Pattaya-Revealed.com

Pattaya-Revealed.com (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/index.php)
-   Thailand Forum (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Newbie trip to LOS (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/showthread.php?t=15983)

smitty1404 05-30-2013 12:27 AM

Newbie trip to LOS

I am looking for some suggestions for a hotel close to the nightlife so I can stagger home with a little biddy or two and not get too much of a hassle from the tart at the counter. I'm aiming for about 30-40 US a night in BKK. I only plan on staying 3 nights before heading to Patt and then pretty much the same there. I'd like to be somewhat close to the rail also to do some sight seeing during my sober moments. So far the Bangkok Cha-Da looks decent. Any other suggestions?

:cheers:

techno kev 05-30-2013 04:31 AM

majestic suites is ok its round the corner from sukhumvit soi 4 the nana skytrain station is a couple of minutes walk away its about 1700 baht per night and no hassle bringing ladies in.

Jake 05-30-2013 06:31 AM

I like the Parkway.
http://www.parkwayinnbkk.com/

gonzo 05-30-2013 08:29 AM

The location of the Bangkok Cha-Da isn't great unless the nightlife you're looking for is nightclubs aimed at Thais. I've had some great nights on Ratchada but unless you speak a little Thai you'll be leaving the clubs on your lonesome. It's a great area for soapy massage joints but you'd be looking at $100 minimum for a 90 minute session on the premises, take-outs will cost considerably more.

Most guys aim to be at the lower end of Sukhumvit Rd, you've got Nana Plaza on Soi 4 and Soi Cowboy just off Soi 21 so anywhere between or around there will see you right plus no language skills required, just cash.

roamer 05-30-2013 01:48 PM

Hi Smitty

Bangkok I`ve no idea sorry but in Pattaya, if your first visit and only for a few days, choose a convenient location.

Anywhere between soi 1 and soi 13, running from Beach Road to 2nd Road will be OK to get about from.
soi 13 has a fair few hotels to choose from, great location.

soi bukhao also OK, can get about from there easily.

Most, 90% + hotels will have no problem with you bringing a guest back, a very few higher end ones may try to charge.

Before you book, ask on here, someone on here will likely know.

smitty1404 05-30-2013 11:48 PM

Thanks for the info. I checked both the places out in Bangkok and ended up picking the majestic suites. The location was excellent in my mind for going out at night and not far from the train for travel during the day. In Pattaya I decided on the Citin Garden Resort. It's a little ways back from Walking Street, but I think I can manage it. Now I just need to survive the fun. :baby: Reading only gets you so far. I'm also planning to see Chiang Mai and Ubon Ratchathani so there's another ordeal. If anyone has some suggestion for where to go in Bangkok or Pattaya, I'm all ears.

Delaware 05-31-2013 07:00 AM

Hi Smitty the most important piece of advice butterfly like fuck. What ever you do not get all loved up and, spend the holiday with one bird. I do have a few questions which would help us with recommendations for you.

Are you completely new to mongering or just new to Thailand?
You more interested in freelancers, Bar girls or go go's?
Do you need to take cultured photo's to hide the fact that your a sex tourist to friends and family back home?

I am not much of an expert on Bangkok nightlife been quite a few times just did Patpong and Nana. Also the last time I was in BK was 2007 so my info would be out of date. Generally just head over to Nana there is a disco in the hotel and go go's and beer bars in the complex.

I cant give you any advise on Khao San road as I have only been there once and when I was there I was totally shitfaced and nearly got into a fight with a Thai (the only time I have ever come remotely close to doing that) . Actually here is a good one do not mix it up with a local, getting in a fist fight with a Thai will end in tears.

In the daytime if you are looking to hide your mongering activities and make your trip look all cultured for outside appearances. Head over to the grand palace take lots of pictures. Also you can do the floating markets cant advise on these as I have never been.

Have a ride in a Tuk Tuk its fun but, watch these fuckers if they tell you that something is closed or monks have to pray open later enjoy cos your off to a gem shop and tailors. Always arrange the fare before hand with the tuk tuks and if using a taxi ask for the metre.

