View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 04:45 AM   #6
Mirkwood

Macks 5k club

Shouts:

I've only been on a Thai train the once.

Never again. I'd rather hammer nails in my feet.

Pikey Tony and my good self got stuck in Surin. No buses for days and we'd had enough. We went to the train station on the off chance and asked about a ticket to Bangkok. The bloke behind the desk told us they only had 1st class left and showed us a photo of the carriage. While it didn't look 5* it did look decent enough.

300 baht?????????

We thought it was too good to be true.

Well it was.

When the train pulled up we got the guard to show us our carriage.
My god. When we got on it was rammed and I mean rammed with people. We were squashed in the gangway standing up with our cases between our legs. The toilet cubicle was overflowing and running down the floor and Thai's were laying in it fast asleep. There were people under all the seats as well as squashed together on top of them.

We looked at each other and knew we'd made a massive mistake. 10 hours to Bangkok as well and it was a night train so you couldn't even look out the window.
After about an hour the guard pushed his way through checking tickets. When he saw we were '1st class' he shoved 3 Thai's off one of the seats and sat us down. It was only slightly better. I wish I had some pictures now but at the time I was in shock. It was roasting on there as well.

We agreed as soon as we got to a station we'd heard of we were bailing out and paying a private taxi to drive us to Pattaya even if it cost 10,000 baht.

The train just went on and on.
We were busted to the max. Some bloke came round selling bottles of Mekon and we decided to down one each and hope we woke up in Bangkok. The bastard selling them tried to kick us up the nuts for 300 a small bottle so we blanked him.

We'd left Surin at around 10pm and it was something like 4pm before we got to Korat. By then we had tombstones in our eyes and decided to sit it out to Bangkok.

The final kick in the teeth was being turfed out at Bangkok only to find it wasn't in Central. It looked like somewhere on the road to Pattaya from old airport.

We just hailed a meter and paid whatever. 2000 I think.

Apart from that it was great.
Mirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirkwood For This Useful Post:
Dunghie (09-12-2008)