PDA

View Full Version : board hosting problems......

jonny
02-16-2007, 08:45 PM
As a result of the board being bigger and having more members/posts than we anticipated it seems we have outgrown our current hosting package. The server we are running off can not give us the capacity we need and we are constantly crashing the sql server and the board runs slow as a consequence. As a result of this we are moving to our own server. As we move we will have some downtime. I am hoping to be moving the database and board over the weekend sometime. I will try and do it as quickly as I can but it probably will take me a few hours. I can either leave the board up at the same time as I transfer it over or I can put it offline. If I leave it up any posts made in the transfer peiod will be lost when we transfer.

Either way the transfer will fix all the poblems we have had over the past 2 weeks and the board will be back and quick as ever and the extra capacity we will get with the move means the board can go forward and grow without having any downtime. We also will be able to accomodate the large numbers of users that we have been getting online at any one time.

I will keep you posted in this thread as the transfer happens!

jonny

butterflyblonde
02-16-2007, 08:58 PM
:040105_emKF25_prv: :040105_emKF25_prv:

butterflyblonde
02-16-2007, 08:59 PM
No worries Jonny, it's for the best.

In recent times I have found myself having to log in 3 or 4 times in a row just to get on. A general slowness and all kinds of crazy shit happening like a page appearing that have random text scrawled all over it. :040105_emKF25_prv:

Thanks for the hard work you have put in though to try and maintain this current version of the board.

old crust
02-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Is there a cost to all this jonny? If so don't forget to share it around. It is not fair if you are paying all the bills.

jonny
02-16-2007, 09:03 PM
it will be a bastard of a job but its got to be done to get the board running fast and staying fast no matter how many users we get on ( well more than enough for us)

I may be able to do it tomorrow morning if the server is fully configured and ready to go by then.......

jonny
02-16-2007, 09:04 PM
there is a cost but it is already taken care of mate. We will add the paypal button in at some point but for now we are fine.....

m mike
02-16-2007, 09:35 PM
there is a cost but it is already taken care of mate. We will add the paypal button in at some point but for now we are fine.....
Would like to add my bit if I give you my pay jonny number can a Cxxx in

m mike
02-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Would like to add my bit if I give you my pay jonny number can a Cxxx in Moscow clean out my bank account my friend here has had 300,000 euros creamed out of his bank account in S Africa and yes its gone forever

yusamile
02-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks for all the good work Jonny.

Mikey you saying you had money skimmed of your account ????

m mike
02-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the good work Jonny.

Mikey you saying you had money skimmed of your account ????
Not me thank god, a friend retiring here after 25 years hard work in S Africa his life savings 300,000 euros he was waiting before xmas for the transfer it never came, it went Durban-Moscow-Nigeria money gone he is now having to take the bank to court could take years nice Ehh and I thought I had problems:tomato:

jonny
02-17-2007, 06:23 PM
ok guys I am now in the process of transferring the board database. It means that any new posts over the next couple of hours will be lost when I transfer over to the new hosting.

All the board software has been transferred and it is just the database that needs transferring......

Thebomb
02-17-2007, 06:27 PM
bigbadsi is a gay ladyboy lover and i fuck ladyboys and farm yard animals

jonny
02-17-2007, 08:14 PM
board has been transferred guys. We are on a temp addres until I can transfer the domain over which may take a couple of days as the log in details are in my wok laptop!

bugger!

mack
02-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Jonny put in 7 hours doing this so let's be nice to him until tomorrow. :nerd:

jonny
02-17-2007, 08:26 PM
if you were on the site before and are now confused and missing some of the posts, we lost 2 hours worth of posts transferring the database over but it is in now and we should now be problem free!

I'm off out now so enjoy the problem free board!

m mike
02-17-2007, 08:38 PM
if you were on the site before and are now confused and missing some of the posts, we lost 2 hours worth of posts transferring the database over but it is in now and we should now be problem free!

I'm off out now so enjoy the problem free board!
Ehh just lost my Doc posts 1 hours work:war:

jonny
02-17-2007, 08:41 PM
sorry mate! at least the board works now!

m mike
02-17-2007, 08:45 PM
sorry mate! at least the board works now!
Ok Jonny problem now is Im on bottle 2 thanks buddy for all your work mikeys getting:pile:

mack
02-17-2007, 08:48 PM
...gang-tackled?

jonny
02-17-2007, 08:50 PM
don't tell si....he;ll be jealous

m mike
02-17-2007, 09:21 PM
don't tell si....he;ll be jealous
The chefs got a 7th chance she is doing me now a marinated argentain steak now will get back to you

ferocious
02-17-2007, 09:24 PM
The chefs got a 7th chance she is doing me now a marinated argentain steak now will get back to you

sounds good mike enjoy

m mike
02-17-2007, 09:30 PM
sounds good mike enjoy
Its about to be tested barman open botty 3

butterflyblonde
02-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Not a moan or complaint, but just want to ask if the board is slower now than before for anyone else ?

I find it crawls to almost dial up speed, especially while I'm downloading a torrent. Never had this problem before though whilst doing both things together.

