View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
butterflyblonde

Mentally Disturbed

Shouts:

butterflyblonde is on a distinguished road

Some points I'd like to make is that while I wish any club every success, especially considering it's usually 1 of 3 teams that win the premiership which gets boring for everyone, there are right and wrong ways to go about it in my view.

Very important to keep your youth squad of local talent involved in the side, there's nothing wrong with adding a few quality foreigners into the mix, it makes the football exciting for starters as they often possess skills the majority of home grown talent simply don't have but the traditions of bringing through home pickings can easily be lost, the bigger a team becomes.

Baggins, our resident City supporter has already voiced this opinion and pointed out that Man Utd haven't introduced much home talent in recent times, the main problem is that when you become one of the teams that challenges for top honours on a yearly basis, the pressure and expectations builds so much that it reaches the point where managers of these top rates clubs hardly dare take the risk of not playing the Drogba's, Ronaldo's and so on. Leaving those brought through the youth system out in the cold in favour for foreigners.

Considering this arab owner is now talking about making City the biggest club in the world, I can only see that club going the same way over the next few years.
Of course the fans want long awaited success and I'm sure that will come fairly soon but making City into a 'super club' will inevitably attract more foreign players, plastic fair weather fans and a large dollop of unwanted attention, look at how Man Utd have gone from being a working class supported club like most others into one of the most hated clubs of all time for various reasons, Chelsea as another example were applauded when they won the title 1st time round, but look how they are now talked about with a similar type of hate like Man Utd, by fans up and down the country.

I can see this arab guy taking City into a similar situation, Man City could actually become the very thing the fans hate about Man Utd.

It would be nice to see them keep to their proud working class roots thats earns the respect of other fans, but I fear that will be lost forever as the inevitable 'team to hate' is created.
butterflyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterflyblonde For This Useful Post:
Bilbobaggins (09-02-2008)