PDA

View Full Version : Big fight

ferocious
10-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Big fight next weekend in cardiff wales , joe calzaghe(43-0) V's mikkel kessler(39-0) for the WBO/WBA/WBC super-middleweight championships ...! don't know much about kessler but i'm going for calzaghe stoppage around 8...... as soon as i contacted gonzo to tell him i'm in cardiff for the fight & we could meet for a drink the cunt booked a flight to LOS the day before i arrive

xde78jJt53g

mack
10-28-2007, 12:06 PM
It'll be easy telling them apart with Kessler's tats that for sure. Full report I hope ferocious? Is bomber going with you?

gonzo
10-28-2007, 12:08 PM
as soon as i contacted gonzo to tell him i'm in cardiff for the fight & we could meet for a drink the cunt booked a flight to LOS the day before i arriveBlame the monks in Na Wa mate as they chose the date for my friends wedding. Have a good 'un in Cardiff anyway :cheers:

Thebomb
10-28-2007, 12:11 PM
cant wait for this one....defo the biggest fight out there for joe,and expect him to win even though ive never seen kessler box.joes work-rate will bring him through and wear kessler down.im goin onto youtube to get a better look at kessler before i give a prediction

ferocious
10-28-2007, 12:19 PM
it doesn't start till 0100 so the americans can watch on HBO so no doubt i'll be that pissed i'll not remember the fight , i'm ringside so i'll take me camera

Elvis
10-28-2007, 12:26 PM
how much did you pay for ringside ferocious :supporter2:

ferocious
10-28-2007, 12:33 PM
how much did you pay for ringside ferocious :supporter2:

£350:scared:

Elvis
10-28-2007, 12:35 PM
have a good one look after the bomb :thumbsup:

Thebomb
10-28-2007, 12:37 PM
just had a wee look at kessler on youtube....looks a bit up-right and static to me...not a bad jab and his back hand looks fairly solid too,but like i said he's a bit flat footed and when joe starts throwin his combinations kesslers not gonna be quick enough to avoid em....so im backin calzaghe for a late stoppage,overwhelmin kessler and havin him on the ropes shippin a few

ferocious
10-28-2007, 12:38 PM
yeah i think calzaghe will be too busy for him

Thebomb
10-28-2007, 12:39 PM
have a good one look after the bomb :thumbsup:

im not goin.....ill be watchin it from the comfort of my armchair!!!....just as good a ringside only cheaper and quieter

ROLAND
10-28-2007, 03:01 PM
im not goin.....ill be watchin it from the comfort of my armchair!!!....just as good a ringside only cheaper and quieter

On Setanta Bomb not SKY or ITV, I think Calzaghe will win , Enzo looks to have a pushover on the bill and I think Gavin Rees defending his title too.

monsterman
10-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Where will it be screened in Pattaya , i love watchin Joe fight he is agod among minnows in the ring

ferocious
10-28-2007, 05:33 PM
it should be on in the sportsman soi13 jerry 8am pattaya time

monsterman
11-01-2007, 02:37 AM
It Is Being Shown Live On Thai Tv Channel 7 .

ferocious
11-01-2007, 08:19 AM
good HBO feature on calzaghe
E4oONUUnIp0

ferocious
11-01-2007, 08:48 AM
clips of them in action
j_XMZLt8cjM

ROLAND
11-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Shit undercard F

ferocious
11-01-2007, 03:12 PM
yep ... i'll watch macaranelli as he's usually exciting to watch , frank warren knew he never needed an undercard to sell this fight & he's hoping for the world record attendance for an indoor fight 65,000+

penetrator
11-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Apparently Kessler is half English, even more reason for the Colonel Gaddafis to cheer against him.

ferocious
11-02-2007, 06:55 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/cmtltd/calzaghe.jpg

Mikkel Kessler was forced to strip naked to make the 12-stone super-middleweight limit today as the tension ahead of Saturday's super fight with Joe Calzaghe was ratcheted up another notch or two.

In front of around 400 fans at the St Davids Centre in Cardiff, Kessler and Calzaghe then held each other's gaze in a long stare-down that almost crackled with bad intentions.

Kessler's manager Mike Marley, an exaggerated character by even boxing's crazy standards, then theatrically drew his finger across his throat in front of Calzaghe.

The meaning was clear, even if it was made more in jest than malice.

Having been around as long ago as Muhammad Ali's second fight with Sonny Liston, Marley should really have known better, and things momentarily threatened to get out of hand as the crowd boisterously booed him like a pantomime baddy.