Wierd.

jonny
02-19-2007, 06:54 PM
If you are downloading a torrent mate the chances are the torrent client is taking all of your bandwidth! Set a download and upload limit to stop this!

If I am downloading a torrent I cannot browse any website properly unless I limit it

butterflyblonde
02-19-2007, 07:23 PM
If you are downloading a torrent mate the chances are the torrent client is taking all of your bandwidth! Set a download and upload limit to stop this!

If I am downloading a torrent I cannot browse any website properly unless I limit it

Strangley I never had a problem until recently and was able to download several torrents at the same time without slowing down any sites much.

Thanks for the info though, I'm just looking at the preferences/connection settings on UTorrent now, can see that both bandwith limiting properties are set to 0 for..

Global Maximum upload rate (kB/s) = 0
Global Maximum Download Rate (kB/s) = 0

Would I be right in thinking it's the dowload rate properties I need to change ? And what to ?

jonny
02-19-2007, 07:29 PM
it all depends on what your internet connection is?

What you really have to look out for is the upload speed. e.g. I have a 2 meg connection. I can download at around 160-170 kb/s but i can only upload at around 50 kb/s. If I am uploading at 25 kb/s then it is taking half of my capacity and I can only download at 80 kb/s now. Thats assuming I am only downloading 1 item and am not browsing the internet!

Do you know what your internet connection is?

I actually only download torrents at night and I leave it downloading when I go to bed.

butterflyblonde
02-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Just changed both properties to 10 kB/s and has made a world of difference. Thanks for the advice.

jonny
02-19-2007, 07:47 PM
no probs, I would stick the download speed to 30-40 and keep the upload speed pretty low.....

The torrent will download will take precedence over the internet browsing so adjust it so the internet is ok! You want to get a good balance between fast download and being able to browse the internet ok......

m mike
02-19-2007, 07:56 PM
no probs, I would stick the download speed to 30-40 and keep the upload speed pretty low.....

The torrent will download will take precedence over the internet browsing so adjust it so the internet is ok! You want to get a good balance between fast download and being able to browse the internet ok......
jonny do you sell computers or build em, I have the latest large plasma screen the shop where I bought it last year is now closed the guy said dont touch it or try to clean it So like what am I supposed to do I can hardly see whats what now with you name it its on it like a mixed grill

jonny
02-19-2007, 07:58 PM
haven't a clue about cleaning plasma tv's mate? I don;t build computers! I just do some web design as a hobbie now and again!

m mike
02-19-2007, 08:21 PM
haven't a clue about cleaning plasma tv's mate? I don;t build computers! I just do some web design as a hobbie now and again!
Ok how do you clean your computer screen do you wash it with boiling soapy water hit it with a 12 hammer or just buy a new one:cool2:

bouncer
02-19-2007, 08:25 PM
you can buy special cleaning vipes at your shop atleast i can

m mike
02-19-2007, 08:37 PM
you can buy special cleaning vipes at your shop atleast i can
Can you send me a years supply will send used condoms in return this hostel is full of em:blowup:

butterflyblonde
02-19-2007, 08:40 PM

Incidentally I have an interview this week with a career consultant from an I.T center, so I'm hoping to start I.T support or networking courses very soon.

Have you never thought about I.T careers Jonny ? You certainly seem to have the aptitude and know how. Good money to be made too for the real brainy buggers.

jonny
02-19-2007, 08:47 PM
in that case you can start maintaining the board!!! It probably wouldn't be a bad move for me going into something like that........I am a bit of a geek!

butterflyblonde
02-19-2007, 08:56 PM
in that case you can start maintaining the board!!! It probably wouldn't be a bad move for me going into something like that........I am a bit of a geek!

I reckon you would fly throught it, don't want to ask what you currently earn but you could be looking at 30 - 45 k per anum ?

jonny
02-19-2007, 08:57 PM
to be honest I am quite happy where I am, the company I work for is pretty good to me.......It might be something to look into though??

torrenova
02-20-2007, 12:56 PM
So how much did all this cost Jonny and what are our new annualised costs ?

monsterman
02-20-2007, 01:02 PM
use isopropol alchohol to clean the sreen with soft cloth or tissue.available at any good chemist or maplins.

monsterman

jonny
02-20-2007, 01:07 PM
It is quite a lot more than what we initailly set up but we have some options now we have our own server. We can recoup some of the costs if anyone is interested in a small managed and hosted website? Maybe someone could put the word around????

but it is still around the same as it was for the other board originally?

m mike
02-21-2007, 03:42 PM
use isopropol alchohol to clean the sreen with soft cloth or tissue.available at any good chemist or maplins.

monsterman
Dont think I could trust myself with that I might drink it :MyEmoticons-com__fa

bouncer
03-05-2007, 02:33 PM
im on my 3 bottel of merot

whatewer

m mike
03-06-2007, 09:26 PM
im on my 3 bottel of merot

whatewer
We should meet up Im after 10pm always on bottle 3 now on 2-more to :gora: