View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
woodman2

Advanced Member

Shouts:

The Majestic Suites in Bangkok is a great choice. I am there myself for a few nights in a couple of weeks. Its all pretty compact inside the rooms. Sort of cruise liner style, but it has everything you will need. The staff are great.

For its location it is quiet considering the rooms in the front overlook Sukhumvit Road and the higher floors in the back look into nana Plaza. The lower floors in the back overlook a cement wall.

The only gripe with the place is its a bit of a pig to get to if you are in a taxi from the airport. The taxis cant stop outside to drop off and pick up. Use the gas station 50 yards up across soi Nana.

At peak times you can be sat in traffic an hour trying to get down soi 3 and across the intersection with Sukhumvit. Being new you will not realise how close you are and that it would be quicker to get out and walk.

I now use the airport rail link to Phaya Thai station (the end of the line for all 3 types of airport train, so you cant go wrong) where it connects to the BTS skytrain line. 5 stops on the skytrain takes you Nana station. It takes less than an hour from terminal to hotel and cost under 100 Baht.

It can be a bit of a push and shove at peak times because the train passes through Siam which is the major station where the 2 BTS lines connect. If there are no seats from Phaya Thai I try to get wedged in a corner with my case between my knees. By Nana the crowds have normally thinned out.

When you get to Nana skytrain station use Exit 2 and at the bottom of the stairs (sorry no escalator that side) walk straight on. The Majestic Suites is about half a mile up on the left. If you get to a Police box blocking your way you have gone too far. Only about 20 yards too far.

Enjoy.
bazzap (05-31-2013)