Enzo Calzaghe took exception to Marley's antics, and the two had a heated exchange of verbals before being finally pulled apart by officials from the Board of Control.

It was a decent appetiser ahead of Saturday night's clash at the Millennium Stadium, but nothing like the main course.

Earlier Marley had been required to take off his overcoat in order to shield Kessler's modesty as he failed to make the 12-stone limit at the first time of asking.

Without his underwear, WBA/WBC super-middleweight champion Kessler was bang on 12 stone having previouusly been two ounces over.

The reaction of his camp to the news that he had made 12 stopne suggested he had been tight at the weight, although it was Calzaghe who looked the more drained.

Given his well-documented struggle to reach 168 pounds, Calzaghe somewhat surprisingly touched in at 11 stone 12 pounds and seven ounes, his ribs, as usual, clearly visible.

Again, he looked the more relaxed, happily posing for photographs before saluting the noisy crowd who had gathered to watch proceedings.

Kessler was more subdued, especially in the build up, but he held Calzaghe's stare as the pair locked foreheads for the photographers, and responded well when the Welshman began wriggling his shoulders as if to throw a punch.

Both nodded at each other knowingly as they exchanged a final glance.

The general consensus among the press is that Kessler is beginning to feel the heat, but as Marley pointed out, there is a difference between feeling nervous and feeling afraid.

Every sportsman, Calzaghe included, gets struck by nerves at some point in the build up to a big contest - it's only when those nerves turn to fear that they have a problem.

Kessler seems to be holding up pretty well under the onslaught, and although Calzaghe may be edging things, it's not by much.

And there's an argument that perhaps Calzaghe is too relaxed, although he is probably just hiding it better.

For years the WBO super-middleweight champion has been of the opinion that he needs to fight the best to bring out the best in himself.

There can be little doubt that in Kessler, he has the kind of opponent who is capable of pushing him to the very limits of his capabilities. Just how far will be answered on Saturday night.

* In the chief support, Enzo Maccarinelli weighed in at just over 14'1 ahead of the fourth defence of his WBO cruiserweight title. Challenger Mohamed Azzaoui was an ounce lighter

jonny
11-02-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm more interested as to why his underwear weighs 2 pounds?????

ferocious
11-02-2007, 07:29 PM

shit himself already

gonzo
11-02-2007, 07:38 PM
I was trying to talk some of the lads into an early start for the stag do by kicking it off watching the fight but the cheeky bastard groom claimed that watching Welsh people fighting had lost its novelty since they've known me. My character has been sullied.

jonny
11-02-2007, 07:59 PM
is it on sky or itv??? Anyone know?

ferocious
11-02-2007, 08:01 PM
setanta and main event is 1am

jonny
11-02-2007, 08:09 PM
gutted....us paupers will miss it

ROLAND
11-02-2007, 08:16 PM
gutted....us paupers will miss it

U get Setanta free if you're on Virgin.

I was talking to a bloke on the train this morning on the way to Cardiff and he was off to set up the big screen above the ring.
I told him if he saw you F to wave :thumbsup:

ferocious
11-02-2007, 08:20 PM
can't wait for it now , the more i see of kessler the more i think calzaghe will beat him ! up at 0430 for my flight to cardiff & gonzo has give me a pointer to the massage joints:dance:

mack
11-02-2007, 09:11 PM

Why is no one here surprised you're interested in his underwear? :gay:

is it on sky or itv??? Anyone know?

Calm down, they're not going to replay the weigh in jonny. :gay:

jonny
11-02-2007, 09:27 PM
is it on youtube mack?

mack
11-02-2007, 09:36 PM
is it on youtube mack?

No it's not jonny, you'll just have to imagine in your mind the part where Kessler stripped. :flasher:

jonny
11-02-2007, 09:37 PM
that took about 60 seconds

monsterman
11-04-2007, 01:40 AM
bsatard Thais are not broadcasting it now as they did not pay the fee , so there is some shit Thai soap on ,,, fuck , fuck fuck!

BigBadSi
11-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Calzaghe Wins Kessler's WBC, WBA Crowns
By ROBERT MILLWARD – 3 hours ago

CARDIFF, Wales (AP) — Undefeated Joe Calzaghe added Mikkel Kessler's WBA and WBC super-middleweight titles to his own WBO crown early Sunday, unanimously outpointing the previously undefeated Dane.

