one or both of the Hussey brothers out of retirement, and the Pakistani slow bowler in, it could still be close come the end of August.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #18
old crust

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
On to England. For me Bairstow had to score a ton in this Test. He didnt so should be dropped. Think he has potential but needs to consistently score some big runs at County level first. He seems to have been selected for England without putting in any really hard graft for Yorkshire. Replacement, easy choice James Taylor.
I've known James since his youth days at Leicester, smashing lad. As part of his England development he was told to leave Leicester and that his place in the England test team would be at the expense of either Trott or Bell (3 or 5). I appreciate the organisation and planning behind the England set up, but have always thought telling him that was over precise. For me putting him in at six would be fine for starters.
ferocious (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
Frankie

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old crust View Post
I've known James since his youth days at Leicester, smashing lad. As part of his England development he was told to leave Leicester and that his place in the England test team would be at the expense of either Trott or Bell (3 or 5). I appreciate the organisation and planning behind the England set up, but have always thought telling him that was over precise. For me putting him in at six would be fine for starters.
Thats a rather foolish thing to tell anybody. JT has moved to Notts and now seems to be on the outside of the England set up, he must be seething. Cant see Trott or Bell being dropped in the near future. Bairstow is not making big scores and should serve more time in the County Championship.

JT is a class batsman and should be included in the current team. IMO JT and Root are the future.

Back to more pressing matters. Its gone lunch and its either 1 wicket or 20 runs to decide the First Test.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
ferocious

Northern monkey

Shouts:

That was out IMO as well as the 3rd umpires opinion , shit way for it to end
kuranda_bagman (07-15-2013)