Thread: Cricket Rambles
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #467
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post

Baz note your comments on Roy, Morgan Archer etc. Who knows one day England may even catch Australia up and field a team where no Indigenius players whatsoever are involved.

Very few overseas-born players represent Australia at Test level. Currently, in the practice match in Southhampton, only two of the 24 players were born overseas. Marnus Labuschagne & Michael Neser. You can add in Usman Khawaja who is currently injured.

Now if you mean Indigenous as in Aboriginal, there has been only one Aboriginal to play Test cricket and that is Jason Gillespie. I always thought he came from a wog heritage but somewhere in his family, there is some Abo in him. Bit of a stretch but there it is

From Wikipedia

Quote:

Jason Gillespie is a descendant on his father's side of the Kamilaroi people of Indigenous Australians, and is the first acknowledged Aboriginal person to become a Test cricketer. His mother has Greek heritage

I always thought Dean Jones had some Aboriginal blood in him but I guess I am wrong.

On a different note, the first cricket team from Australia (then the colonies) was an All Aboriginal team who toured England in 1868 but they were not classed as an official representative team.

The First Australian Tour of England: 1868

Frankie (07-26-2019), kuranda_bagman (07-28-2019)