Pattaya-Revealed.com

Pattaya-Revealed.com (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   England v. Australia 1st Ashes Test (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/showthread.php?t=16027)

Frankie 07-12-2013 06:38 PM

England v. Australia 1st Ashes Test

This has turned out to be a cliffhanger.

Looked like England hadn’t scored enough in the first innings. Then had the Aussies on the rack until Ashton Agar and Phil Hughes put on 163 runs for the last wicket. With the rest of the Aussie side only being able to put together 117 runs between them. Agar could have been out stumped early on but wasn’t and England seemed to relax with the last pair at the wicket. For some reason Finn seemed intent on bowling short and paid the price. This last wicket stand put the Aussies back in the game.

The wicket seems tricky to bat on and England in their second innings have meandered along, although now have a decent lead of 261 runs with Bell and Broad still at the crease. It remains to be seen how many runs England can accumulate, but I think it will be difficult starting batting again afresh tomorrow morning.

If England can get to around 300 runs ahead that might be enough on a wicket that should offer plenty for Swann. But I wouldn’t put anything past Pup Clarke and it will only take a few of the other 10 to stay with him for long enough to accumulate the runs.

All in all it’s been a fascinating Test so far full of twists and turns and controversial incidents.

I just watched the latest one involving Stuart Broad being given not out after edging the ball to Clarke at first slip via Haddin’s gloves. Broad had some neck standing there waiting be given out and I couldn’t understand why Aleem Dar didn’t raise the finger. Obviously Broad must have taken lessons in sportsmanship from some Aussies in the past. It’s been claimed that Broad should have walked, well he did up the wicket to have a chat with Bell.

Let’s see what tomorrow brings as who knows what’s going to happen.

P.S. Forgot. What about the ball from Anderson that cleaned Clarke out? Another one might be needed second time round.

foz 07-12-2013 10:39 PM

The umpires all off them should all lose there places. Some shocking decisions for both teams.
Broad not walking for starters
Agars stumping (and they had tecnolloge to help them with that one)
And plenty more.
Was funny on the radio,boycott was pissing hisself with lagthter because the abbos had used up all there reviews.

Frankie 07-12-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foz (Post 223301)
Was funny on the radio,boycott was pissing hisself with lagthter because the abbos had used up all there reviews.

Good point Foz. Aussies squandered a review on an inswinging ball from Pattinson to Bairstow. It swung that far from off to leg that it almost pitched outside leg stump. Missing leg stump by a mile and a bit.

Piss poor decision to review that and has cost them Broads wicket.

penetrator 07-13-2013 05:12 AM

As Sir Geoff pointed out, the Aussies dont walk so why should our boys.

Fork Handles 07-13-2013 05:33 AM

Because its what Baden Powell, Nelson or Kipling would have done.

No class.

gonzo 07-13-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fork Handles (Post 223307)
Because its what Baden Powell, Nelson or Kipling would have done.

No class.

To be fair, only having the one arm and being blind in one eye, Nelson would have been a bit shit at cricket anyway.

Fork Handles 07-13-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzo (Post 223308)
To be fair, only having the one arm and being blind in one eye, Nelson would have been a bit shit at cricket anyway.

He could have umpired......:angel:

penetrator 07-13-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzo (Post 223308)

Doubt he was much of a batsman but he probably bowled a tighter line than Mitchel Johnson.

Fork Handles 07-13-2013 09:41 AM

Somebody please wake me up when Pen says something relevant.:loser:

ferocious 07-13-2013 12:24 PM

With the referral system and the technology in the game now I wouldn't be walking either (ask joe root) unless my wickets got rearranged :sadwalk:

penetrator 07-13-2013 12:25 PM

And there was me thinking it'd be the 3rd test before the Aussies started getting their knickers in a twist.

Frankie 07-13-2013 07:03 PM

Well at the end of the 4th days play England need 4 wickets to win and the Aussies require 137 runs for victory. England ahead by a nose but maybe Haddin and Agar can pull something out of the bag? Not impossible.

Another rivetting day, or part days play, ahead tommorrow.

old crust 07-13-2013 09:00 PM

Top interview with Pup after the day's play today. I think England are in the pound seats at the moment, but anything can still happen.

Even if the Australians win tomorrow, it will not hide a few things they need to address quickly. On the evidence so far, Cowan is the worse first wicket down Aussie I have seen. Agar is miles away from being good enough as a test bowler (his 98 is of no consequence to his place in the team as a bowler), Haddin, who has been a good 'keeper in his day is showing the signs of age, he is not staying low enough for me. Smith is a 7 or 8 no way a 5. One plus is the pace bowlers are starting to learn the art of reverse swing.

England are far from the finished article too, I'm not convinced with Bairstows technique and I would like to see Onions given a run in the team asap.

ferocious 07-13-2013 09:02 PM

Been a good test whoever wins

Frankie 07-14-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old crust (Post 223330)
Top interview with Pup after the day's play today. I think England are in the pound seats at the moment, but anything can still happen.

