Pattaya-Revealed.com

Pattaya-Revealed.com (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/index.php)
-   Thailand Forum (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Newbie trip to LOS (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/showthread.php?t=15983)

gonzo 06-02-2013 01:07 AM

You should do ok in Pattaya for food, plenty of cheap decent options around for either Thai or western food. Sunshine is a great location, head towards the beach from there and you've got Sailor Bar doing good cheap western meals less than 5 mins walk from the hotel. The food in Angeles was bloody awful my only trip there (admittedly some years ago) but in Pattaya you'll find lots of decent eateries from budget to high end places.

smitty1404 06-02-2013 02:52 AM

Now I just have to avoid the upset stomach with all the abuse it's going to be put through.

Fork Handles 06-02-2013 05:25 AM

smitty, I stayed at Sunshine about 8 years ago. It was ok, and I believe has been rebuilt since, so I'd say its a good choice.

smitty1404 06-02-2013 06:04 AM

From what I gather they did a little renovating on the old wing and built a new tower wing. It looks pretty good. I'll post up my opinions of everything while I'm there. Provided the other head doesn't drain all the blood from my brain and take over. :D

woodman2 06-02-2013 08:29 AM

The airport trains run until midnight.

By the way I have just looked on the website for the train times and something aint right.

The site only shows 2 types of train. Red and Blue. There is a third Yellow. I know because I have caught it.

It also shows the Express train (red) terminating at Makkasan not Phraya Thai. That is also wrong. Again I have caught the Express train to Phraya Thai.

So, either the web site is wrong or they have significantly altered the service since I last used it at Christmas. I will check that out next week.

PS. I have used Pattaya Limo with no problem except on my last visit when they let me down. Keep the number to hand. I was on time. When I called they told me their driver was in traffic 15 minutes away. Perhaps he was. I didn't wait to find out. Lots of other options about.

roamer 06-02-2013 11:14 AM

Hi

Sunshine Hotel in an excellent location, as already mentioned.
I`ve not stayed there, the new wing looks good from the outside.

As well as the nearby Sailor bar for decent value food, you have plenty of other choices nearby.

One that is also quite good for the money is " Seaside Restaurant ", which is in a little cut through between soi 7 & soi 8, next to " Globetrotter Hotel and Restaurant "
About 2 minutes walk from where you will be staying.

24 hour restaurant also within 2 minutes walk, turn out of your hotel on to soi 8, walking away from the Beach and you will see 2 restaurants on the other side of what is known as 2nd Road.
The one on the left is open 24 hours, mix of Thai and Western type food.

Plenty of nearby food choices, as already mentioned.

I am generally in that local area very late on Friday and Saturday nights, happy to meet up for a beer and chat if you want.

Usually at one of several bars nearby that have live music playing if of any interest.

:cheers:

smitty1404 06-07-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roamer (Post 222750)

I am generally in that local area very late on Friday and Saturday nights, happy to meet up for a beer and chat if you want.

Usually at one of several bars nearby that have live music playing if of any interest.

I will be in town on Aug 14th, I'd be happy to meet up for a drink or two. Off-hand, what do they consider Drinking Street? As if they aren't all drinking streets. :cheersmate: Caught wind of a place that looked like it had some good pool tables and a decent place to eat across the way.

roamer 06-08-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty1404 (Post 222812)
I will be in town on Aug 14th, I'd be happy to meet up for a drink or two. Off-hand, what do they consider Drinking Street? As if they aren't all drinking streets. :cheersmate: Caught wind of a place that looked like it had some good pool tables and a decent place to eat across the way.

Hi smitty

Thanks, I`ll send you a PM or post here nearer the time to arrange a meet up.

There is a " Drinking Street " in north Pattaya.

To get there from where you will be staying, exit your hotel, walk up soi 8 away from the beach, when you get to 2nd Road( 20 seconds from your hotel) catch a bahtbus.
It should go straight across the next set of traffic lights, if it turns left( a very few do ) you need to jump off and start again.

Or you can walk across the set of lights and catch one there( 2 minutes walk if that from your hotel)

After about 5 minutes( on bahtbus) you should notice on your right, the " Drinking Street " sign, it is a short way after " Big C" shopping centre, also on your right, i.e just keep looking to your right.
Very near " JJ Market " massive signage for that.

2nd Road is one way, if before you see Drinking Street, the bahtbus turns left( again unlikely) get off.
If you get to a roundabout, you`ve gone too far, get off, walk against the traffic and in less than 5 minutes you will be at Drinking Street

I hope that is not too confusing, in reality it is very easy, just hard to describe.
or you can get a motorbike taxi, maybe 30 baht at a guess

Drinking Street has approx 20 bars or so, a few places for food and as you have said quite a few pool tables.

Some like it, others don`t.

I`ve been a few times, found it to be OK, although haven`t been for a while.

There`s a handful of other bars within easy walking distance.

5 minutes on bahtbus from your hotel, worth taking a look if the sound of it appeals.