View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
mack

Foot soldier- Woosie Army

Shouts:

Bilbo, I hadn't heard anything about Duran fighting again... he's 57 now so...?? Probably one of those false rumors, like jonny heading back to soon.

June 30, 2003 (Source: Sports Illustrated, 'The Vault')
Short And Sweet
You don't need to be Yao Ming to make your mark in the sports world. We caught up with six former athletes who, though small in stature, measured up in the eyes of history.
by Melissa Segura

AARON PRYOR , 5'6"
Boxer

At 47 Aaron (the Hawk) Pryor was ready for the ring. "Hawk Time! Hawk Time," the crowd chanted. "It was just like going to a championship fight," says the former WBA junior welterweight titlist, "and I was only getting married." On June 5 Pryor wed Frankie Wagner at the boxing hall of fame in Canastota, N.Y.

The cheers were long in coming. The man who had defended his belt eight times from 1980 to '83 battled crack addiction in the late '80s. His $3 million in earnings evaporated, and he wound up on the street and, eventually, in jail. "Then I got saved," says Pryor . He was lying on the floor of a Cincinnati crack den , ulcers bleeding, when someone called 911. After Pryor left the hospital, he went straight to the New Friendship Church. He's now a Baptist deacon.

Pryor also helps guide young fighters, including sons Aaron Jr. and Stephan. Occasionally he sees his virtual image get KO'd on his PlayStation. "They needed a machine to knock me out," he says. Or maybe just a woman. "The Hawk," he admits, "has finally been tamed."

(Update from Wikipedia): Pryor lives in his hometown of Cincinnati with his wife, Frankie Pryor, and their four children – Aaron, Jr., Antwan, Stephan, and Elizabeth. Pryor is an ordained deacon at New Friendship Baptist Church and travels the world making personal appearances and spreading his anti-drug message. In the 1990s, Pryor opened a gym in his hometown where he helps children learn boxing and stay off the streets. He remains active in the sport of boxing training both professional and Golden Gloves amateur boxers. The Pryor boxing legacy continues today with Aaron, Jr. and Stephan following in their dad’s footsteps.

Last edited by mack : 07-17-2008 at 01:38 AM.
mack is offline   Reply With Quote