PDA

View Full Version : 2 widows laptops for the price of 1 Mac

monsterman
11-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Went in the Apple shop yesterday The cheapest a Core Duo Macbook can be bought for in pattaya is 48,750 baht , i looked at the spec and you can buy 2 ACER window vista laptops of similar spec for same money.

What a ripoff ! the cost of parts is about the same so the Apple operating syatem is worth 23,000 baht ....yeah right!!! Macs are good but not THAT good.

mack
11-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Not sure what the last part of your post said monster, the automatic "bullshit detector' on my MacBook deleted it. :bigfinger

tom
11-25-2007, 04:25 PM
I think its a bit like flying biz class. Whilst you are flying economy you have the opinion that you can get two economy tickets for the price of a biz class ticket and therefore the extra isn't worth it. The trouble is that once you fly biz class one time it is fuckin' difficult to go back to flying economy. Same, same with the Mac ..... it's making the move in the first place that's difficult but once you have you probably won't go back to Windows and bugger the extra cost. :monkeybutt:

Anyway, last Thursday I finally made the move to an iMac ........ cost 90,000 Baht and I must admit the difference with Windows is mind boggling. :guitar4: It makes you wonder why Microsoft can't achieve the same standards.

Mac Set-Up Instructions.

1. Remove Packaging.
2. Plug mouse and keyboard into USB ports.
3. Plug one end of the power socket into the Mac, the other into the power supply.
4. Press the ON button.

Done.

old crust
11-25-2007, 04:41 PM
operating syatem is worth 23,000 baht ....yeah right!!! Macs are good but not THAT good.

JMHO, worth a lot more.

gonzo
11-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Mac Set-Up Instructions.

1. Remove Packaging.
2. Plug mouse and keyboard into USB ports.
3. Plug one end of the power socket into the Mac, the other into the power supply.
4. Press the ON button.

Done.The main reason for the simplicity (and hence lack of flexibility, software compatibility issues, reduced performance etc) is that for the average Mac user anything more complicated and their brains would melt.

mack
11-25-2007, 09:02 PM
The main reason for the simplicity (and hence lack of flexibility, software compatibility issues, reduced performance etc) is that for the average Mac user anything more complicated and their brains would melt.

From your tone there gonzo I'm guessing you're back at work hmmmm? :coderpunch: ___ :thumbsup:

gonzo
11-25-2007, 09:19 PM
From your tone there gonzo I'm guessing you're back at work hmmmm? :coderpunch: ___ :thumbsup:Yeah but not for long 26 days :thumbsup:

jonny
11-25-2007, 09:43 PM
I think tom is spot on. If you are a windows user it seems silly but once you buy your first mac you'll never go back!

Luckily I've never flown business class yet.......!!!

tom how are you finding leopard??

tom
11-25-2007, 10:20 PM
I think tom is spot on. If you are a windows user it seems silly but once you buy your first mac you'll never go back!

Luckily I've never flown business class yet.......!!!

tom how are you finding leopard??

Jonny,

I never used any of the previous Mac OS so I don't really have much of a clue what's new and what isn't. The hardest thing I've found is that it actually does what you want to do with the minimum number of actions rather than having to find a way around Windows to achieve the same result.

I'm much more into graphics than gaming and can understand why gamers would want to stick to Windows but I'm pretty sure that once I get used to the Mac it'll cut out a lot of the hassles that I found in Windows. Although the machine cost a fair bit I try to look at it that I also picked up copies of Photoshop CS3 and Office 94 for the equivalent of a couple of quid so it balances things out a bit.

monsterman
11-26-2007, 02:21 AM
I actually agree that MAC OS is best but it is not twice as much money best.