Even if the Australians win tomorrow, it will not hide a few things they need to address quickly. On the evidence so far, Cowan is the worse first wicket down Aussie I have seen. Agar is miles away from being good enough as a test bowler (his 98 is of no consequence to his place in the team as a bowler), Haddin, who has been a good 'keeper in his day is showing the signs of age, he is not staying low enough for me. Smith is a 7 or 8 no way a 5. One plus is the pace bowlers are starting to learn the art of reverse swing.

England are far from the finished article too, I'm not convinced with Bairstows technique and I would like to see Onions given a run in the team asap.

Loads of good points there OC.

IMO Agar looks a better batsmen than bowler. But that means very little as you cant be a No. 8 batsmen that bowls a bit.

I never thought that Haddin would even be on this tour. Good consistent keeper in his day and handy with the bat but his best days have gone now. IMO Wade should be the No 1 stumper with a younger keeper (no idea who) being included on the tour. Its time for the Aussies to move on.

Smith. I thought he was a leg spinner that batted a bit? Maybe I am wrong there but he is not a genuine middle order batsmen.

On to England. For me Bairstow had to score a ton in this Test. He didnt so should be dropped. Think he has potential but needs to consistently score some big runs at County level first. He seems to have been selected for England without putting in any really hard graft for Yorkshire. Replacement, easy choice James Taylor.

I rate Onions and think on this wicket would have been a handful as he bowls wicket to wicket and the batsmen normally have to play at every single ball. Very difficult when the bowl is moving as it has throughout this Test. Stats prove that Finn takes more wickets but Onions applies far more pressure.

Anyway its been a great opening Test and we will see what tommorow brings.

Dunghie 07-14-2013 02:47 AM

Well given the way that Australia was written off by all and had a shocking build-up to the series, I'm thrilled that we have even extended it to Day 5, let alone have a chance to win.

Confidence is a huge factor is sport and England are not looking as invincible as many thought.

That said, by former lofty Aussie standards, neither do we!

old crust 07-14-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunghie (Post 223336)
Well given the way that Australia was written off by all and had a shocking build-up to the series, I'm thrilled that we have even extended it to Day 5, let alone have a chance to win.

Confidence is a huge factor is sport and England are not looking as invincible as many thought.

That said, by former lofty Aussie standards, neither do we!

I think they were more written off in Australia than they were in England. The changing of the coach was a master stroke. Boof has massive respect in the cricket world, especially in England. When he retired from the game, he came incredibly close to becoming England's coach. And, England are far from being invincible, if Australia act quickly, and for instance get one or both of the Hussey brothers out of retirement, and the Pakistani slow bowler in, it could still be close come the end of August.

old crust 07-14-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 223334)
On to England. For me Bairstow had to score a ton in this Test. He didnt so should be dropped. Think he has potential but needs to consistently score some big runs at County level first. He seems to have been selected for England without putting in any really hard graft for Yorkshire. Replacement, easy choice James Taylor.

I've known James since his youth days at Leicester, smashing lad. As part of his England development he was told to leave Leicester and that his place in the England test team would be at the expense of either Trott or Bell (3 or 5). I appreciate the organisation and planning behind the England set up, but have always thought telling him that was over precise. For me putting him in at six would be fine for starters.

Frankie 07-14-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old crust (Post 223340)
I've known James since his youth days at Leicester, smashing lad. As part of his England development he was told to leave Leicester and that his place in the England test team would be at the expense of either Trott or Bell (3 or 5). I appreciate the organisation and planning behind the England set up, but have always thought telling him that was over precise. For me putting him in at six would be fine for starters.

Thats a rather foolish thing to tell anybody. JT has moved to Notts and now seems to be on the outside of the England set up, he must be seething. Cant see Trott or Bell being dropped in the near future. Bairstow is not making big scores and should serve more time in the County Championship.

JT is a class batsman and should be included in the current team. IMO JT and Root are the future.

Back to more pressing matters. Its gone lunch and its either 1 wicket or 20 runs to decide the First Test.

ferocious 07-14-2013 01:25 PM

That was out IMO as well as the 3rd umpires opinion , shit way for it to end

gonzo 07-14-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferocious (Post 223348)
That was out IMO as well as the 3rd umpires opinion , shit way for it to end

On the plus side though I can go out and enjoy the weather now rather than being sat in glued to the telly.

old crust 07-14-2013 01:41 PM

Great game. Haddin might be showing signs of age with his keeping, but his batting today was top notch.

penetrator 07-14-2013 01:46 PM

Hats off to the Aussies for making it a contest, I might even go have a beer in The Roo Bar tomorrow.

Frankie 07-14-2013 02:12 PM

Well that was close. I think Aleem Dar has gone a bit deaf. Haddin definitely out, Hotspot from front on and audio proved that.

I knew Haddin shouldn’t have been included in the Aussie Test Squad, as he almost won the game for them today.

Next Test England should drop both Bairstow and Finn. Taylor and Onions to replace them. Won’t happen though, Finn may be left out and Bresnan brought in.

Aussies. Haddin to be deported before he does any more damage. Replacement, some Native Australian from the Northern Territories. Just tell the Abbo that methelayted spirits are available on draught in England.