View Full Version : The Man City takeover

roamer
09-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Don`t shoot me, you footie experts.:hiding:

Got no team I support and only occasionally watch
matches,more so in Pattaya rather than back
home.

I enjoy watching Liverpool international matches
because they seem so intent on putting on a good show and perhaps playing just a step up
from what they would against another
British team.

As a complete outsider looking in, isn`t that what it should be about, entertainment and passion?

Same as sometimes the Scots international team
and supporters, even when they haven`t really got a chance of winning,there`s enthusiasm.

Throw big money at a club as is happening with Man City and I guess they`ll get results but is it
really satisfying for supporters?

Appears you can buy results and success by buying the best players in the world.

I suppose that`s the way of the football world
but comes across as being very clinical and
money orientated.

ferocious
09-02-2008, 08:43 PM
i think stability has played a big part in man uniteds success over the years & these money men at chelsea & now city need to bear this in mind , if you chop and change managers it can set you back a season while your new man gets his own team together or playing his way... Chelsea have bought success to a degree but they don't play atractive football too often

gonzo
09-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Not necessarily, the most entertaining game for me this weekend was watcing Arsenal tear Newcastle apart. How they didn't get more than 3 goals I'll never know but they were superb to watch and yet they have a very young squad, relatively cheaply assembled. The lack of depth in the squad is their limiation and the only reason I think they won't be serious contenders for the title but I'd be suprised if they fail to get any silverware again this season as on their day they're a match for anyone IMO.

Bilbobaggins
09-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Don`t shoot me, you footie experts.:hiding:
As a complete outsider looking in, isn`t that what it should be about, entertainment and passion?

Same as sometimes the Scots international team
and supporters, even when they haven`t really got a chance of winning,there`s enthusiasm.

Throw big money at a club as is happening with Man City and I guess they`ll get results but is it
really satisfying for supporters?

Paul, gonna take you to task a little.........

yes football is all about entertainment and passion.

What I will say is, Chelski have so many jonny-come-latelys (not a slur on our Jonnys boyztown escapades) that the atmosphere there is terrible, and despite all their money, they play shite football most of the time, but their fans love them winning things.

yoonighted won a title or two winning badly i.e. playing bad and winning 1-0 regularly, same as arsenal used to.

We're the masters of the piss-take, out of ourselves........32 years without a trophy of note.......

As I said before, even a League Cup win would mean more to us than all of yoonighteds leagues and cups put together. I agree it is against the spirit of the game to challenge this way, but at the end of the day the top 4 has stayed the top 4 because of one thing, CASH.
I would absolutely love it if the team I have supported all my life, the team that finished 5th twice in a row in the 90's but were denied european football because of the murdering scousers, won something.

I had 3 dreams in my life, football wise, to see City win at Wembley (99 3rd div playoff final, on penalties)

To see City play in Europe, the game at the millenium 4/5 years ago doesn't count so I am hoping we get to the group stages this year.......

The 3rd one is to see City win a major trophy. I hope that will happen sooner rather than later.

As I previously posted too, I hope City spend their money and keep their standing as a decent community orientated club, and not dissolve into a farce as Chelski have done.

butterflyblonde
09-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Some points I'd like to make is that while I wish any club every success, especially considering it's usually 1 of 3 teams that win the premiership which gets boring for everyone, there are right and wrong ways to go about it in my view.

Very important to keep your youth squad of local talent involved in the side, there's nothing wrong with adding a few quality foreigners into the mix, it makes the football exciting for starters as they often possess skills the majority of home grown talent simply don't have but the traditions of bringing through home pickings can easily be lost, the bigger a team becomes.

Baggins, our resident City supporter has already voiced this opinion and pointed out that Man Utd haven't introduced much home talent in recent times, the main problem is that when you become one of the teams that challenges for top honours on a yearly basis, the pressure and expectations builds so much that it reaches the point where managers of these top rates clubs hardly dare take the risk of not playing the Drogba's, Ronaldo's and so on. Leaving those brought through the youth system out in the cold in favour for foreigners.

