PDA

View Full Version : My firefox browser has started crashing when I watch youtube... advice please !

soi 2
11-10-2008, 09:28 PM
I use the Mozilla Firefox browser and it has recently started to crash when I am watching youtube clips. Typically I can view or search for 2 or 3 videos then I get the message - Firefox is not responding, then Firefox has stopped working and it shuts down.

I had a bit of a rush of blood to the head the other day and I downloaded from this site... a tool called greasemonkey. :why::dunce:

http://www.randomboo.com/CheatFacebooksMobWarsGame.html

Then downloaded a cheat for a Mob Wars game from a site linked on that page. The problem with youtube started immediately making me think that this was related. So I removed the greasemonkey programme. By going to - Tools, Add ons, Uninstall. However this has not rectified the problem. I have run Windows Defender and Norton 360 and no malicious software has been found. I think that some sort of glitch with the greasemonkey/ mob wars cheat programme has caused this.

My question is....

Have I actually removed the greasemonkey programme by following the steps I did from my computer ?

If I have removed greasemonkey does that mean the other download that worked with it (mob wars cheat) has gone too, or do I need to delete that seperately (I can't see it). I asked this question on a forum where I got the download from and the advice was to delete the script for the cheat first through a greasemonkey control planel. As I've deleted greasemonkey that option has gone.

Anyway I'd be very grateful for advice as to the best course of action to take. :cheers:

gonzo
11-10-2008, 09:48 PM
I asked this question on a forum where I got the download from and the advice was to delete the script for the cheat first through a greasemonkey control planel. As I've deleted greasemonkey that option has gone.Easiest is prob to reinstall grease monkey then delete the add-on as it's probably still there and sounds like it's the root of the problem.

soi 2
11-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks gonzo, I'll do that.

soi 2
11-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Update - I reinstalled greasemonkey as you said. When I did that I could see the Mob Wars cheat scripts were still there. So I uninstalled them. Then I uninstalled greasemonkey and restarted my computer. However I am still having the same problem with firefox crashing when I watch youtube. Thankfully no other websites are affected. What do you reckon the best thing to do now is ? :cheers:

gonzo
11-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Hmmm, it's either firefox or flash then, which versions are you using mate?

soi 2
11-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I have Firefox (2.0.0.17) and Flash Player 9.

Would uninstalling Firefox and then re-installing it work ? Thanks gonzo.

gonzo
11-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Try upgrading either/both. Firefox is up to v3 now I think and there's a pretty stable beta of Flash 10. That might sort it for you.

p.s. If you're upgrading flash remember to fully uninstall the older version first or it'll fuck up.

soi 2
11-10-2008, 11:16 PM
OK thanks gonzo. I'll do that tomorrow hopefully that will sort it.

soi 2
11-11-2008, 10:45 PM
I've downloaded the new Mozilla Firefox v3. The problem with youtube is persisting.

I looked at the Mozilla Support Forum and it seems that a few users have problems with websites like youtube. Apparently there can be several causes, such as delays with the website caused by your computers anti-virus to name one of many. I also had a look at a youtube support forum. Where one bit of advice for Mozilla users was to clear their cache, cookies and disable ActiveX controls. I can clear cookies etc, but not sure how to disable ActiveX controls or what implications that might have for other internet use. Out of curiosity, what would happen if ActiveX was disabled ? It's all getting a bit complicated.

So I was thinking about just using Internet Explorer to watch youtube clips with. If it works then it would seem the least complicated option. Now I haven't used Internet Explorer for ages and when I went to youtube (in Internet Explorer), I couldn't view videos and was asked to download the latest Flash player. Which is Flash 10.

My question is... I have Flash 9 in Firefox but it doesn't show up in Explorer. So does that mean I can download Flash 10 in Explorer without uninstalling Flash 9 in Firefox ? :cheers:

gonzo
11-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Out of curiosity, what would happen if ActiveX was disabled ? Not a lot really, I think the next time you go to use activeX you'd get a message along the lines of 'activeX isn't enabled, do you want to turn it on?'

My question is... I have Flash 9 in Firefox but it doesn't show up in Explorer. So does that mean I can download Flash 10 in Explorer without uninstalling Flash 9 in Firefox ? :cheers:To be honest mate I don't know, I've never tried having 2 different versions running. Give it a go and see what happens, you can always uninstall it later if it doesn't work out..........actually, what I didn't think of suggesting yesterday that'd probably have been the easiest way to sort it all out would have been to roll back to your last refresh point prior to getting the problem.

soi 2
11-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi gonzo, thanks for the advice. I'll download Flash 10 in Explorer. If that works alright then I'll leave it at that.

With regards to 'my last refresh point prior to getting the problem' I suppose I could go into temporary internet files and and see which page this all started with. Saturday night just after that daft cheat thing I downloaded so should be easy enough to locate. Thanks.

soi 2
11-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Update - I downloaded Flash 10 in Explorer today without uninstalling Flash 9 from Firefox and it seems to work OK. It is hardly an inconvenience to use 2 browsers so I'll leave it at this. Thanks for the advice gonzo.

gonzo
11-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Glad you got it sorted anyway mate :cheers: