PDA

View Full Version : Visa Extension in Pattaya Immigration Office

soi 2
05-26-2008, 04:55 AM
I am here with a 60 day Tourist Visa. Last year I went to the Immigration Office in Jomtien and extended it for another 30 days for 1,900 baht.

I was talking to an expat last night who was telling me they don't do the 30 day extension on Tourist Visa's anymore. That I would get a one or two week extension depending on the Immigration Officer. So basically he advised me to do a Visa run to Cambodia for 2,000 baht to get another month.

Does anyone know what the current policy is ?

penetrator
05-26-2008, 05:10 AM
Dunno mate, I thought you could extend a 30 day visa on arrival by 14 days but they said only 7 days so maybe they've changed what you can and cannot do.

They have a website but I got pissed off after about 5 mins of reading through all the small print.

http://www.pattaya-immigration.org/index.php?lang=EN

soi 2
05-26-2008, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the link penetrator.

http://www.pattaya-immigration.org/visas.php?cat=tourist&lang=EN

According to the bit above. I can still get 30 days. Nice one finding the Immigration Office website. That saves me sitting in a minibus for the day !

Application for extension of tourist visa
Foreigners applying for the first time for an extension of stay are given a 30 day extension from the date of expiry of the original admission, except for citizens of Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Iran, Bangladesh, Nepal, Nigeria, Togo, and Uganda, whose application for extension of stay will not be approved and the applicants are ordered to leave the kingdom within seven days.

penetrator
05-26-2008, 05:30 AM
You can even print out an application form from the website, saves you having to fill it in down there among smelly krauts and arabs. I got told to come back next day n'all.

Fork Handles
05-26-2008, 08:17 AM
except for citizens of Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Iran, Bangladesh, Nepal, Nigeria, Togo, Sweatyland and Uganda, [/I]

Better read that fine print.....:sleighride:

soi 2
05-26-2008, 12:10 PM
:scotsflag: :hoho: Sweatyland !

Kin'ell I was sweating today air conditioning wouldn't go below 28 (82). Ended up moving looms. :sweatdrop:

monsterman
05-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Be prepared to get disappointed as its up to the officer on duty wether u get 7 ,14 or 30 days .they are not consistant,

gonzo
05-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Are you sure those rules are current? I was reading something on the hull consulate site the other day that had a big notice advising that extentions are no longer automatically granted but are at the discretion of the immigration officer and to make sure you have the correct visa before travelling.

soi 2
05-27-2008, 07:21 AM
Are you sure those rules are current? I was reading something on the hull consulate site the other day that had a big notice advising that extentions are no longer automatically granted but are at the discretion of the immigration officer and to make sure you have the correct visa before travelling.

The guy I was talking to had a Non Immigrant O Visa. He was saying they don't do extensions on that anymore and every 90 days you do a visa run now. Whereas before I think you could extend it for 30 days at the end of 90 ?

I don't have the 30 day visa on arrival but the 60 day tourist visa. Again this guy was saying, like monsterman that you're not guaranteed to get 30 days anymore. He was adamant that 14 days was all they'd give you know.

gonzo
05-27-2008, 10:17 AM
The guy I was talking to had a Non Immigrant O Visa. He was saying they don't do extensions on that anymore and every 90 days you do a visa run now. Whereas before I think you could extend it for 30 days at the end of 90 ?

I don't have the 30 day visa on arrival but the 60 day tourist visa. Again this guy was saying, like monsterman that you're not guaranteed to get 30 days anymore. He was adamant that 14 days was all they'd give you know.

As it's only 500 more to do a visa run and guarantee the 30 days it might be worth doing it anyway mate. I used to do mine with 1st class through the wetherspoons pub on bukhao and can definitely recommend them.

penetrator
05-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Someone should start up a visa run and visit to short time bar in Cambodia all rolled into 1.

soi 2
06-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Went into 1st Class Visa Runs today in Wetherspoons pub in soi buakhao. Took my passport, was advised I'd get 30 day extension no problem at Immigration.

torrenova
06-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Yes but don't leave it until the last day. They will do the extension from the last day even if you hanb it in before. Bt1900.

soi 2
06-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks Torrenova, thats useful to know.

torrenova
06-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Also don't worry about this "come back tomorrow at 2pm" bollocks. You go back when you want. Obviously better before your original visa expires but I've never known any problems.

soi 2
06-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Torrenova, when Immigration was at soi 9 I remember getting a ticket and going back the next day. But certainly last year in Jomtien they did the extension on my visa right there and then - took 15 mins and I was out the door.

torrenova
06-07-2008, 09:07 PM
I did a resident thingy at Soi 5, had a ticket and went back in a couple of days. Never go on MOnday morning as it is hell.

volsfan
06-08-2008, 07:57 AM
I think to get the 7 day extension on the 30 day entry stamp you have to show proof of onward travel at immigration now. not sure if that applies to the tourist visa or not.

soi 2
06-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Interesting point Volsfan. I'll take my travel documents just in case. Hope the leg is feeling a bit better.

torrenova
06-08-2008, 06:22 PM
There is a quirk in the tourist visa which is actually for 90 days but you only get 60 and have to apply for the other 30. At least that is the consensus on Thai Visa and I've never heard anyone get knocked back for it.

The 7 day thing is like when you lose your work permit, you have 7 days. It is when you are out of visa you can now get only 7 days. Sort of like an emergency relief.

soi 2
06-09-2008, 09:52 AM
There is a quirk in the tourist visa which is actually for 90 days but you only get 60 and have to apply for the other 30. At least that is the consensus on Thai Visa and I've never heard anyone get knocked back for it.

Thats the 60 day visa I have then apply for another 30 days when I'm here. It was someone I got talking to who was telling me you might not get 30 days this time and I'd be better off doing a visa run. 1st Class Visa Runs advised me that I would get 30 days no problem. So that's good enough for me.

soi 2
06-12-2008, 05:51 AM
Got the 30 day extension no problem. Wasn't asked for proof of onward travel.

Really quick these days at Jomtien. Left soi lk metro at 9am and walking back down it again at 9.45 everything done and dusted.

mack
06-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Good to hear you had no problems soi 2, you don't need any problems in that area on your holiday. :cheers:

soi 2
06-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks mack, I'm just glad I didn't have to do a visa run and waste a day of my holiday.