View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
soi 2

Advanced Member

Shouts:

I remember the Benn - McClellan fight as well. If McClellan hadn't been so badly injured it would be talked about as one of the great fights. Benn was always an exciting fighter to watch but that was his greatest comeback.

Sadly another boxing tragedy also in the middleweight divison around that time was Michael Watson in the Chris Eubank fight. If you remember Watson versus Jamaican Mike McCallum I can't help thinking some bad damage was done in that fight. Watson was a nice guy and sad to see him end up like that.

Before my time but the anniversary of the Ibrox Disaster is nearly here. 2nd January 1971 when 66 people died.

In 2011, the 40th anniversary of the disaster will be commemorated before the Old Firm game on the 2nd of January 2011 where there will be a one minute silence before the game. Both teams will wear black armbands as a sign of respect and will also be led out by John Greig and Billy McNeill - the respective club captains at the time of the disaster, albeit that the latter was out injured at the time and did not actually play in the January 2nd game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibrox_disaster
BigBadSi (12-31-2010), Mirkwood (01-03-2011), old crust (12-31-2010)