View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #15
Frankie

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old crust View Post
Top interview with Pup after the day's play today. I think England are in the pound seats at the moment, but anything can still happen.

Even if the Australians win tomorrow, it will not hide a few things they need to address quickly. On the evidence so far, Cowan is the worse first wicket down Aussie I have seen. Agar is miles away from being good enough as a test bowler (his 98 is of no consequence to his place in the team as a bowler), Haddin, who has been a good 'keeper in his day is showing the signs of age, he is not staying low enough for me. Smith is a 7 or 8 no way a 5. One plus is the pace bowlers are starting to learn the art of reverse swing.

England are far from the finished article too, I'm not convinced with Bairstows technique and I would like to see Onions given a run in the team asap.
Loads of good points there OC.

IMO Agar looks a better batsmen than bowler. But that means very little as you cant be a No. 8 batsmen that bowls a bit.

I never thought that Haddin would even be on this tour. Good consistent keeper in his day and handy with the bat but his best days have gone now. IMO Wade should be the No 1 stumper with a younger keeper (no idea who) being included on the tour. Its time for the Aussies to move on.

Smith. I thought he was a leg spinner that batted a bit? Maybe I am wrong there but he is not a genuine middle order batsmen.

On to England. For me Bairstow had to score a ton in this Test. He didnt so should be dropped. Think he has potential but needs to consistently score some big runs at County level first. He seems to have been selected for England without putting in any really hard graft for Yorkshire. Replacement, easy choice James Taylor.

I rate Onions and think on this wicket would have been a handful as he bowls wicket to wicket and the batsmen normally have to play at every single ball. Very difficult when the bowl is moving as it has throughout this Test. Stats prove that Finn takes more wickets but Onions applies far more pressure.

Anyway its been a great opening Test and we will see what tommorow brings.
Frankie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie For This Useful Post:
kuranda_bagman (07-14-2013)