PDA

View Full Version : Transport within Thailand

BigBadSi
10-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Ive got a big trip coming up to all ends of the country and I have been exploring all options on getting to my destinations.

Rail(limited and times show very time consuming)
Car(fuck thjat not got a death wish)
Bike (same above)
Air?

Ive looked into Air travel,my options are Nok,Air Asia,Bangkok air,12go and Thai airways.

Thai Airways are very expensive but they are the only carrier to do a Chiang Mai-Krabi/Phuket direct route which means the other carriers are stop offs at either Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi.

Don Muang seems the cheaper airport to fly from and so far most my flights seem to be involving Nok Air prices as little as 600baht but that does get me wandering on safety etc.600 baht? i cant even go from BKK to Pattaya in a taxi for that.

Im also worried about reliability in respect to my bags being "misplaced" and delays.

Has anyone had domestic air travel experiences?

I would appreciate your thoughts/:egyptian:

BigBadSi
10-11-2007, 11:13 AM
same rail m8,too long

yusamile
10-11-2007, 12:06 PM
I took the train, 2nd class sleeper, me downstairs , tilak upstairs, from BKK to Chiang Mai. I liked it cause it was different and it was a night trip so you dont miss out on anything. Not a bad way to go, but go by night. About 750 P.P. from memory.
Air, your 600 bht trip probably doesn't include taxes. Bkk to Phuket, or Udon or CM average around 1300-1500 all up. If you book in advance on the net sometimes its a little cheaper. Air Asia are often late so give yourself plenty of time if you book a connecting flight. And yes Thai are way overpriced. Nok and 12Go were both OK and no dramas. Careful with 12Go though, specially into a stormy Pooket.:cold:

Guido13
10-11-2007, 01:46 PM
I used Nok Air from Don Muang to Udon Thani. The prices on the website seem extremely low until you add on all the taxes and fees. I think I paid 2650 bht round trip. The aircraft were roomy, modern and appeared well maintained.Yes it's more expesive than the train or bus, but you get there in a fraction of the time. Overall, I was well pleased with Nok and would use them again.

penetrator
10-11-2007, 04:27 PM
I've used Air Asia quite a few times and never had real problems apart from short delays.

The fact they're not a Thai airline and that the owner (Malaysian Indian) is British educated and learnt his trade working for Virgin gives them them the nod over the Thai low cost airlines for me.

Bilbobaggins
10-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Si I;ve flown Air Asia and Nok Air, apart from delays on Air Asia I would say they were the best, followed by Nok Air.
Thai are prohibitively expensive on short haul routes.
Fly mate, it gives you more time to explore!

Baggins...:cheers:

roamer
10-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I used Thai for BKK to CM,not cheap,flight delayed,baking hot inside plane waiting on tarmac.
I`d sooner take a chance with the cheaper airlines.
You don`t always get what you pay for.

BigBadSi
10-11-2007, 06:54 PM
looks like my legs will be NOK bkk to cm,NOK cm to bkk,Air asia bkk to krabi and nok phuket to bkk

mostly nok they have a decentish baggage limit also

ferocious
10-11-2007, 08:13 PM
i'm meant to be going krabi & kohn kaen in january but not sorted dates/hotels/transport out yet but i'll be flying or i won't be going

BigBadSi
10-11-2007, 08:21 PM
im all booked reg,i used sawadee.com pretty easy

ferocious
10-11-2007, 08:33 PM
im all booked reg,i used sawadee.com pretty easy

did they sort hotels & transport ???

Bilbobaggins
10-11-2007, 09:13 PM
i'm meant to be going krabi & kohn kaen in january but not sorted dates/hotels/transport out yet but i'll be flying or i won't be going

Reg I think Thai are the only ones fly direct to KK, unless it has changed very recently, alternative is to fly cheap to Udon and get the bus back.
Hotel in Khon Kaen try the Charoen Princess Thani, really nice.
Krabi is lovely for about 3 nights, but expensive for accomodation and not much of a barscene.
Enjoy

Bilbobaggins
10-11-2007, 09:14 PM
did they sort hotels & transport ???

Think they only do hotels Reg

penetrator
10-12-2007, 09:30 AM
If you've got time Si why not get the ferry from Krabi to Phi Phi and then from Phi Phi to Phuket even if it's just for 1 day. You can also get a ferry direct to Phuket from Krabi and vice versa but the lying little cunts at the Phuket ferry departure point lied to me and said mai mee (no have) so I got the bus which was fine.

tom
10-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Si,

If we had some idea of your itinerary it would be easier to give you some pointers.

A couple of general points though .........

Rail ..... it's inexpensive and the network is pretty decent. Overnight first class sleeper is the way to go if your heading up north (Chiang Mai) or down south (Surathani/Chumphon) ..... what you pay in fares you'll make up in hotel savings. It's also a great way to meet some local talent and see a bit of the countryside.

Air ..... basically down to where you're starting off from/headed to. Pattaya and Air Asia from Suvarnabhumi or Bangkok and Nok Air from Don Mueang. Some destinations (Sukhothai, Samui, Trat) you'll have no option but to go Bangkok Airways. Air Asia is currently receiving brand new A320s to replace its original 737s. Both Nok and Air Asia have some great 3 Baht/0 Baht deals on at the moment, including Hanoi. I prefer Nok because they have allocated seats rather than the mad rush you experience on AirAsia and I tend to be heading into BKK rather than down to Pattaya.

Car and driver ....... cheap as chips and loads of companies do them. Cost is anywhere between 1,800 and 2,500 Baht a day plus fuel.

BigBadSi
10-12-2007, 10:12 AM
If you've got time Si why not get the ferry from Krabi to Phi Phi and then from Phi Phi to Phuket even if it's just for 1 day. You can also get a ferry direct to Phuket from Krabi and vice versa but the lying little cunts at the Phuket ferry departure point lied to me and said mai mee (no have) so I got the bus which was fine.
we will be getting ferry to Phuket as were doing 4 nights in krabi and 4 in phuket
Si,

If we had some idea of your itinerary it would be easier to give you some pointers.

A couple of general points though .........

Rail ..... it's inexpensive and the network is pretty decent. Overnight first class sleeper is the way to go if your heading up north (Chiang Mai) or down south (Surathani/Chumphon) ..... what you pay in fares you'll make up in hotel savings. It's also a great way to meet some local talent and see a bit of the countryside.

Air ..... basically down to where you're starting off from/headed to. Pattaya and Air Asia from Suvarnabhumi or Bangkok and Nok Air from Don Mueang. Some destinations (Sukhothai, Samui, Trat) you'll have no option but to go Bangkok Airways. Air Asia is currently receiving brand new A320s to replace its original 737s. Both Nok and Air Asia have some great 3 Baht/0 Baht deals on at the moment, including Hanoi. I prefer Nok because they have allocated seats rather than the mad rush you experience on AirAsia and I tend to be heading into BKK rather than down to Pattaya.

Car and driver ....... cheap as chips and loads of companies do them. Cost is anywhere between 1,800 and 2,500 Baht a day plus fuel.

My travel arrangements are(hotels booked already) 4th Jan CM (4 nights) then head to krabi 8th Jan (4 nights) then phuket 12th Jan (4 nights) then back to pattaya

Nok look pretty decent Air Asia only have a 10KG baggage allowance and charge per kilo over Nok have 15Kg

tom
10-12-2007, 10:29 AM
My travel arrangements are(hotels booked already) 4th Jan CM (4 nights) then head to krabi 8th Jan (4 nights) then phuket 12th Jan (4 nights) then back to pattaya

Nok look pretty decent Air Asia only have a 10KG baggage allowance and charge per kilo over Nok have 15Kg

The baggage allowance on Thai Air Asia is 15 kg.

