View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #145
soi 2

Advanced Member

Shouts:

On a lighter note... Dundee United fans plan to wear Craig Whyte masks in the upcoming match that Rangers fans are boycotting.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...united-1552600

RANGERS fans have accused Dundee United supporters of trying to spark trouble by wearing Craig Whyte masks during their Scottish Cup clash next month.

An Arabs fan group have created replica faces of the shamed former Ibrox owner in a bid to poke fun at the Division Three club a week on Saturday.

But John McMillan, Rangers Supporters Association general secretary, slammed the stunt as provocative and liable to lead to violence.

The Ibrox club are boycotting the fixture but around 200 Gers fans are expected to defy the ban and attend the clash.

However, McMillan insists the masks are not funny and urged the Tayside club to ensure their is no goading of any Rangers fans who travel.

He said: “I was anticipating the United supporters doing something but I didn’t think they would stoop to this.

“It’s out of order and Dundee United as a club should do all they can to prevent their fans from carrying this threat through.

“The majority of Rangers fans will not be at the game and observe the boycott but unfortunately I’m certain some of them will go to Tannadice so this is a recipe for trouble.

“It’s inflammatory to wear these masks and it’s disgraceful to even be thinking about it.

“This game is already raised tensions and I fear any move to mock our support could have serious consequences.”

United supporters club the A90 Arab Society are behind the masks. They posted on their Facebook page: “In tribute to the nemesis of the now defunct Glasgow Rangers we want 10,000 Arabs wearing a Craig Whyte mask at the Sevco Scottish Cup game.”

The post has been removed and vice-chairman of the Federation of Dundee United Supporters Clubs Scott Innes insists it’s a bit of harmless fun.

He said: “It’s just a wee bit of jovial banter that’s just done as a wee bit of a wind-up to Rangers fans. I don’t think it’s intended to cause any problems.

“They are meant to be boycotting anyway and I think the ones that are coming are just making mountains out of molehills. I don’t think there’s any ulterior motive.”

United fan Billy Hoon insisted that wearing the masks would be in the name of good humour and hit out at Rangers supporters who are refusing to attend in protest as United’s stance of refusing their club to be voted into the SPL last summer.

He said: “Rangers are being a bit naive doing this boycott.

“If they were playing Celtic there would be no problems because they would want to go to that. The masks are just a laugh. I don’t see any harm in it.”

Dundee United director Derek Robertson distanced his club with the stunt but admitted it will be discussed during a pre-match meeting with police.

He said: “This page is unconnected to the club and we therefore have no control over the content.

“It does not appear to be a serious attempt to organise such a display or to deliberately cause a safety issue.

“However, as we have already organised a meeting between supporters’ groups, our safety officers and the police to discuss all aspects of this match, I expect the matter will be raised then.”
WankingWodger (01-27-2013)