Considering this arab owner is now talking about making City the biggest club in the world, I can only see that club going the same way over the next few years.
Of course the fans want long awaited success and I'm sure that will come fairly soon but making City into a 'super club' will inevitably attract more foreign players, plastic fair weather fans and a large dollop of unwanted attention, look at how Man Utd have gone from being a working class supported club like most others into one of the most hated clubs of all time for various reasons, Chelsea as another example were applauded when they won the title 1st time round, but look how they are now talked about with a similar type of hate like Man Utd, by fans up and down the country.

I can see this arab guy taking City into a similar situation, Man City could actually become the very thing the fans hate about Man Utd.

It would be nice to see them keep to their proud working class roots thats earns the respect of other fans, but I fear that will be lost forever as the inevitable 'team to hate' is created.

Bilbobaggins
09-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I agree bb...........
I stated on the frank sells city thread that I hope we don't go the same way as yoonighted.
City's Academy is the most productive in the Premier League I believe, and have produced some real quality players.
I would hate City to lose their rightful tag of being Manchesters community club.
Not sure we will attract the glory hunters, and really really hope we don't.
When City were in the 3rd division, 98-99, I went to 43 league games and quit 3 jobs because they wouldn't give me time off to go to the football. I'm not one of them. BTW a 'home' game for me is a 460 mile round trip, so glory hunter I am not.

Can't see us ever being hated a la chelski but the new owner isn't doing us any favours talking about ronaldo (hate the cunt) gerrard and fabregas.

Bilbobaggins
09-02-2008, 10:24 PM
i think stability has played a big part in man uniteds success over the years

yoonighted became the world famous brand they are now because of the Munich air disaster. Most educated reds will freely admit that.
The one thing I respect them for, is that their money is self-generated.

butterflyblonde
09-03-2008, 08:17 AM
no matter how famous man-ure think they are they never won the european cup twice, let alone 2 years on the bounce dancing

Unlike the mighty Forest. dancing

ferocious
09-03-2008, 08:34 AM
you can never win that cup too many times dancing
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/cmtltd/untitled2.jpg

tom
09-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Still, the team usually play their best, the fans seldom cause any aggro beyond passing out pissed on the pavement. Its not a bad life being a Jock supporter though drawing with the Faroe Islands was pushing things a bit!

Failing to score against Estonia when they didn't turn up takes some beating as well. :yellowwarn:

Got to admit that the best holiday I ever had was in Torremolinos for the 1982 World Cup. :buttsex:

ROLAND
09-03-2008, 01:31 PM
For the neutral fan who likes watching any kind of match on TV it is great news as the 'Top 4' is becoming a 'Top 5' now and that means one of them won't quailfy for the riches of the Champions League and it only takes a Villa or a Spurs to step up and we have a 'Top 6' and the league even more open.
Will Abramovich be so happy if Chelsea only qualify for the UEFA cup or will Liverpools Yanks be able to afford not qualifying for the Champions League ?
Interesting times ahead in the Premiership now.

woodman2
09-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Taksin injected a lot off money into City last season. Result nowt. Didn`t they end with an 8 nil loss.

Its not just money that makes a winning team at anything. It is a culture of winning and a history of winning.

Loosing is the same. Just look at the Geordies. Rich local guy with plenty of money to invest and the club is still a laughing stock. Has been for ever.

torrenova
09-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Got to admit that the best holiday I ever had was in Torremolinos for the 1982 World Cup. :buttsex:

That wouldn't have anything to do with England not being there mate would it ? :bigfinger

tom
09-03-2008, 03:15 PM
That wouldn't have anything to do with England not being there mate would it ? :bigfinger

I think England were drawn up in the Basque country somewhere. Still there were plenty of English birds around to clean our pipes. :wank:

torrenova
09-03-2008, 06:30 PM
I thought '82 was the year we didn't qualify ?

