Thread: Cricket Rambles
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #280
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

There was a bit of a debate in the Cherry bar about a week ago (the night England wrapped up the First Test against Sri Lanka) with some knowledgeable English gents who knew a bit more than me about English & Test cricket.

I posed a few questions to seek their views.

1. Could England go to #1 in the ICC Test rankings if they won all the upcoming Tests against Sri Lanka and Pakistan (6 Tests in total)?

2. Could Cook go to past Tendulker's Test run total as he is only 31 and has plenty of years in him yet?

3. Could Jimmy Anderson go on to pass Glen McGrath's total of 563 Test wickets?

Nobody knew the answer to the first question and most doubted that Cook and Anderson could do it.

So I had a look at all the upcoming international fixture list released by the ICC which goes up to the end of Feb 2017 and found it interesting.

When the international games conclude for England on September 8th 2016, that's it for them. No more games in any format.

India play 3 ODI's and 3 T20 games in Zimbabwe in June 2016 and that's it for them as well. I found that one really strange as we all know the popularity of the game there.

Australia on the other hand play 6 ODI's in the West Indies next month, 3 Tests 5 ODI's and 2 T20 games in Sri Lanka in July/August, a ODI game against Ireland in Sept, 5 ODI's in South Africa in October. Then back to Australia to start a 3 Test series versus South Africa in November, 3 ODI's against the Kiwis in December, 3 Tests, 5 ODI's against the Paki's in Dec/Jan, 3 more ODI's against the Kiwis and 2 T20's against Sri Lanka all in February.

Throw in the IPL and other T20 leagues and some blokes (like Warner) are playing all year round

Good for Aussie supporters but I can't understand the disparity in scheduling.

Not sure about Cook and Anderson now either. They have to play Tests to rack up the statistics. At least they will get a good break.

Maybe Australia will get a decent break next year to be nice and fresh for the Ashes series in Australia

ferocious (05-29-2016), kuranda_bagman (05-29-2016)