View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 03:04 AM   #46
torrenova

Babysitter

Shouts:

To comment on the original question, I knew Bangkok long before I knew Pattaya or anywhere else in Thailand actually. Or I thought I knew it, limited in exposure as I was in my air conditioned limo from (then) exotic sounding Don Muang to downtown Bangkok, only to be ensconced in some top end hotel. Sure, I knew Bangkok alright.

Over time I grew to know the seedier side and all (now) three main places of P4P. I actually liked Clinton Plaza the best, down to Thermae and the Nana disco competing with the zoo under the Ambassador for your late night / early morning baht. Heady days those before the BTS and sanitised transport around the Suk.

Everyone knows I lived in Pattaya for ages but in the latter times, I grew fonder of Bangkok with each passing year. Being under the skin of Pattaya somewhat insulates you from the trials and tribulations of daily life whereas Bangkok always had a darker side, more danger and tuk tuk racing.

I never quite fell out of love with Pattaya when I lived there but I am not sure I could have lived in Bangkok. Perhaps I've adapted as Bangkok has because I think I could live there now, though it is not Singapore.

I'm pitching up for the Morning Night birthday party circa 23/24 August and chilling out on the rail at Big Dogs takes some beating. NEP has been overtaken by Walking Street for go-go diversity but there are more bars around the sois off Sukhumvit these days and you don't need to feed the Arab down Cowboy if you don't want to.

If I didn't live in Asia I could not visit Thailand without doing Bangkok and Pattaya if I was on P4P but I'd probably hit Bangkok first, then Pattaya and then decide which to have my last nights in. On that score, I guess it is a plan many have followed for many years with varying degrees of success.

If you need to find me, you will know where to look. I will be there long after I am gone.
torrenova is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to torrenova For This Useful Post:
Frankie (08-06-2011), Jake (08-06-2011), Mirkwood (08-07-2011)