Bilbobaggins
09-03-2008, 06:41 PM
78 we didn't qualify....
82 we played in a weird 3 team per group second phase when we were knocked out. It meant the system was open to fixing as 2 of the 3 went on to the 1/4's.....
It was when the Germans and Austrians played out a 0-0 draw in possibly the worst ever international game.

ferocious
09-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Bryan Robson scored the then fastest world cup goal in 82' against the frogs...

zJio5ZcBLLA

old crust
09-03-2008, 07:26 PM
I enjoy watching the top teams on TV and I'm fascinated to see where the top league game will end up. Whether we like it or not a lot of our clubs are becoming the play things of foreigners holding folding. I wonder how long it will be before other foreigners start to poke their noses in. UEFA and FIFA will be seething with all the money coming in and I can see legal battles ahead when they attempt to restrict transfer and wage payments.

I've always had a soft spot for City, but their fans need to hound out the CEO who is suggesting that relegation from the Premier be stopped. Anyone thinking along those lines has no place in Football in my opinion.

Although the fans are of little importance in the top league now, there are still 'proper' football days to be had elsewhere. I enjoy going to my local conference league club. I can have a few pints before the game, turn up at 5 to 3 without a ticket, stand on a terrace, pronounce all of the players names when I'm slagging them off, and not have to take any shit from twats in high vis' jackets pretending to important. The good old days are still here, lets hope it stays that way.

Bilbobaggins
09-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I've always had a soft spot for City, but their fans need to hound out the CEO who is suggesting that relegation from the Premier be stopped. Anyone thinking along those lines has no place in Football in my opinion.

Absolutely spot on mate.
He should have been reprimanded too.
City are just starting their 7th consecutive season in the top flight, the best they have done in recent times.
Maybe he's worried that fate will befall City again sometime :huh:

tom
09-03-2008, 11:53 PM
I enjoy watching the top teams on TV and I'm fascinated to see where the top league game will end up. Whether we like it or not a lot of our clubs are becoming the play things of foreigners holding folding. I wonder how long it will be before other foreigners start to poke their noses in. UEFA and FIFA will be seething with all the money coming in and I can see legal battles ahead when they attempt to restrict transfer and wage payments.

Although the fans are of little importance in the top league now, there are still 'proper' football days to be had elsewhere. I enjoy going to my local conference league club. I can have a few pints before the game, turn up at 5 to 3 without a ticket, stand on a terrace, pronounce all of the players names when I'm slagging them off, and not have to take any shit from twats in high vis' jackets pretending to important. The good old days are still here, lets hope it stays that way.

Unfortunately, I think it's ineveitable that a European Super League will be the eventual outcome of the difference between the haves and have nots. The goings on at Newcastle and West Ham over the last few days just prove that the 2nd tier clubs just won't be able to compete with the amount of cash being thrown about.

penetrator
09-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I reckon that Robinho is gonna be a contender for the all time premiership big money flop.

tom
09-04-2008, 02:47 PM
I reckon that Robinho is gonna be a contender for the all time premiership big money flop.

He'll have to go some to beat Veron. :crazy:

Got to worry for Mark Hughes though ....... it takes a special type of manager to handle the big names (and even bigger egos) these days. Mind you, if someone gives Torres a good kicking then a top 4 finish could be up for grabs.

torrenova
09-04-2008, 03:04 PM
I think even Newcastle would acccept the sand wogs dollars at the moment

old crust
09-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Unfortunately, I think it's ineveitable that a European Super League will be the eventual outcome of the difference between the haves and have nots. The goings on at Newcastle and West Ham over the last few days just prove that the 2nd tier clubs just won't be able to compete with the amount of cash being thrown about.

I agree Tom. In the long term though the fans of the have nots (everyone but five or six clubs) will get pissed off with things and vote with their feet. I'm not even sure the big clubs fans will not get fed up with it all.

The Premiership will always need fans and if they are not careful the whole experience of going to top football will become very sterile. The only way to play against their star studded teams will be ten men behind the ball, which is not much fun for anyone.

Bilbobaggins
09-04-2008, 11:30 PM
you can never win that cup too many times dancing
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/cmtltd/untitled2.jpg

Only just seen that Reg..........so why is it in Blue??????????:faint:

butterflyblonde
09-05-2008, 12:18 PM
He'll have to go some to beat Veron. :crazy:

And don't forget that brazilian they signed around the same time.