Fork Handles
11-26-2007, 06:20 AM
:malletfight:Cunt...ripping off those poor old widows. ::

mack
11-26-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm much more into graphics than gaming

From things I've read many of the people into graphics and artistic things use Macs. Did you do the Bowie Aladdin Sane picture switch with your new Mac? Was it easier or better working on it vs the graphic work you did on other pics like Hilly A'hoy etc. with your old PC? :cheers:

Chuck_Wao
11-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Sorry for being thick but I thought that Macs and PCs ran on the same chips nowadays (or were due to) so you could run windows on a Mac and Mac on a Windows ,if you know what I mean! If that was/is/will be true then a duel boot with both systems would be ideal esecially for a laptop IMO.

tom
11-26-2007, 02:33 PM
From things I've read many of the people into graphics and artistic things use Macs. Did you do the Bowie Aladdin Sane picture switch with your new Mac? Was it easier or better working on it vs the graphic work you did on other pics like Hilly A'hoy etc. with your old PC? :cheers:

I done the Aladdin Sane thing a while back ......... I just used a morph program to blend the two faces. The best purchase I made as far as graphics is concerned was forking out on an A4 Wacom tablet. I bought a copy of Adobe CS3 in Panthip but haven't got round to loading it yet as I am still in BKK so I've not tried out the graphics side but I'm assured that the Mac makes all the difference when handling larger files. My camera is a 10 megapixels Panasonic so the photoshop files can be enormous and my laptop just struggled to handle editing them.

torrenova
11-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Jonny,

I never used any of the previous Mac OS so I don't really have much of a clue what's new and what isn't. The hardest thing I've found is that it actually does what you want to do with the minimum number of actions rather than having to find a way around Windows to achieve the same result.

I'm much more into graphics than gaming and can understand why gamers would want to stick to Windows but I'm pretty sure that once I get used to the Mac it'll cut out a lot of the hassles that I found in Windows. Although the machine cost a fair bit I try to look at it that I also picked up copies of Photoshop CS3 and Office 94 for the equivalent of a couple of quid so it balances things out a bit.

Office 94 ? Is that as far as the mac brigade have gotten to these days ?

You lot do know its nearly 2008 don't you ?

jonny
11-26-2007, 10:01 PM
I think there is a 2008 office version about to come out torrenova but the 94 version is as good as any recent windows office version........well it does everything you need it to do anyway? I've got it on my mac and in 12 months I've not even opened it! Thats how much you need it!

Tom the graphics packages are good. When i used them on my windows machine i would usually have a few things open and it would just go slow and annoy me. The CS3 is great it just works like everything else really well. You'll have to learn a few shortcuts but basically instead of pressing ctrl plus shortcut key on a mac its the apple key and the same shortcut key. Then once you've got to grips with things like fn + F9 etc it starts to get really good. I'll never forget when the guy showed me mac osx for the first time the first thing he showed me was quiting apps. He opened up safari and by using apple + N opened up over 50 windows straight after each other in about 10 seconds. Then he said this is how you quit a prgram, he hit another shortcut key clicked his fingers and in the same time he had clicked his fingers all 50 windows were closed. No lag. no hanging. no thinking time just done and to prove it he opened up safari again straight away and did another 50 windows and quit them straight away.

btw chuck wao you can run windows natively on a mac no problem. I have mine dual booted and run my trading software on xp. It actually comes out of the box configured to run windows all you have to do is insert the windows disc. Apple knows its operating system is so much better than windows so are quite happy to let you run both. I've yet to see a windows system that lets you run mac osx......................

tom
11-27-2007, 05:02 AM
Sorry ......... meant Office 2004 for Mac. They had 2008 at Panthip but the folk I use there said it was it was still a Beta version.

Taltos
11-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Do you not have to reboot if you want to use Windows?

jonny
11-28-2007, 08:24 AM
there are a few different ways round it but to use it natively you have to reboot. I think I said in my post I have mine dual booted? Just means I have to restart.

I also have parallels running which is a program that you can run windows in through mac OSX. I use it sometimes but it means that it splits everything 50 50 between the 2 operating systems ie ram/graphics card etc etc

mack
11-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Jonny then you haven't gotten the OS X Leopard? Weren't you thinking about buying it? (I didn't).

jonny
11-28-2007, 07:07 PM
yes i think I will do eventually but to be honest I'm happy with what mine currently does! I'll get it around christmas probably