View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
gonzo

Libertine

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeNeow View Post
The conversion is 8 bits equals a byte so have to divide the bps rate by 8 to get Bps or 8000 to get kBps.
In my condo i have the 6mbps ADSL internet from TOT which costs 738 baht per month.
The last download test on thaivisa.com gave me 5576kbps(697kBps) download from their Bangkok server and 330 kbps(41.3kB/sec)
If you connect to a server in the USA or UK you will get a slower speed maybe about 50% or less.
Mostly I download movies from pirate bay and will get about 450kBps maximum but probably average about 200kBps so can download a 500 MB movie in about 40 mins.
Thailand technically has 3.5G which offer wireless speeds of up to 500kBps( 3G is only 200kBps) but will depend upon if you are in the right location and will probably be 2G speeds most of the time which is only half as fast so you will be getting 100kB/sec.
So until the 3.5G service is universal I would recommend getting a landline ADSL service. Only disadvantage is that I think you have to have a one contract to get it.
It was only when looking at your figures that I realised mine were way out as I give the figure for kilobits instead of megabits.

There may be 8 bits in a byte but there are 1024 bits in a kilobit and 1,048,576 bits in a megabit. Data transfer speeds are universally measured in bits not bytes......at least for the moment, when we have the technology available commercially to transfer terabits/s then they'll probably move to using bytes (current record is something like 100 terabits per second but only by using 370 seperate lasers).

3G or 3.5G speeds vary wildly depending on which protocol is in use and even then which version of which protocol (e.g. HSDPA which is one of the more common '3.5G' protocols can offer speeds varying from 1.8 up to 14.0 megabits/second with a number of set rates in between). Basically there is no set transfer rate for 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 or 4G as so many different factors can affect the speed.