PDA

View Full Version : too long to connect..why?

monsterman
02-18-2008, 03:33 AM
when I got my Acer laptop it would connect to wifi in less than 2 minutes at most.......now it takes 15 minutes even with very strong local wifi...why ? what can I do to get it connecting as before.

mack
02-18-2008, 04:41 AM
It's just your reflexes slowing down monster :jason: nothing you can do about it... :tiphat2:

monsterman
02-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Mack ..helpful as always, next time your on fire and screaming for help, i wont piss on you but stand around making stupid comments.

I have taken the machine to ACER and Linksys and both are OK so its a Vista/Intel driver issue , problem is all the new intel 3945 drivers make problem worse and i cant roll back to a good one and cant find earlier versions on the net ,

gonzo
02-18-2008, 02:10 PM
I was going to chip in with a few suggestions to get to the root of the problem but then saw this
Mack ..helpful as always, next time your on fire and screaming for help, i wont piss on you but stand around making stupid comments
and now I'm just trying to think of a stupid enough comment to add instead.

mack
02-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Gonzo, give monster :jason: some help, I was just stalling him until a tech expert like you or jonny :nerd: came along...:whistling:

bkp
02-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Mack ..helpful as always, next time your on fire and screaming for help, i wont piss on you but stand around making stupid comments.

I have taken the machine to ACER and Linksys and both are OK so its a Vista/Intel driver issue , problem is all the new intel 3945 drivers make problem worse and i cant roll back to a good one and cant find earlier versions on the net ,

Can you somehow uninstall or just over ride Vista with Windows XP? Not heard much good about Vista in comparison to XP. :whiteflag:

monsterman
02-18-2008, 04:03 PM
that seems the only option that Acer.Linksys and Intel can offer!!!

its absurd every time I switch on this laptop it takes 10 minutes to detect my home network and some wireless networks but not all , my desktop is instant .

monsterman
02-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Acer also say that if I put XP on instead of vista my warranty will be invalid ,

seems other makes have the same problem its due to intel and Microsoft driver problem the solution is to get older drivers for the wireless adapter but I cant get them anywhere.

gonzo
02-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Is it just slow connecting or does your connection drop out after a while too?

Is the problem just on start-up of the machine or does it happen all the time, i.e. when the machine has been running a while already?

mack
02-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Now you'll get somewhere monster :jason: we have a technician in the house. :cheers:

Capt Magoo
02-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Acer also say that if I put XP on instead of vista my warranty will be invalid ,

seems other makes have the same problem its due to intel and Microsoft driver problem the solution is to get older drivers for the wireless adapter but I cant get them anywhere.

try looking at http://www.windrivers.com/

Hope this helps

Magoo

roamer
02-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Can you somehow uninstall or just over ride Vista with Windows XP? Not heard much good about Vista in comparison to XP. :whiteflag:

No techie me but so glad that I listened to advice here and also from
a knowledgeable computer guy to choose XP over Vista.
Took a bit of finding but bought a Acer with XP Pro installed late last year,seems to detect and connect to local wi-fi in about a minute.

Had no problems with the laptop at all,just as well coz I wouldn`t have a clue what to do if it went wrong.

Now I`ve written that I guess my machine will crash.

monsterman
02-19-2008, 03:02 AM
Gonzo,, from boot up it takes 10 minutes to detect wifi networks and sometimes drops out later but it is the slow connect at statup that pisses me off ,, once connected it runs fast.

gonzo
02-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Gonzo,, from boot up it takes 10 minutes to detect wifi networks and sometimes drops out later but it is the slow connect at statup that pisses me off ,, once connected it runs fast.Right, not sure if any of this will sort it but it certainly won't make things any worse.

First off, if the problem is only occuring at boot-up you need to look at what else is running. Unless you're careful with installs or regularly 'clean' your machine then chances are you've got all sorts of apps in your start-up file that you realy don't need to open every time you turn on the machine. This is the number 1 cause of delays when booting up and is easily fixed. Just follow the instructions here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?page_id=131&page=22 (it's part of a very useful set of tips and tweaks for Vista which you may want to take a look at).

