PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool need to maintain their momentum

mack
09-20-2008, 08:00 PM
This was in the Bangkok Post and I have no idea what he's talking about :sweat: but he does throw out some strong opinions, so maybe some of you who are interested in these two teams have some opinions of your own... :cheers:

Liverpool need to maintain their momentum
by STEVE McMAHON

It was a long time coming but Liverpool thoroughly deserved their win over Manchester United last weekend. Liverpool worked hard and the players did the jobs they were supposed to do. The best thing the Reds did was taking the game to United.

They were positive and did not just sit back and let United dictate play. They made sure they were first to every ball. The team also defended from the front and forced the United players to make mistakes. Liverpool's winning goal came from a great hustle by Javier Mascherano in the United box.

To be honest, Liverpool finally look balanced in their play. On the other hand, Manchester United did not. The Reds played to their strengths whereas United had players playing out of position.

Let me get this straight. Wayne Rooney is not a winger and never will be. You can't get the best from Rooney when you play him in the Cristiano Ronaldo position on the right flank. Rooney is at his best when he is a striker. You can't just accommodate players just for the sake of it.

And I think United miss Carlos Queiroz. He is a world-class coach. Queiroz could have told Ferguson to leave Dimitar Berbatov on the bench and leave Carlos Tevez and Rooney up-front.

Manchester United's Wayne Rooney
Queiroz would have told Ferguson to use his home-grown players in this game because they know what it means to play against their most bitter rivals.

Ferguson himself once said local players understand the local rivalry between the two clubs and will give their all for the cause. Then why wasn't Gary Neville even in the squad? And I did not understand why John O'Shea and Darren Fletcher did not start this game as well.

For Liverpool, I like the look of Albert Riera who gave the home side the stability they have been craving on the left flank. They now have a naturally left-footed attacking player who will give balance in attack. But after saying all that, we must also take care not to get too carried away with this win.

Beating United for the first time in ages have sent expectations at Anfield sky-high. Fans are now thinking of the Reds can go on and win the league. Slow down, I say. One swallow does not make a summer. It's only four games into the season. Let's see how they fare for the next 20 games or so and then we'll see how it goes.

I do not like to criticise Liverpool for nothing. I only do so because we are frustrated by Liverpool. We are frustrated when they are not performing to the best of their capabilities. But for once at Anfield last weekend, Liverpool were positive and played to the best of their abilities. Long may that continue.

Former England and Liverpool midfielder Steve McMahon is ESPN's football analyst.

old crust
09-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Goal less draw with mighty Stoke this week.

Bilbobaggins
09-21-2008, 12:32 PM
That Riera that's gone to Liverpool for a lot of money was on loan at Manchester City a couple of seasons ago and I have to say, looked distinctly average.
Surprised Liverpool went for him