Pattaya-Revealed.com

Pattaya-Revealed.com (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Cricket Rambles (http://www.pattaya-revealed.com/showthread.php?t=16188)

kuranda_bagman 09-05-2015 11:00 PM

Lack of premeditation doesn't excuse the act

By the laws, there was every reason to give Stokes out.

The wording is that a batsman must wilfully interfere with a fielder's work by word or deed, and representations for Stokes centred around the word "wilful". If it was a flinch response, how could that apply?

But on the replay, Stokes reached his hand well outside the line of his body and hit the ball away from the stumps. The ball wasn't aimed at him and wasn't going to hit him.

Stokes is a left-handed batsman. He played the drive down the pitch, then took a couple of steps while expecting that it would beat the bowler. Once it didn't, he urgently needed to get back.

He began to turn towards his right, with the bat handle held in his right hand. The throw was also going past his right hand.

At that point, while turning, Stokes reached his left hand all the way across his body, and extended his arm nearly full length. The ball hit his palm, given by this stage Stokes almost had his back to the bowler.

He was looking back towards Starc until shortly before impact.

This was not the act of someone reflexively protecting his body, it was the act of someone reflexively intercepting the ball.

There's every likelihood that the action was instinctive, and it certainly had no time to be premeditated, but that doesn't change its effect or its intent.

kuranda_bagman 09-05-2015 11:07 PM

Here's the video

http://zippy.gfycat.com/GorgeousResp...Blackbird.webm

bazzap 09-06-2015 02:03 AM

Exactly right John

Pretty obvious why he was given out.

Typical Poms. They invented the game and its rules and when the rules go against them, its bad sportsmanship by the opposition.

If ever England were going to win a one day series against Australia, this was their big chance. Coming off an Ashes series win and top performances against the Kiwis, they should have been full of confidence.

Johnson, Hazlewood, Finch, Faulkner from the WC winning side six months ago are not there. Clarke and Haddin retired as well. In this game, Warner took no part and Watson could not bowl.

And yet, the Aussies continue to win. The machine marches on.

dancing

ferocious 09-06-2015 03:31 AM

fair enough if the on field umpire had given it out it was the fact the Aussies went crying with a review

WankingWodger 09-06-2015 08:53 AM

The Aussies wouldn't know about fair play and etiquette of cricket if it came up and hit them with a cricket bat.

I suggest we put Bazza and Bagman in the middle of the Soi and then we throw cricket balls as hard as we can from 18 yards at them and see how they react.

They need to have a word with that fine upstanding sportsman Stuart Broad about sportsmanship.

:bigfinger

Fork Handles 09-06-2015 09:34 AM

it wasn't the Aussies who asked for a review. Starc seemed unsure of what the rule was. Dharmasena called for a review. All of which gave Smith ample time to remember that it was only a one-day match and make a gesture that would have reset the tenor of future games.

ferocious 09-06-2015 04:11 PM

Sorry My mistake , starc appealed for out and smith had the chance to withdraw the appeal

Fork Handles 09-06-2015 09:18 PM

Someone in the press box said Stokes is the first non-Indian or Paki given out under this rule.

I'm sure I remember an Aussie handling the ball years ago. Maybe this is a different ruling, or maybe he meant in one-dayers?

Jake 09-07-2015 11:06 AM

Does anybody really think it made such a difference to the outcome ?

We lacked motivation and comittment and were outplayed at all levels. Again

Frankie 09-11-2015 07:28 PM

2-2 now. Game on!

kuranda_bagman 09-11-2015 08:33 PM

Good run chase by the poms

bazzap 09-13-2015 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuranda_bagman (Post 237283)
Good run chase by the poms

Eh? Why are you always so nice to the opposition?? That is so un-Australian.

Most of my best mates are English/Brits but on the sporting field, they are and always will be pommy bastards. They fucking hate us. That's because we usually beat them every time we play them.

Look at the wogball game (they call it football apparently). They think they are the bee knees when they play it. Yet the last time they played Australia, they put their top side against us and we still beat them 3-1. They played at home as well.

They haven't been game to play us since.

dancing

Hope the Aussies win the deciding ODI game tonight even if we are running out mainly the B team and a C grader or two. Might still be good enough to beat the Poms who have never won anything serious (ie World Cups) in the ODI arena

:ausflag:

Frankie 09-13-2015 06:09 PM

Fuck me what a let down that was. Claw it back to 2-2 and blow the decider.

kuranda_bagman 09-13-2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazzap (Post 237315)
Eh? Why are you always so nice to the opposition?? That is so un-Australian.

Its because I'm a gentleman from Queensland and believe in honest sportsmanship, unlike you, an uncouth New South Welshman turned sandgroper :bigfinger

Mind you we did beat the shit out of the poms overnight :ausflag:

Frankie 10-17-2015 06:42 PM

Rashid takes 5 wickets on the last day and bowls England towards an unlikely victory in a dull Test Match against Pakistan. Then with the England run chase well under way and only 25 runs needed for victory the Umpires take the teams off for bad light even though the floodlights are on.

