Pattaya-Revealed.com

Pattaya-Revealed.com (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/index.php)
-   Pattaya Newbies Section (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Internet banking in Thailand (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/showthread.php?t=15935)

soi 2 04-08-2013 10:19 PM

Internet banking in Thailand

I've bought a notebook pc and was planning on accessing my main UK bank account when I'm on holiday. I've never done this before and just been having a think. My question is -

Should I contact my bank to let them know I'll be doing this from Thailand ? Will a Thai ISP set the alarm bells going ?

I don't want any security problems that might cause problems with me accessing my cash.

Thanks.

monkeyspanker 04-09-2013 12:26 AM

Never had as any probs from overseas as the setup is secure
I have a natwest app as well for doing a quick check and let's you pay credit cards etc

Fork Handles 04-09-2013 06:37 AM

Roamer, I tried to transfer money between accounts while I was in PI recently. The software recognised the IP and sent a security code to my mobile phone, which I didn't have with me. Best to let the bank know just to be sure.

roamer 04-09-2013 08:02 AM

Hi mate

With Halifax I`ve never had any problem, I set up my Thai Kasikorn bank account as a payee whilst still in the UK, no problems with transfers.
I did however inform them quite some time ago that I would be spending a lot of time in Thailand.

With Santander, it appears they are able to detect different ISPs, has caused occasional problem,sometimes have to go through extra security.

I`d :agree: with Fork, let them know and maybe bring your UK phone ( or SIM) with you in case they need to contact you ?

simie 04-09-2013 08:04 AM

Seems to depend on the bank from the previous responses but I've used it a number of times with 2 different accounts when in Thailand and no problem.
Simie.

soi 2 04-09-2013 08:25 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm with Nationwide, will contact them to beon the safe side.

Delaware 04-09-2013 03:10 PM

I have worked for a bank it will make a difference if they place a note on the system. If you show up on a fraud que the note can be looked at and the notice worked without the need to contact you.

On saying that I have spoken to quite a few persons that had alerted the bank but, had their cards or accounts frozen.

The real answer is yes and no, another way around this would be to download Tor to your laptop and set your IP to the UK.

soi 2 04-09-2013 03:52 PM

OK Del thanks will contact my bank.

roamer 04-09-2013 03:55 PM

"download Tor to your laptop and set your IP to the UK."

Is that a proxy server ?

Would it slow down my internet speed ? ( In Thailand, it`s slow enough as it is)

Thanks.

soi 2 04-09-2013 04:42 PM

Tor is a server that hides your location. I read about it one night. Absolutely fascinating. It's how you get to the 'deep internet' where wiki leaks was originally and can do all sorts of shady untraceable things online. If you google the Tor Project or deep internet it's interesting reading.