Thread: Cricket Rambles
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #422
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
Just as well England bat all the way down to No 10, otherwise they would have been thrashed by the Windies rather than losing by a mere 381 runs.

Frankie, last Thurs night (Thai Time) I was watching the pre-lunch session from Barbados. It was day two of the game. England had not long started their innings and were doing OK.

On the Sky Sports coverage, they showed a graphic on the current English batting line-up. It looked quite impressive. The top ten all had decent first-class averages and all had scored first class tons.

Just after that, in what seemed against the run of play, Jennings was caught in the gully. England went to lunch at 30odd for 1. I decided to go to bed thinking that they would score 600+ over the next two days, bowl the WI out cheaply in their 2nd dig and win the Test by an innings. As we know, that didn't quite happen.

What an amazing Test. 18 wickets on day two, zero the next and 10 on the fourth day. Even though England was bowled out very cheaply (they tend to do that a few times in the Caribbean), I thought they were still in it at the end of day two as their bowlers fought back well. The great WI partnership on day three drove those thoughts away.

We all know England is better than that as their recent Test match performances show. However, a bad day with the bat followed by a bad day with the ball can stop even the best teams