Pattaya-Revealed.com

Pattaya-Revealed.com (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/index.php)
-   Pattaya Newbies Section (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bangkok to Pattaya (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/showthread.php?t=15988)

smitty1404 06-01-2013 06:47 PM

Bangkok to Pattaya

Most of the posts on here seem a bit dated, so I am fishing for some updated information. I plan to use the trains for my travel to Chiang Mai and Ubon Ratchathani, but there are no trains that go direct to Pattaya. After a few days in Bangkok I need to get to Pattaya and then return to Bangkok to catch the train north. This seems more like an adventure quest than a mongering tour I know. To get to the point, I am looking for info on the best way, other than air to get to and from Pattaya. I have heard about the Blue Bus from Bell travel service. Is that the best way or is there better options?

Frankie 06-01-2013 07:34 PM

You can travel from Bangkok to Pattaya by train, bus or taxi. Just depends on how much your willing to pay. I have only travelled to and from Pattaya from Bangkok International Airport and always use a taxi.

From Pattaya to the airport its around 1,000 baht. Obviously more to go into Bangkok itself. It all depends on where you will be located in Bangkok and what your willing to put up with dragging baggage to Bus Stations or going door to door in a taxi.

smitty1404 06-01-2013 08:45 PM

I wasn't aware that the train ran to Pattaya. I would be interested in hearing more on that. Also I've never been keen on taxi's. I consider them to pretty much be vampires on wheels trying to suck the life blood from your wallet. If it's not an actual taxi but more of a courier service, that's different, in a miniscule sense. I know it's faster than the train or bus but like you said, how much are you willing to pay.

Bilbobaggins 06-01-2013 11:09 PM

Trains in Thailand are painfully slow.

If you are going from the airport I'd get the Bell Travel Service Bus, from the lower level, on the left side as you come out of arrivals.

If you are going from the city, I'd just jump in a taxi, let's face it, you have travelled 8,000 miles or more to go on holiday, no point slumming it trying to save a few dollars and having to carry all your luggage around in that heat.

I'm sure a few here will have a reliable taxi service number for you.

smitty1404 06-01-2013 11:43 PM

Most of the info on taxi's I have seen is pretty out-dated for how frequently things turn-over there. I may see what the hotel has for recommendations.

gonzo 06-02-2013 12:52 AM

A hotel will add their own cut and consequently overcharge. Most meter taxis have prices displayed in the back giving standard costs to main tourist destinations but you can negotiate similar deals in better comfort.

For the last few years I've used The Limo Pattaya (http://www.thelimopattaya.com/) for most taxi journeys to/from Pattaya following a great recommendation from OC on here some time back. Decent cars, good service and friendly drivers. Can't fault them.

As for the longer journeys (CM etc) just fly, flights are cheap in LOS, check out airasia.com, unless you've got a thing for trains an hours travel beats the hell out of 12.

smitty1404 06-02-2013 01:26 AM

You have a point there. I haven't been on a train since I was a kid and heard it was a good trip with some beautiful scenery. It also saves the hassle of the airport which reportedly can be a pain at times. I figured I would sleep on the train overnight, save the cost of a hotel and be fresh and ready for the next day doing the train.
The limo service is pretty good, a lot better priced than I thought it would be. I'll look at the price of tickets and see what comes of it.

smitty1404 06-02-2013 02:50 AM

Okay so I have it figured out I think. I'm going to go ahead and take the train TO Chiang Mai for the adventure. However, going to fly back to BKK and then fly to UR and back. It will give me a night between CM and UR to mess around in BKK and a maybe a ST and again when I return from UR for the same. So that doesn't doesn't change any reservation either and my days from 14 to 20 Aug in Pattaya are still golden. You're right gonzo, air asia was the way to go. Thanks.

Fork Handles 06-02-2013 05:41 AM

smitty, if you're staying at Majestic, then going to pattaya, just find where the taxis are hanging around down the side sois. Max you should pay is 1400 including tolls. You could haggle for less, but don't stress the small stuff.
The driver may not know his way around. Tell him to go down Pattaya Klang all the way to Beach Rd, turn left and left again into soi 8. Sunshine is half way up on the right. Don't confuse it with Sunview across the street.
http://www.sawadee.com/map/pattaya.htm

If you want to save money on return, you can catch the RungRuen bus from the terminal in Pattaya North Rd, or the corner of Threppasit and Thrappaya Rds in Jomtien; they run every two hours direct to Swampy.....then trains to Hualumphong Station.

Not sure what order you're doing things in, but double check which airport your domestic flights use.

smitty1404 06-02-2013 06:00 AM

Here's my plans, as hectic as it might seem. I'll land in BKK and stay at Majestic for a few days. I looked into the limo place gonzo mentioned above and they will do a trip to and from Pattaya for 2400 so I was planning to use them. I'll be in Pattaya from the 14-20 Aug and head back to Bangkok where I'll catch the overnight train to Chiang Mai. This is simply for the experience of doing it. I'll be there for a few days and fly back in the evening to Bangkok and have some fun that night. The next morning I'll fly to Ubon Ratchathani for about 5 days and fly back to Bangkok. Spend the night with a little more fun and fly home the next morning. All in all 22 days. Will be busy, but I will get to go everywhere I want and see a little bit. Then be able to decide where I want to spend longer next time.