Pattaya-Revealed.com

Pattaya-Revealed.com (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Cricket Rambles (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/showthread.php?t=16188)

bazzap 02-14-2014 08:48 AM

Cricket Rambles

Just a few ramblings

Australia doing ok against South Africa at the moment but I still fear we are not far away from one of our dreaded 2nd innings disasters where we get less than 100 total. The Proteas have the attack to do this.

Mitchell Johnson has brought along his "A" game for 6 Tests in a row now. Must be some sort of record for him.

Who do you think will and/or should be the next English coach? Will he be his own man or a YES man to the ECB??

Australia are amongst the lowest in the T20 rankings but so many Australians are playing in the IPL. Many for big bucks as well. Thought it strange that no-one picked up James Faulkner though.

:cheers:

old crust 02-14-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazzap (Post 225194)
Who do you think will and/or should be the next English coach? Will he be his own man or a YES man to the ECB?

:cheers:

Good couple of questions Baz that few people know the answer to.

The preferred option is Gary Kirsten, but they are having a real problem getting him to do it. Big money is being offered, but so far he is resisting. There is no plan B or C, so it could end up with plan Z which is Ashley Giles. There are no current English born county coaches who fit the bill. If they give up on Kirsten a plan B might be Jason Gillespie, although that is just my thoughts, I have not heard that from any cricket circles.

The yes man question is really about would the new man be a yes man to Paul Downton. Because he is new to the job it is not clear what his management style is. By appointing Gus Fraser to the selection committee I would suggest Downton is not looking for yes men.

bigphill67 02-16-2014 12:42 PM

tend to think whoever gets the job is taking a poisoned chalice as many of his options have been reduced already

old crust 02-16-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigphill67 (Post 225216)
tend to think whoever gets the job is taking a poisoned chalice as many of his options have been reduced already

Good point Phil. It will certainly not be easy, especially without any quality slow bowler and a few batting places up for grabs. I think the seam bowling options look ok with Stokes and Onions hopefully coming through. It will also be interesting to see who the stumper is. I would go back to Prior and give him another go.

Frankie 02-16-2014 06:22 PM

Its astounding how English International cricket has gone completely to dog shit in such a short space of time. Trott and Swann chucking it in mid tour, coach subsequently sacked and Pietersen told his international career is over.

I nominate Alec Stewart for the coach job. No real logic to that. Just liked how he went about the game as a player.

old crust 02-16-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 225220)
I nominate Alec Stewart for the coach job. No real logic to that. Just liked how he went about the game as a player.

No chance Frankie, Stewart needs numerous cupboards to keep all his skeletons in. Some of them quite serious.

Frankie 02-18-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old crust (Post 225221)
No chance Frankie, Stewart needs numerous cupboards to keep all his skeletons in. Some of them quite serious.

Sounds like he should become a Politician or join the Catholic Priesthood.

Fork Handles 02-19-2014 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 225245)
Sounds like he should become a Politician or join the Catholic Priesthood.

We've got a couple like that :smoke::smoke:

bazzap 02-22-2014 04:29 PM

Aussies could do with some decent, consistent batsmen at the moment.

Watson & Hughes back for the next Test???

:paranoid:

bazzap 02-23-2014 10:32 PM

Crikey!!

Went to bed Australia were 144/1

Thank fuck I did not see the carnage that followed

:sad:

Fork Handles 02-24-2014 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazzap (Post 225299)
Aussies could do with some decent, consistent batsmenat the moment.

Watson & Hughes back for the next Test???

:paranoid:

Clarke is the one out of form. Can't see him getting dropped.

bazzap 02-28-2014 02:39 PM

I see WG Grace is back playing for England tonight/today in Antigua

:unionjack:

bazzap 03-23-2014 09:08 AM

The Sheffield Shield might be coming home again.

:grinnod:

Fork Handles 03-23-2014 02:31 PM

To Sheffield?:playing:

bazzap 03-24-2014 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fork Handles (Post 225439)
To Sheffield?:playing:

Definitely not to Victoria or Queensland

:yay:

bazzap 03-25-2014 03:54 PM

Back where it belongs. The WACA lads were lucky the likes of Clarke, Warner, Watson, Haddin, Starc & Bollinger etc were unavailable. Still it needs a better system to decide the winner. The home team will always play for a draw which is very un-Australian.

Frankie 04-19-2014 06:27 PM

Peter Moores has been appointed as England's new Head Coach. Again. I think his lack of international experience, both as a player and coach, could be a big disadvantage. Not least because any England player can throw it back at him. Could have been a lot worse though. Ashley Giles could have got the job.

Although with Pieterson gone for good the main source of dressing room anarchy might have been removed.

Future does'nt look good to me. Pieterson gone, Trott teetering on the brink and worst of all Swann having chucked it. Lots of opportunities for good young cricketers. But can they step up this season and perform consistently at Test level?

bigphill67 04-20-2014 02:05 PM

only time will tell Frankie but better to let them try, than to carry on with things how they were.

monsterman 04-20-2014 04:20 PM

I hope that Peter can sort out the shambles that is English cricket .

bazzap 06-18-2014 12:26 PM

Oh dear!!!!

The Chucker is now an Australian bowling coach

The Chucker

:ohno:

Jake 06-20-2014 07:53 PM

For one silly moment there I thought you were referring to West Indian Charlie Griffiths

Just showing my age

old crust 06-20-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake (Post 226143)
For one silly moment there I thought you were referring to West Indian Charlie Griffiths

Just showing my age

Standards around chucking have fallen so much that Charlie Griffiths action would not even be looked at today. The game is much poorer for the lax attitude to an important part of cricket.

Frankie 07-12-2014 06:21 PM

Arise Sir Jimmy Anderson the Burnley Lara strikes again (for the first time). Aided by a top innings from Joe Root.

But what was Dhoni thinking about? No strategy or even a basic game plan. Seemed to me he was waiting for something to happen and what a long wait he and his team had.

Jake 07-12-2014 07:16 PM

It made for watching a great first session this morning though, didn't it ?

old crust 07-12-2014 07:17 PM

We are starting to see the down side of the installation in recent years of drainage systems on English grounds. Three test matches so far and three dead decks.

Frankie, you are spot on with Dhoni, very poor leadership and by leaving Ashwell out, poor selection an'all.

Frankie 07-12-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake (Post 226264)
It made for watching a great first session this morning though, didn't it ?

Your right there J. I thought it would all be over in the first few balls. Then I thought maybe get the lead down to under 100 runs, possibly 75 runs. But to be runs ahead and batting into the afternoon session was amazing. Plus keeping India in the field for 2.5 hours in the morning + + + all the other stuff.

An amazing morning session, with records broken from what was a desperate situation.

Frankie 07-12-2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old crust (Post 226265)
We are starting to see the down side of the installation in recent years of drainage systems on English grounds. Three test matches so far and three dead decks.

Frankie, you are spot on with Dhoni, very poor leadership and by leaving Ashwell out, poor selection an'all.

I will spout on about Anderson but when tailenders are weighing in so heavily with the runs in the same Test match there has to be an issue with the track. It seems numerous grounds have installed super fast drainage systems that have withdrawn too much moisture resulting in lifeless wickets. Easy to bat on but will result in the team batting first putting on a good score with the opposition then doing likewise as the bowlers cant get any assistance. Result, loads of drawn Tests that wont interest paying punters.

Couldnt understand what Dhoni's thoughts were in the morning session. Started with seamers, that didnt work but kept going with it anyway. Result Anderson settled in and Root, as he should be, was in control. Couldnt understand why Dhoni didnt revert to spin at one end after 8 overs or so, then rotate the seamers from the other end. Plus let one of the batsmen bowl some flighted filth and see if Anderson would have a dip. Mix and match, change things to try and upset the batsmens rythm. But no.

Holding summed it up best on commentary with "Whats the defintion of madness? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result each time. Well thats what Dhoni is doing".

Frankie 07-13-2014 06:43 PM

Well Jimmy got Man of the Match, well deserved IMO as without his batting effort Root would have been left high and dry and England would have been facing a big first innings defecit.

India could have then applied some preassure and with England's ability to capitulate, Cook out of form anything could have happened.

foz 07-13-2014 10:31 PM

Cook has to step down .Hes clueless and field placings,and its had a massive down turn in form.

Frankie 07-18-2014 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foz (Post 226276)
Cook has to step down.

Its looking more like that as every innings goes by without a score.

Anyway on to Lords. After the dead wicket Test at Trent Bridge a green track is served up. I bet Cook was bricking himself when the coin was spinning. England win toss, put India in and fail to bowl them out on day one on a wicket ideally suited to seam bowling.

IMO at the end of Day Two India are ahead on points as well as runs.

Frankie 07-26-2014 07:17 PM

Third Test starts tomorrow. More of the same I think.

bazzap 07-27-2014 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 226508)
Third Test starts tomorrow. More of the same I think.

As I keep reminding our mate Flacky

"Remember Rorke's Drift ... just when you think all is lost ...."

In Australia we say "never forget Steven Bradbury!!"

It ain't over till it's over .....

:ausflag:

monkeyspanker 07-27-2014 06:31 PM

the turning point, we are back, world beater..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/28514338

My arse :(

Frankie 07-27-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazzap (Post 226523)
As I keep reminding our mate Flacky

"Remember Rorke's Drift ... just when you think all is lost ...."

In Australia we say "never forget Steven Bradbury!!"

It ain't over till it's over .....

:ausflag:

Thats true Baz and Cookie came good today and at last the team got off to a decent start for what seems like the first time for decades. Even though Cook missed out on a ton he passed Pieterson and Gower in the leading English Test run scorers.

Hopefully a corner has been turned and at least some level of batting consistency can be anticipated. Bells been short of runs recently and he needs to weigh in tommorrow as well.

old crust 07-27-2014 08:01 PM

They are not too far away. Need to sort out who opens with Cook, Robson's not a test opener and may never be. Not sure Butler is good enough as a keeper and obviously we need a spinner. I will be interested to see how Patel the Middlesex slow bowler develops, he is the best prospect I have seen this season.

Frankie 07-27-2014 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old crust (Post 226585)
They are not too far away. Need to sort out who opens with Cook, Robson's not a test opener and may never be. Not sure Butler is good enough as a keeper and obviously we need a spinner. I will be interested to see how Patel the Middlesex slow bowler develops, he is the best prospect I have seen this season.

IMO Robson is too fond of poking at balls that are outside the line of off stump.

Buttler: With his keeping I cant decide if he is quite capable and understated or if he has never been put under any real pressure. One day keeping does not compare to Test level. Anyway we will find out if he plays a couple of Tests. Hopefully he can also consistenly score runs at Test level.

On the subject of keeping. MS Dhoni. He fumbles and blunders through a Test match but seems to hang on when it matters as with his leg side catch of Cook when standing up. But his clumsiness when dealing with basic throws from fielders is unbelievable. Blocks with pads and often spilling the ball. Theres no tidying up, he has the ability to make good fielding look piss poor.

Plus I think his captaincy is often poor, tends to cruise along waiting for something to happen. Today Ashwin is not picked, yet again, but Dhoni then has spinners operating from both ends. IMO Dhoni exists on his impressive IPL expolits which mean very little in Test match cricket.

England spinners. Cant answer that one. Think its on a wing and a prayer, or on the piss with Monty Pannesar.

Fork Handles 07-28-2014 09:31 AM

Oh Dear....

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/crick...728-zxrdc.html :pity:

monkeyspanker 07-28-2014 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
name that guy.

Frankie 07-28-2014 07:59 PM

England filled their boots on Day 2. I knew they would come good. Maybe.

foz 07-28-2014 10:47 PM

We need some new bowlers .Broad needs a rest hes not a 100% fit.Better display today ,but we are only playing a india attack that most teams would beat.