Free Baggage Allowance: You may transport free of charge checked Baggage up to a maximum weight of 15 kg subject to the conditions and limitations contained in our Terms & Conditions.

BigBadSi
10-12-2007, 10:33 AM
cheers tom i must have read wrong

penetrator
10-12-2007, 01:25 PM
In case you have any pompen getting info on the Krabi - Phuket ferry there was a restaurant that advertises the service when I was there this time last year. If you follow the beach rd round to the left as it goes up the slight hill away from the beach at its eastern end the restaurant is about 50 - 100 yards up on the left, think you have to walk up some steps into the place. There was a poster on the wall advertising the ferry.

It's probably around where the 1st 'a' is in 'Phra Nang Inn' on the attached map.

BigBadSi
10-12-2007, 08:53 PM
cheers pen im staying at a hotel on that map srikusant

Bilbobaggins
10-12-2007, 09:58 PM
I stayed at the Phra Nang Inn when I was there earlier this year, nice but way too expensive, best bit was having breakfast overlooking the beach.
Have a good one there Si

Baggins...cheers:

BigBadSi
10-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Cheers bill,im told Nopratarra beach is great nice and peaceful and 5 mins away ao nang im paying 2,500baht a night in a deluxe villa seaview.looks a nice resort.

definetly want to laze on Phranang beach

Bilbobaggins
10-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Si, hire a longail boat for the day too, takes you around various islands that you wouldn't get to see otherwise,not too expensive to hire it privately if I remember, kiosk next to the beach, near the hotel I stayed at

BigBadSi
10-12-2007, 10:13 PM
How much am i looking at for the day m8,they look creaky them longtail boats

Bilbobaggins
10-12-2007, 10:37 PM
think it's 2 or 2.5 for all day, but its really worth it mate, I got some great photos when I went out on mine:

It's a really pretty place, I loved it there

Baggins..cheers:

BigBadSi
10-12-2007, 10:42 PM
stunning bill,,stunning,i cant wait

tom
10-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Si,

I would stick to AirAsia for the flights for a couple of reasons ....

1. Access from/to Pattaya/Suvarnabhumi will be quicker/cheaper than going to Don Mueang to connect with Nok Air.

2. You have a decent left luggage at Suvarnabhumi if you don't want to get stiffed on excess baggage.

3. You have better facilities a Suvarnabhumi if you have a bit of a layover on your way back from Chiang Mai.

4. You can book through on Thai from Chiang Mai to Krabi but you still have a 6 hour layover at Suvarnabhumi.

Current prices on Air Asia are (add 670 Baht to each leg for taxes etc):

4 Jan - BKK/CMX - 1,000 Baht
8 Jan - CMX/BKK - 0 Baht
8 Jan - BKK/KVD - 400 Baht
16 Jan - HKT/BKK - 400 Baht

So booking now you should be able to cover all your flights for +/- 4,500 Baht.

BigBadSi
10-13-2007, 09:47 AM
I see your point Tom but my choice of choosing Nok were down to times mainly,im still juggling option nothing set in stone yet.

PattayaLiz
10-14-2007, 09:23 AM
We flew Nok to CM and was well satisfied with them , on time and no hassle ! its well worth doing thier upgrade to Business type seats as the cattle looked well cramped ! Coffee and Snack included in that , cattle all extra .

Bilbobaggins
10-14-2007, 10:39 AM
fookin norveners in business class? what bank did you rob Liz?
:nana::nana::nana::nana::nana:

mack
10-14-2007, 01:36 PM
fookin norveners in business class? what bank did you rob Liz?

That was right after the big "Dolls for the Orphan Girls" fundraiser Baggins. :detective:
:viannen_12::viannen_10: :cheer2: :viannen_10::cheer2::viannen_10::cheer2: :viannen_10: :cheer2: :viannen_10: :viannen_12:

:hiding: I joke you Liz! You know I lub you...come here and give me a big hug. :hug:
Hey! No, don't do it Liz!! :frypan: