Thread: Cricket Rambles
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2023, 01:58 AM   #637
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
Quite enjoyed watching India lose at home. To say their supporters are biased is a massive understatement, good watching them having to eat shit. Thought the competition went on too long, or maybe it was just because England were shite.

Actually, all World Cups are played in a 45-day window. It is just the structure that changes. I quite like the 10-team competition as every team plays every other team at least once. The same as in 2019. Teams like the Netherlands get to play at least 9 games. The Netherlands played 3 games in 2007 (16 teams) and 6 games in 2011 (14 teams)

The next WC is increased to 14 teams probably to accommodate Zimbabwe & Namibia as alongside South Africa, they are the home teams. So probably 2 groups of 7 teams. The top 2 teams in each group go through to the semi-finals. There are no quarterfinals according to Stephan Shemilt in his article on the BBC website on the 20th of November.

Quote:

At least the 50-over World Cup will revert to 14 teams in 2027, even if the lesson on the absence of jeopardy has not been learned. There will be two group stages and an increase in the number of matches from 48 to 54, but still only three knockout matches, from the last four onwards. My kingdom for some quarter-finals.

More games for TV networks to show.

I guess some people just can't get enough.

Personally, I don't watch much live cricket these days especially Australia when Smith & Warner are playing. If I want, I have "catch-up" with my IPTV provider. The Sky Sports UK version works quite well here

ferocious (11-27-2023), Frankie (12-01-2023)