There's also a known issue with power saving settings on laptops screwing up wifi connections which is why I asked if yours was dropping out once it eventally connected. Go to Control Panel->System->Hardware Tab->Device Manager. Select Intel Pro under Network Adapters. Right Click and Select Properties. Under Advanced tab, there is a setting for Power Management. There should be a slider with Max Battery on one end and Max performance on the other. You have to set it to Max Performance.

monsterman
02-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Gonzo the power managment was set not to turn of wireless on this unit and I notice now that wireless connects on boot up but then disconnects for 10 minutes ,then it comes back and is OK , there are minimal programs running on startup so its a mystery to me.

gonzo
02-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Gonzo the power managment was set not to turn of wireless on this unitDid you set the power management for the wireless to max performance? You need to do that as well as selecting the option not to turn it off (crazy I know but that tab is worthless in terms of fixing the problem).

monsterman
02-20-2008, 03:03 AM
There is no max performance option or advance tab ,,its on or off only on Device drivers ,Networking /wireless option in Vista.

gonzo
02-20-2008, 05:48 AM
There is no max performance option or advance tab ,,its on or off only on Device drivers ,Networking /wireless option in Vista.You're right, like an idiot I'm giving you XP instructions :dunce:

I'll have another look tonight and see what I can come up with.

monsterman
02-20-2008, 04:07 PM
I will keep tweaking ..but fanks for all advice.

monsterman
02-21-2008, 04:59 AM
Last night and this morning it connected in 2 minutes but at lunchtime it took 15 minutes ...but nothing has been changed ..I am confused

monsterman
02-21-2008, 05:57 AM
I appear to have solved the problem by turning off Windows Firewall now connection starts immediately on boot up ,,

BUT now no firewall!!!!!!! should I use Zone Alarm?

monsterman
02-21-2008, 06:51 AM
Alas Zone Alarm no available for Vista ... any alternatives or ways of modifying Vista firewall ?

I now have no Firewall.!!!!!!!!!

gonzo
02-21-2008, 07:02 AM
Alas Zone Alarm no available for Vista ... any alternatives or ways of modifying Vista firewall ?

I now have no Firewall.!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't sweat overly about not having a firewall, they're hardly an essential. Likewise not having zonealarm for vista is hardly a problem as zonealarm tends to cause more problems than it solves in my experience.

Just go to downloads.com select vista as the operating system and search on firewalls. List the results by user reviews and see whats recommended.

monsterman
02-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Damn ... no firewall and it is now taking 15 minutes to connect again,, fucking vista its gotta be .
think i will smash up this sodding machine.

gonzo
02-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Damn ... no firewall and it is now taking 15 minutes to connect again,, fucking vista its gotta be .
think i will smash up this sodding machine.

Can't really understand where the problem is coming from as i have the same intel wifi thing on my laptop and I don't have a problem with it. As for Vista once I'd cleared the initial teething problems with it I don't have any issues. Its a far better operating system than XP in many different ways although it is very resource-hungry.

monsterman
02-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Ok it running again , the window firewall is the main problem but I think its shut down properly now but when vista gets updates it messes all the wifi setting s.

ACER and linksys tell me the vista firewall is a big issue for them with wifi problems. ACER no longer endorse Vista.bujt they are stuck with it like millions of consumers.

monsterman
02-23-2008, 05:09 AM
Ok ..progress I have spent hours going through window firewall and allowing and disabling advanced exception until the wireless now connects on bootup in 90 second with firewall enabled.

thats good but windows firewall is not as good at protecting the computer as say Zone Alarm or some others but I have downloaded 5 other Firewalls in the last 3 days , nonbe work with vista at all except Commodo but is very complex.

when a better simple Firewall is available or Windows Firewall is updated I will go for it.

The other problem is that windows firewall in vista is almost impossible to delete or switch off permanently.without going deep into the registry ..damn Microsoft...

mack
02-23-2008, 05:19 AM
______________________________:smilies-33413::smilies-33413::smilies-33413:

monsterman
02-23-2008, 10:12 AM
______________________________:smilies-33413::smilies-33413::smilies-33413:

so'' Mac OFF then'':bigfinger