MBK if you want a shopping mall. There is also a shrine outside MBK so if you cant be bothered to go to a temple you can take photos that make it look like you have.

Pratunam market if you want the same clothes but at wholesale. Pratunam is directly below the tallest building in Thailand so you cant miss it. The weekend market is good just jump on the sky train and head to Mo Cit station. The weekend market is awesome and I would recommend that to anyone.

This is a good link for BK info http://www.bangkok.com/shopping.htm

Temples I have been to a few in Bangkok but cant really remember

Thats all the info I can give you on BK.

Fork Handles 05-31-2013 07:01 AM

Plenty of touristy stuff in Bkk. Canals, temples, palace, markets. All good.
Pattaya has some good stuff too, but its more fun to take your new cara mia:waltz:...day trip to Koh Larn, Stone Park, Sanctuary of Truth, Nong Nuch Gardens. Rumour has it there's a beach, but I've never seen it.:cheersmate:

Fork Handles 05-31-2013 07:03 AM

For a real buzz, get a motorcycle taxi down Sukhumvit.:moped::bible:

gonzo 05-31-2013 07:35 AM

I still reckon you're better off cancelling Citin Garden and getting somewhere a bit more central, especially for a first trip. There's just nothing around there at all so you're going to need a motorbike or songtaew every single time you go anywhere.

Delaware 05-31-2013 12:11 PM

Just checked it out your hotel on google maps and its pretty far out its gonna be a right pain in the ass for you. Gonzo's right cancelling would be a good idea.

woodman2 05-31-2013 03:55 PM

The Majestic Suites in Bangkok is a great choice. I am there myself for a few nights in a couple of weeks. Its all pretty compact inside the rooms. Sort of cruise liner style, but it has everything you will need. The staff are great.

For its location it is quiet considering the rooms in the front overlook Sukhumvit Road and the higher floors in the back look into nana Plaza. The lower floors in the back overlook a cement wall.

The only gripe with the place is its a bit of a pig to get to if you are in a taxi from the airport. The taxis cant stop outside to drop off and pick up. Use the gas station 50 yards up across soi Nana.

At peak times you can be sat in traffic an hour trying to get down soi 3 and across the intersection with Sukhumvit. Being new you will not realise how close you are and that it would be quicker to get out and walk.

I now use the airport rail link to Phaya Thai station (the end of the line for all 3 types of airport train, so you cant go wrong) where it connects to the BTS skytrain line. 5 stops on the skytrain takes you Nana station. It takes less than an hour from terminal to hotel and cost under 100 Baht.

It can be a bit of a push and shove at peak times because the train passes through Siam which is the major station where the 2 BTS lines connect. If there are no seats from Phaya Thai I try to get wedged in a corner with my case between my knees. By Nana the crowds have normally thinned out.

When you get to Nana skytrain station use Exit 2 and at the bottom of the stairs (sorry no escalator that side) walk straight on. The Majestic Suites is about half a mile up on the left. If you get to a Police box blocking your way you have gone too far. Only about 20 yards too far.

Enjoy.

techno kev 06-01-2013 03:12 AM

if you don't mind splashing out a bit extra i just stayed in the majestics suites sister hotel the majestic grande on sukhumvit soi 2 it's a nice hotel a couple of minutes walk off all the action on soi4 nana.

smitty1404 06-01-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delaware (Post 222673)
I do have a few questions which would help us with recommendations for you.

Are you completely new to mongering or just new to Thailand?
You more interested in freelancers, Bar girls or go go's?
Do you need to take cultured photo's to hide the fact that your a sex tourist to friends and family back home?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delaware (Post 222682)
Just checked it out your hotel on google maps and its pretty far out its gonna be a right pain in the ass for you. Gonzo's right cancelling would be a good idea.

