PDA

View Full Version : Bye-bye Sven

mack
06-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Bye-bye Sven :bigfinger
Bangkok Post

Thaksin Shinawatra's Manchester City Football Club confirmed on Monday that manager Sven-Goran Eriksson is to leave the club after one season. He issued a gracious farewell.

His departure, one of the worst-kept secrets in football, followed a review by owner Thaksin of the club's performance last season.

City began well, and twice beat city rivals Manchester United, but their form declined badly in the second half of the season, culminating in an 8-1 defeat to Middlesbrough on the final day.

It is understood that an official approach has been made by City to Blackburn Rovers about their manager Mark Hughes.

"I have enjoyed my time at Manchester City very much indeed and in particular, I would like to thank the fans, players and staff for their amazing support over the season," said Eriksson.

"I wish the club, and everyone associated with it, much success in the coming years."

Eriksson has been strongly linked with the Mexico national team job. (dpa)

Bilbobaggins
06-02-2008, 06:23 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens this summer with City, we are perennial under-achievers.
Personally I thought Eriksson dod well considering he had only about 4 weeks to assemble his squad for the season just finished.
Though there are doubts about some of his signings Garrido (£1.5m) Caicedo (£5.2m) Bianchi (£8.5m) I don't think anyone can dispute the quality of Elano, Martin Petrov, and to a slightly lesser extent Gelson Fernandes and Vedran Corluka.
I wish Sven well wherever he ends up (something I thought I would never say after the England debacle) and I just hope my club sorts itself out in the next 2 months.

old crust
06-02-2008, 06:29 PM
I think you ought to bring Tony Book back.

tom
06-02-2008, 06:44 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens this summer with City, we are perennial under-achievers.
Personally I thought Eriksson dod well considering he had only about 4 weeks to assemble his squad for the season just finished.
Though there are doubts about some of his signings Garrido (£1.5m) Caicedo (£5.2m) Bianchi (£8.5m) I don't think anyone can dispute the quality of Elano, Martin Petrov, and to a slightly lesser extent Gelson Fernandes and Vedran Corluka.
I wish Sven well wherever he ends up (something I thought I would never say after the England debacle) and I just hope my club sorts itself out in the next 2 months.

Sven's laughing all the way to the bank ............. again. :exit:

Reports are that you're after Mark Hughes. I think the fans would be happy with that. :couchpotato:

Bilbobaggins
06-02-2008, 07:14 PM
to be honest tom he might be the right man to bring stability to the club.
Can't knock what he has done so far in his managerial career.
At least he wouldn't suffer any primadonnas, and the fuckers wouldn't give up in a game like they did at boro

gonzo
06-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Reports are that you're after Mark Hughes. I think the fans would be happy with that. :couchpotato:I reckon it'd be a bad move for Hughes though, can't see it doing him any favours career-wise, he's halfway through a long-term plan at Blackburn and is just starting to see results now. I suppose it's whether he wants a big pay-rise or is just using it to raise his profile with an eye on the Chelski vacancy.

Bilbobaggins
06-02-2008, 08:18 PM
£3m a year he is being offered.
I still think Sven should have been given another year after having the full summer to build his squad.

Bilbobaggins
06-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Looks doomed, just heard on Sky Sports News that Chelsea are in for Mark Hughes too.
Only one place he will go now.

monsterman
06-02-2008, 10:24 PM
No sensible manager will be able to work with Mr Unrealistic TOXIC , they will sign on for the money only ...so Man City are doomed whatever happens whilst Taksins the owner.

tom
06-03-2008, 03:40 AM
Doomed? His cash probably stopped them being relegated.

nosehair
06-03-2008, 04:07 AM
He should of played the Thai ladz.

monsterman
06-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Doomed? His cash probably stopped them being relegated.

Doomed to mediocrity .. because Taksin has no team building patience and will interfere .

tom
06-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Doomed to mediocrity .. because Taksin has no team building patience and will interfere .

That's pretty much conjecture at the moment. The reality is that he has pumped his cash into the club and one year on they achieved their highest ever finish in the Premier League. If they improve on that next year then things are moving in the right direction. It's an unfortunate situation but Premier League mediocrity is a vast improvement on their recent history.

Bilbobaggins
06-03-2008, 05:51 PM
EQUAL highest ever finish.
The very 1st year of the Premier League City finished 9th, Arsenal 10th and Chelsea 11th.................
How times change :whistling:

Forgot to add, the previous 2 seasons, City finished 5th, and 5th, one year above yoonitid