Surely the Umpires could have just said we will play 2 more overs and if you aren’t over the line by then that’s your lot? Would have evened things up with all the time wasting the Pakis had done. Of course England would never indulge in such shoddy tactics unless it was totally justified. Like trying to avoid defeat in a Test Match.

bazzap 11-04-2015 08:33 AM

The cuzzie bros recently beat us in the Rugger WC, Caulfield Cup and the Melbourne Cup.

On Thursday they play us in the First Test in Brisbane. We with a few new players and captain and they with a settled side. Eerily like the 1985 Brisbane Test against them where Australia was trying to rebuild after the retirements of Marsh, Lillee, Chappell G. and Kim Hughes. And it was coming straight after a losing Ashes series in England as well.

The signs are not good plus they put some Queenslanders in the side to boot. Only 6 of the Test team play for NSW including the captain and v/c. Not enough!!

:ohno:

Good to see Warner made v/c. He will bring a steady head and hand to the team.

:boxing:

At least we are not playing for a Cup!!!

:ausflag:

bazzap 11-05-2015 08:55 AM

At end of day 1, Australia 2/389

NSW 204

QLD 173

dancing

bazzap 11-06-2015 06:52 AM

Hooray for Usie!!! 174!! Plenty more like this and I MAY forgive him a tad for defecting to Queensland.

Hopefully he can do a Hayden or Langer who both resurrected their careers after a poor start

Bowlers can do it too as the Kiwi's found out today

:banana:

bazzap 11-13-2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

And Warner is not a test batsman.

Three years to the day this was part of a post on this board. I wonder who wrote that??

Test Cricket

4th post down

Sometimes things come back and bite you on the bum

dancing

kuranda_bagman 11-13-2015 07:05 PM

2 for 416 at stumps with Warner on 244 not out.

Looks like we have batted the Kiwis out of this test match as well?

Frankie 11-13-2015 08:52 PM

I think it’s fair to say Warner is not a Test Match batsman. A Test Match could last 5 days and it’s quite likely a bloke like Warner would get himself locked up over that lengthy period. Bit like the Kiwi pisspot, big hitter, Jesse Ryder. What happened to him? Burst? Banged up?

Fork Handles 11-16-2015 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuranda_bagman (Post 238210)
2 for 416 at stumps with Warner on 244 not out.

Looks like we have batted the Kiwis out of this test match as well?

Not quite. Brilliant knock by Taylor. Not easy to chase a mammoth score.
Looks like Voges And Smith are gonna take it away from them now.

bazzap 11-28-2015 06:27 AM

Why oh why are those useless Marsh brothers in a Australian Test cricket team.

:angry:

ferocious 11-28-2015 10:03 AM

Could be over in 3 days that one Bazza

kuranda_bagman 11-29-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazzap (Post 238332)
Why oh why are those useless Marsh brothers in a Australian Test cricket team.
:angry:

Sean Marsh top scored in the second innings with 49!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferocious (Post 238335)
Could be over in 3 days that one Bazza

Australia won by 3 wickets in the last session of day 3!

Interesting test match?

bazzap 11-29-2015 09:59 AM

Quote:

Sean Marsh top scored in the second innings with 49

Following on from his magnificent 2 in the first innings. And a 0 and 2 in his previous Test match

Lets see how he goes against the Windies. Did I just hear on the ABC that he has played now 16 Tests and has been dropped 5 or 6 times??

What other batsmen has been given so many recalls to Test cricket?

:kenny:

Fork Handles 01-16-2016 07:07 PM

Saffers all out for 83; Poms win on the third day. I guess it can happen to anyone.:woosie:

bazzap 01-16-2016 10:47 PM

Is India now the number one Test team in the world according to the ICC rankings?

:dunno:

Fork Handles 01-17-2016 12:40 AM

1200 plus runs in 200 overs across two days. Aussies win both times. I'd say all four countries aren't where they were 3 or 4 years ago.

Pakis actually look the team to beat right now, but we never seem to play them.

bazzap 01-20-2016 01:51 PM

Forget the latest ODI's against the curry munchers.

This is real Australian cricket.

They even let a Pom play!!!

dancing

Fork Handles 01-23-2016 08:17 AM

Half way through the 2nd innings of the 5 th match, and we're about to reach 3000 runs for the series. Like so many cricket records, its more a curiosity than anything significant.
But are the wickets more placid than they should be, or has T20 taught the batsmen that no shot is impossible? Especially with these Jumbo bats.

I've enjoyed the Aussie T20 series this year. The huge run chases in the 50/50 have seemed quite clinical by comparison. Only five games now, when we used to have 18 or 20.

Still, its better than wanker fucking tennis.

Frankie 01-23-2016 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fork Handles (Post 239141)
Half way through the 2nd innings of the 5 th match, and we're about to reach 3000 runs for the series. Like so many cricket records, its more a curiosity than anything significant.
But are the wickets more placid than they should be, or has T20 taught the batsmen that no shot is impossible? Especially with these Jumbo bats.

I've enjoyed the Aussie T20 series this year. The huge run chases in the 50/50 have seemed quite clinical by comparison. Only five games now, when we used to have 18 or 20.

Still, its better than wanker fucking tennis.

Don’t think it’s solely down to the wickets but more to do with younger players being brought up on T/20 cricket and carrying that mentality over into Test Matches. Plus those massive bats they now use, but you still have to hit the ball. Years ago in limited 50 overs cricket a side chasing would consider 4 runs an over as par and 6 runs per over as practically impossible. On a decent wicket 6 runs an over is usually par now.

A good example is Joe Root. When he bats in a Test Match if the first ball he faces is slightly overpitched or widish he is straight on to it and, on occasion, puts it away for 4. The traditional method of test batting would be wait until you’ve got your eye in before attacking the ball, but that doesn’t seem to apply anymore. Until a batsman uppishly square cuts the first ball faced and is caught at cover point and, on commentary, it’s over to Geoffrey Boycott for his “opinion”.:ohmy:

bazzap 05-12-2016 10:41 AM

Sad news

Tony Cozier :rip:

Tony Cozier Dead at 75

:sad:

bazzap 05-24-2016 10:51 AM

Geezus, Mitch Marsh is still being picked for Test cricket

Aust Test Cricket Squad for Sri Lanka Tour

He is useless!!!

:faint:

ferocious 05-25-2016 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazzap (Post 240525)
Geezus, Mitch Marsh is still being picked for Test cricket

Aust Test Cricket Squad for Sri Lanka Tour

He is useless!!!

:faint:

So are Sri Lanka

gonzo 05-25-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferocious (Post 240530)
So are Sri Lanka

They better stay that way for the one-dayers too. Part of my attempt to convert the missus to cricket is dragging her to the 2 one-dayers in Cardiff in the summer. Sri Lanka first then Pakistan. A bit of sunshine and a couple of wins (plus plenty of cider) and I reckon I'll be well on the way to being able to watch a whole series at home without her moaning about losing access to the TV for days at a time.

ferocious 05-25-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzo (Post 240536)
They better stay that way for the one-dayers too. Part of my attempt to convert the missus to cricket is dragging her to the 2 one-dayers in Cardiff in the summer. Sri Lanka first then Pakistan. A bit of sunshine and a couple of wins (plus plenty of cider) and I reckon I'll be well on the way to being able to watch a whole series at home without her moaning about losing access to the TV for days at a time.

I'm off to Durham Monday for 4th day of 2nd test but that is in doubt the way we skittled them last week

Frankie 05-27-2016 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferocious (Post 240537)
I'm off to Durham Monday for 4th day of 2nd test but that is in doubt the way we skittled them last week

I'm off to Durham Saturday for 2nd day of 2nd test so it will probably piss down or "bad light", despite floodlights, will come into it. Would like to see Cookie score his 10,000th. I was at Headingley all those years ago when Borecott "accumulated" his 100th First Class Ton. So its payback time.

gonzo 05-28-2016 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 240556)
I'm off to Durham Saturday for 2nd day of 2nd test so it will probably piss down or "bad light", despite floodlights, will come into it. Would like to see Cookie score his 10,000th. I was at Headingley all those years ago when Borecott "accumulated" his 100th First Class Ton. So its payback time.

Hell of a day to watch, hope you enjoyed it. Not looking good for Reg though.

bazzap 05-29-2016 11:34 AM

There was a bit of a debate in the Cherry bar about a week ago (the night England wrapped up the First Test against Sri Lanka) with some knowledgeable English gents who knew a bit more than me about English & Test cricket.

I posed a few questions to seek their views.

1. Could England go to #1 in the ICC Test rankings if they won all the upcoming Tests against Sri Lanka and Pakistan (6 Tests in total)?

2. Could Cook go to past Tendulker's Test run total as he is only 31 and has plenty of years in him yet?

3. Could Jimmy Anderson go on to pass Glen McGrath's total of 563 Test wickets?

Nobody knew the answer to the first question and most doubted that Cook and Anderson could do it.

So I had a look at all the upcoming international fixture list released by the ICC which goes up to the end of Feb 2017 and found it interesting.

When the international games conclude for England on September 8th 2016, that's it for them. No more games in any format.

India play 3 ODI's and 3 T20 games in Zimbabwe in June 2016 and that's it for them as well. I found that one really strange as we all know the popularity of the game there.

Australia on the other hand play 6 ODI's in the West Indies next month, 3 Tests 5 ODI's and 2 T20 games in Sri Lanka in July/August, a ODI game against Ireland in Sept, 5 ODI's in South Africa in October. Then back to Australia to start a 3 Test series versus South Africa in November, 3 ODI's against the Kiwis in December, 3 Tests, 5 ODI's against the Paki's in Dec/Jan, 3 more ODI's against the Kiwis and 2 T20's against Sri Lanka all in February.

Throw in the IPL and other T20 leagues and some blokes (like Warner) are playing all year round

Good for Aussie supporters but I can't understand the disparity in scheduling. :dunno:

Not sure about Cook and Anderson now either. They have to play Tests to rack up the statistics. At least they will get a good break.

Maybe Australia will get a decent break next year to be nice and fresh for the Ashes series in Australia

dancing