Delaware, I'm not completely new to mongering, I have been PI a couple of times and sampled the cuisine there. I'm pretty much into whatever is 'open' for business. It really doesn't matter where I find it as long as it has a little hot slot. I figure they are all just about as hazardous, whether it be from the trying to run off with your shit while you are sleeping to passing you some infestation. As far a covering my activities, I'm not really too concerned about it. I actually have an interest in getting out and seeing some things. When I went to PI, I spent the entire time mongering on my second trip, whereas my first trip I went a few places. I enjoyed my first trip more. Or at least I have better memories.

As far as the hotel room goes, I looked into a few others and found Sunshine Hotel and Residences as well as Boboona Hotel. I still need to cancel at Citin but would appreciate any thoughts on those two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodman2 (Post 222684)

I now use the airport rail link to Phaya Thai station (the end of the line for all 3 types of airport train, so you cant go wrong) where it connects to the BTS skytrain line. 5 stops on the skytrain takes you Nana station. It takes less than an hour from terminal to hotel and cost under 100 Baht.

When you get to Nana skytrain station use Exit 2 and at the bottom of the stairs (sorry no escalator that side) walk straight on. The Majestic Suites is about half a mile up on the left. If you get to a Police box blocking your way you have gone too far. Only about 20 yards too far.

Enjoy.

Awesome directions. Does the train run all night? My flight lands late so I don't want to head to the train just to find out it is closed. If it's open, I'm always up for an adventure.

Bilbobaggins 06-01-2013 11:02 PM

if your flight lands late just get a taxi, traffic won't be so bad then (that's what I'd do)

As for Pattaya, Sunshine is a great location, soi 8 right?

That's very much central and easy access to wherever you want to go in the city. I have stayed there many times in the past, but it started to get very expensive relatively a couple of years ago, how much you paying a night there? have you tried www.agoda.com to book rooms at all?

smitty1404 06-01-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilbobaggins (Post 222711)
if your flight lands late just get a taxi, traffic won't be so bad then (that's what I'd do)

As for Pattaya, Sunshine is a great location, soi 8 right?

That's very much central and easy access to wherever you want to go in the city. I have stayed there many times in the past, but it started to get very expensive relatively a couple of years ago, how much you paying a night there? have you tried www.agoda.com to book rooms at all?

I might have to go the taxi route in Bangkok if it comes down to it. Yes I just booked my stay at Sunshine for 6 nights for a Standard Sea View for just under $300. I picked it because it literally is smack dab in the middle and just a short walk to the beach.

Bilbobaggins 06-01-2013 11:25 PM

If you are after a beach to go to, I doubt it will be the one at the bottom of soi 8.

You may need to pop over to Koh Larn out in Pattaya Bay, just means a short motosai ride to the pier at the end of Walking Street and a 20/30 baht ferry across there which takes around 40-60 mins, lovely beach there, places to get a drink and some scran.

smitty1404 06-01-2013 11:41 PM

Scran? I'm not familiar with that term. I'll definitely check out that beach though. I want to try some underwater shots with my camera.

Bilbobaggins 06-01-2013 11:54 PM

scran = food.

smitty1404 06-02-2013 12:12 AM

ahh okay, that was something I had a hard time finding in Angeles was food that I enjoyed.

gonzo 06-02-2013 01:07 AM

You should do ok in Pattaya for food, plenty of cheap decent options around for either Thai or western food. Sunshine is a great location, head towards the beach from there and you've got Sailor Bar doing good cheap western meals less than 5 mins walk from the hotel. The food in Angeles was bloody awful my only trip there (admittedly some years ago) but in Pattaya you'll find lots of decent eateries from budget to high end places.

smitty1404 06-02-2013 02:52 AM

Now I just have to avoid the upset stomach with all the abuse it's going to be put through.

Fork Handles 06-02-2013 05:25 AM

smitty, I stayed at Sunshine about 8 years ago. It was ok, and I believe has been rebuilt since, so I'd say its a good choice.

smitty1404 06-02-2013 06:04 AM

From what I gather they did a little renovating on the old wing and built a new tower wing. It looks pretty good. I'll post up my opinions of everything while I'm there. Provided the other head doesn't drain all the blood from my brain and take over. :D

woodman2 06-02-2013 08:29 AM

The airport trains run until midnight.

By the way I have just looked on the website for the train times and something aint right.

The site only shows 2 types of train. Red and Blue. There is a third Yellow. I know because I have caught it.

It also shows the Express train (red) terminating at Makkasan not Phraya Thai. That is also wrong. Again I have caught the Express train to Phraya Thai.

So, either the web site is wrong or they have significantly altered the service since I last used it at Christmas. I will check that out next week.

PS. I have used Pattaya Limo with no problem except on my last visit when they let me down. Keep the number to hand. I was on time. When I called they told me their driver was in traffic 15 minutes away. Perhaps he was. I didn't wait to find out. Lots of other options about.

roamer 06-02-2013 11:14 AM

Hi

Sunshine Hotel in an excellent location, as already mentioned.
I`ve not stayed there, the new wing looks good from the outside.

As well as the nearby Sailor bar for decent value food, you have plenty of other choices nearby.

One that is also quite good for the money is " Seaside Restaurant ", which is in a little cut through between soi 7 & soi 8, next to " Globetrotter Hotel and Restaurant "
About 2 minutes walk from where you will be staying.

24 hour restaurant also within 2 minutes walk, turn out of your hotel on to soi 8, walking away from the Beach and you will see 2 restaurants on the other side of what is known as 2nd Road.
The one on the left is open 24 hours, mix of Thai and Western type food.

Plenty of nearby food choices, as already mentioned.

I am generally in that local area very late on Friday and Saturday nights, happy to meet up for a beer and chat if you want.

Usually at one of several bars nearby that have live music playing if of any interest.

smitty1404 06-07-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roamer (Post 222750)

I am generally in that local area very late on Friday and Saturday nights, happy to meet up for a beer and chat if you want.

Usually at one of several bars nearby that have live music playing if of any interest.

I will be in town on Aug 14th, I'd be happy to meet up for a drink or two. Off-hand, what do they consider Drinking Street? As if they aren't all drinking streets. :cheersmate: Caught wind of a place that looked like it had some good pool tables and a decent place to eat across the way.

roamer 06-08-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty1404 (Post 222812)
I will be in town on Aug 14th, I'd be happy to meet up for a drink or two. Off-hand, what do they consider Drinking Street? As if they aren't all drinking streets. :cheersmate: Caught wind of a place that looked like it had some good pool tables and a decent place to eat across the way.

Hi smitty

Thanks, I`ll send you a PM or post here nearer the time to arrange a meet up.

There is a " Drinking Street " in north Pattaya.

To get there from where you will be staying, exit your hotel, walk up soi 8 away from the beach, when you get to 2nd Road( 20 seconds from your hotel) catch a bahtbus.
It should go straight across the next set of traffic lights, if it turns left( a very few do ) you need to jump off and start again.

Or you can walk across the set of lights and catch one there( 2 minutes walk if that from your hotel)

After about 5 minutes( on bahtbus) you should notice on your right, the " Drinking Street " sign, it is a short way after " Big C" shopping centre, also on your right, i.e just keep looking to your right.
Very near " JJ Market " massive signage for that.

2nd Road is one way, if before you see Drinking Street, the bahtbus turns left( again unlikely) get off.
If you get to a roundabout, you`ve gone too far, get off, walk against the traffic and in less than 5 minutes you will be at Drinking Street

I hope that is not too confusing, in reality it is very easy, just hard to describe.
or you can get a motorbike taxi, maybe 30 baht at a guess

Drinking Street has approx 20 bars or so, a few places for food and as you have said quite a few pool tables.

Some like it, others don`t.

I`ve been a few times, found it to be OK, although haven`t been for a while.

There`s a handful of other bars within easy walking distance.

5 minutes on bahtbus from your hotel, worth taking a look if the sound of it appeals.