'Not very klebberson' we used to call him.

monsterman
09-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Man city owned by incompetant businessman, then by corrupt mass murdering oriental politician , now owned by Al-Qaeda bankers .... how low can that club go .....next step run by Gordon Brrooooooob?

tom
09-05-2008, 02:31 PM
And don't forget that brazilian they signed around the same time.

You've got to admit, it's very easy to do. :clueless:

Bilbobaggins
09-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Man city owned by incompetant businessman, then by corrupt mass murdering oriental politician , now owned by Al-Qaeda bankers .... how low can that club go .....next step run by Gordon Brrooooooob?

You're a fucking cock miniman......sorry MONSTERMAN (oxymoron if I ever saw one)
You always post drivel about stuff you know FUCK ALL about.
Crawl back in your hovel you prick..........
Alternatively produce some fucking evidence to substantiate your fuckwit claims.:bigfinger2

monsterman
09-06-2008, 12:08 PM
You're a fucking cock miniman......sorry MONSTERMAN (oxymoron if I ever saw one)
You always post drivel about stuff you know FUCK ALL about.
Crawl back in your hovel you prick..........
Alternatively produce some fucking evidence to substantiate your fuckwit claims.:bigfinger2

Very sensitive these Mancunians .... no sense of humour when it comes to football teams ...Bilbo I am pulling your legs .

Thebomb
09-06-2008, 12:32 PM
..Bilbo I am pulling your legs .

out of their sockets when u catch up with him?????

Bilbobaggins
09-06-2008, 01:59 PM
no sense of humour when it comes to football teams??
I'm a City fan, says everything! :bigfinger

monsterman
09-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Yeah I guess it has been hard supporting them in the Shadow of MU's success all these tears , perhaps with the piles of PetroDollars now pouring in from the Arabs it will buy success, Like Chelsea did, not a certainty so keep your sense of humour.

PS: your legs are safe .. i am just fucking with your mind.

old crust
09-06-2008, 06:46 PM
It does'nt matter how much cash these Arabs have got, they won't reproduce the great City team of the late Sixties. When you see some of the millions that are spent on ordinary players, it makes you wonder what price Colin Bell would fetch in todays market.

Bilbobaggins
09-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Colin Bell....... Najinsky
Career ruined by a Martin Buchan tackle at Old Trafford in a derby and we never even got a free kick
O.C......... we have a saying, better than Best.

Bilbobaggins
09-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Yeah I guess it has been hard supporting them in the Shadow of MU's success all these tears , perhaps with the piles of PetroDollars now pouring in from the Arabs it will buy success, Like Chelsea did, not a certainty so keep your sense of humour.

PS: your legs are safe .. i am just fucking with your mind.

Monsterman, feel free to fuck with my mind, legs, anything, you will the one crying at the end.
Wanker.:keepyup:

old crust
09-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Colin Bell....... Najinsky
Career ruined by a Martin Buchan tackle at Old Trafford in a derby and we never even got a free kick
O.C......... we have a saying, better than Best.

I saw Bell and Best play live a few times and in my opinion he was a better player. Summerbee in his pomp was'nt far behind either. He was a real flyer down the wing, as quick as Valerie Bortsov (sp?). A hard man too, when asked who is the hardest player you have ever played against, Roy McFarland said Mike Summerbee without any doubt.

tom
09-07-2008, 09:07 AM
It does'nt matter how much cash these Arabs have got, they won't reproduce the great City team of the late Sixties. When you see some of the millions that are spent on ordinary players, it makes you wonder what price Colin Bell would fetch in todays market.

The thing that City had in common then with the "great teams" was a top manager who could get the best out of players. That said, like Ferguson at United, it took him a couple of years to impose himself on the club. I just hope City have got the patience to allow Hughes the same opportunity and to give credit to the Arabs they can take a long-term view on things. Only time will tell.

old crust
09-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Joe Mercer was a legend of a manager. Bit different in those days, his Captain on the pitch was signed from Bath City.

Bilbobaggins
09-07-2008, 11:40 AM
and he was over 30 when he went to City O.C.

old crust
09-07-2008, 12:16 PM
I remember Tony Book all to well, picked up the FA Cup against us at Wembley in '69. Fucking Neil Young (autobiography worth a read though).