PDA

View Full Version : PC problems

Bilbobaggins
06-09-2008, 09:42 PM
My computer keeps crashing and just turning off, no warning, just completely stops.
Try to start it up again and it sometimes gets to password entry, sometimes won't even bring up the sign in screen.
So fucking frustrating.
Any help appreciated, haven't loaded anything onto the pc in the last few weeks so I don't think it is that.
Don't really want to put in for repair/upgrade as I have loads of stuff on here that I don't want anyone to see!
It is 3 years old tho, maybe time to get a new one?

old crust
06-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Bill, get yourself a mac.

monsterman
06-10-2008, 05:36 PM
sounds like a hard drive problem ,

bouncer
06-10-2008, 06:24 PM
buy a new one you cheap fuck.

mack
06-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Moose, you've been banned :ban:_ :banned: from all three Technical Forums since last September...what are you doing back inside? :nono:

butterflyblonde
06-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Do you keep it in good health?

Like run the checkdisk/scandisk facility regularly, defragment the hard drive?

It could be hard drive failure but you may benefit from cleaning up files in your system, uninstalling programs you don't need using the control panel feature to safely uninstall them.

You may also be lacking RAM space by having too many programs open at one time.

Do you have system restore on your comp? Backup your files to disks then use that.

If you have any error messages, can you write them down and print them here, easier to look at the problem with that info.

Fork Handles
06-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Bilbo, mine was doing the same thing.

When it was running I saved everything I could, then put in a new HD. Pain in the arse, but ultimately I'm better off.

roamer
06-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Do you keep it in good health?

Like run the checkdisk/scandisk facility regularly, defragment the hard drive?

No problems with mine(other than operator error:whistling:) but what does that
mean,how do you do it?
Make it simple please.
:cheers:

butterflyblonde
06-10-2008, 09:35 PM
No problems with mine(other than operator error:whistling:) but what does that
mean,how do you do it?
Make it simple please.
:cheers:

If you click start, find accessories then system tools, you will find certain tools like disk clean up, disk defragmenter etc...

Using disk clean up is a handy way to clean up unnecessary files from your computer and should be done often.

If you open 'my computer' by double clicking the desktop icon or tracing to it from the start button, you should see a list of drives.

Look for the (C:) Drive , place your mouse over it and right click, then choose properties.
In the new box that opens you should see a 'tools' tab next to general.

When you click the tools tab you should see disk defrangmenter there and 'error checking' or you might just see checkdisk, scandisk.

Use scandisk first as it is better to run this before the defrag process. You should see 'check now' so click that and in the new box tick both boxes/make sure there is a tick present for ' Automatically fix file system errors' and ' Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'.

Click start and a new box will inform you a scan can't be run while the PC is in use, you need to click 'schedule disk check' and close all boxes off. Then restart your machine and the scan will automatically run. Don't press anything, it make take quite a while if you have never run it before, but you will return to your log in screen after it has finished.

Then you can defrag by tracing to 'accessories', 'system tools' or by opening my computer again and right clicking the C drive icon, back to properties, tools again.

Just click defragment now, then the same again on the new box. Again, this process can take time, especially if you haven't been running it before. But you don't need to restart your machine for this as it runs while logged on.

Checkdisk will repair any errors and try to recover bad sectors that have occurred on your machine, fragmentation is caused by files associated with a particular program 'seperating or fragmenting' on your hard disk, so this process puts the files close together, this in turn will make your PC run more efficiently.

Bilbobaggins
06-10-2008, 09:57 PM
buy a new one you cheap fuck.

Get fucked wankface :upyours:

Bilbobaggins
06-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Bill, get yourself a mac.

No, I am normal.

roamer
06-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks bb
You`d make a good teacher.
Had no problem following your instructions,
did as you suggested.
Took some time as you warned but all done.

mack
06-11-2008, 07:12 PM
If you click start, find accessories then system tools, you will find certain tools like disk clean up, disk defragmenter etc...

Using disk clean up is a handy way to clean up unnecessary files from your computer and should be done often.

If you open 'my computer' by double clicking the desktop icon or tracing to it from the start button, you should see a list of drives.

Look for the (C:) Drive , place your mouse over it and right click, then choose properties.
In the new box that opens you should see a 'tools' tab next to general.

When you click the tools tab you should see disk defrangmenter there and 'error checking' or you might just see checkdisk, scandisk.

Use scandisk first as it is better to run this before the defrag process. You should see 'check now' so click that and in the new box tick both boxes/make sure there is a tick present for ' Automatically fix file system errors' and ' Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'.

Click start and a new box will inform you a scan can't be run while the PC is in use, you need to click 'schedule disk check' and close all boxes off. Then restart your machine and the scan will automatically run. Don't press anything, it make take quite a while if you have never run it before, but you will return to your log in screen after it has finished.

Then you can defrag by tracing to 'accessories', 'system tools' or by opening my computer again and right clicking the C drive icon, back to properties, tools again.

Just click defragment now, then the same again on the new box. Again, this process can take time, especially if you haven't been running it before. But you don't need to restart your machine for this as it runs while logged on.

Checkdisk will repair any errors and try to recover bad sectors that have occurred on your machine, fragmentation is caused by files associated with a particular program 'seperating or fragmenting' on your hard disk, so this process puts the files close together, this in turn will make your PC run more efficiently.

That was really nice of you bb to take the time to put down how to go about cleaning up a PC, it almost makes me want to buy one just to try your instructions... _ :smilies-33413: _ :cheers:

volsfan
06-12-2008, 01:00 PM
That was really nice of you bb to take the time to put down how to go about cleaning up a PC, it almost makes me want to buy one just to try your instructions... _ :smilies-33413: _ :cheers:

Since all you do is lay around the house all day, you could drive down to the local best buy and try it on all the display models they have down there.

mack
06-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Since all you do is lay around the house all day, you could drive down to the local best buy and try it on all the display models they have down there.

You're full of good ideas volsfan! I've got my day all planned out now, thanks. :lamo: _ :gayfight:

bouncer
06-26-2008, 04:22 AM
:upyours:

Bilbobaggins
06-26-2008, 07:59 PM