View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 07:44 PM   #25
mack

Foot soldier- Woosie Army

Shouts:

From the Bangkok Post of May 14th:

Thaksin poised to buy Man City

By BangkokPost.com from reports

The People newspaper reports that ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinwatra is "on the verge" of taking over Manchester City Football club for 100 million pounds - 6.8 billion baht.

The People reports that City officials are expecting a positive response from Mr Thaksin this week when his accounts end their due diligence examination of the team's books.

That could lead to a summer takeover by Mr Thaksin. The People said he is "desperate to become a Premiership club owner after failing with a bid to buy Liverpool two years ago."

The Sunday Mirror said that Mr Thaksin was expected to pay 130 million pounds for the club "inside the next 10 days."

If he does take over Man City, the ex-premier coiuld be targetting manager Gerard Houllier.

The Sunday Mirror said Mr Thaksin's plans include an approach to Lyon coach Houllier to replace Stuart Pearce.

"Whether I'm going to be here next season or not is out of my hands. I hope it's me but if it isn't me I'll move on and manage elsewhere," Pearce told reporters last week.

But Pearce looks certain to be sacked following a poor season - and chairman John Wardle may take the decision as early as this week.

That would open the door for Houllier, who is keen on a return to the Premiership after guiding Lyon to two titles in two years.

Houllier has a clause in his deal with the French club allowing him to move back to England.

Many fans hoped Sam Allardyce would be the man Wardle turned to, but he looks destined for Newcastle.

And while he has strong support inside the current City regime, Shinawatra is looking for a big continental name to lead his efforts to revive the fortunes of a club who have now gone 31 years without winning a top trophy, the Sunday Mirror report said.
mack is offline   Reply With Quote