The 35-year-old Welshman shook off the Dane's powerful right hands and finished strongly for his 44th victory in a row and 21st defense of the WBO title in 10 years.

"To win the four major title belts, to be the unbeaten champion and 10 years a champion it's just amazing and I'm so proud," said Calzaghe, who said it could well be his final fight at 168 pounds before he finishes his career as a light-heavyweight.

"An extra seven pounds at this stage in my career — 10 years a champion, four major belts — what else is there to do? Dig all those guys up — Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins, come on let's do it.

"I think I've shown them in the States what I'm all about. I'm looking at fighting for another 12 months and I want to fight the big fights and hopefully this will set this up for the big fight and Hopkins will come out of hiding."

Calzaghe closed with three standout rounds at the Millennium Stadium to unify the three titles in front of 35,000 of his fans.

After both fighters traded big shots and combinations in all 12 rounds, the three judges gave the decision to Calzaghe. Raul Caiz scored it 117-111, fellow American John Stewart had it 116-112 and Massimo Barrovecchio of Italy scored it 116-112.

Kessler dropped to 39-1 and said he wasn't sure of his next move after losing for the first time.

"I haven't thought about it. He just crushed my dreams," the Dane said.

"I hit him with some clean shuts but I should have punched more combinations, not trying to punch hard with the right hand. When I put him under pressure I thought I would be OK. But he has such a good chin. I have got to give him that."

With combined records of 82 victories, something had to give and both fighters refused to let each other take control amid deafening roars from the fans at the Millennium Stadium, a rugby ground which had the roof closed.

The left-handed Calzaghe connected with his trademark overhand left in the second round, but Kessler — seven years younger and with a punishing jab — got through with a right uppercut that pushed the Welshman back onto the ropes.

Kessler's fans chanting his name between rounds but Calzaghe's followers silenced them as he came back in the third.

As if stung by that right hand, Calzaghe charged at Kessler at the start of the third, spinning him down with a combination that ended with the Dane on the floor. Referee Mike Ortega ruled a slip, but it gave Calzaghe confidence. He varied his punches to the head and body and even taunted the Dane with a short dance of celebration as he got through with his left hands. That prompted his fans to sing to the Danish followers "You're not singing any more."

The two fighters traded fast combinations, which ended with Kessler getting home with a right uppercut that shook Calzaghe and he landed another later in the round to quiet the local man's followers.

Kessler got through with some more left jabs and rocked Calzaghe with two right hands in the seventh. But the Welshman, showing that his 35 years were not catching up with him, came back with some strong combinations that pushed Kessler around the ring.

The two fighters continued to trade punches but it was the younger Kessler who looked more tired at the end of each of the last three rounds and Calzaghe threw far more punches.

On the undercard, Enzo Maccarinelli stopped New Zealand-based challenger Mohammed Azzaoui less than a minute into the fourth round to retain the WBO cruiserweight title. The Welshman improved to 28-1, while Azzaoui dropped to 22-1-2.

ROLAND
11-04-2007, 09:45 AM
It was a cracking punch up

BigBadSi
11-04-2007, 09:46 AM
i dont av setanta hopefully some highlights will emerge

mack
11-04-2007, 11:44 AM
He's been fighting as a pro for 14 years, he must be tough as nails. Time to get out or will he look for a couple more big paydays? Is there anybody out there now who would make a big match with him? I don't follow the sport :boxing: much anymore, just mostly through the fans here on the board. Looking forward to ferocious' report and maybe pics. :cheers:

mack
11-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Setanta if cooked properly would go down great with some beer Winston. Remember you heard it here first. :canadian:

ferocious
11-04-2007, 04:54 PM
just got back , great fight & kessler was better than everbody expected ...
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/cmtltd/Picture088.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/cmtltd/Picture089-1.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/cmtltd/Picture090-1.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/cmtltd/Picture092-1.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/cmtltd/Picture097.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/cmtltd/Picture096-1.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/cmtltd/Picture099.jpg

gonzo
11-04-2007, 05:43 PM
bsatard Thais are not broadcasting it now as they did not pay the fee , so there is some shit Thai soap on ,,, fuck , fuck fuck!You've just made my day monster, been kicking myself all day for remembering to set my alarm but forgetting to change the clock to thai time first. My 'wake up call' went off at 2pm :dickhead:

old crust
11-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Good pictures F, I was looking out for you, but kept nodding off. JC is a great champion and appears to be a decent bloke too.