PDA

View Full Version : How to sell a fight

ferocious
07-12-2007, 03:24 PM
the inspiration behind my name "ferocious" fernando vargas & ricardo mayorga couldn't wait to get their upcoming fight on sept 8 under way & started trading blows yesterday in LA...!

yFBLvVrttBg

ROLAND
07-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Good old Don King again, I'm looking forward to that one F should be a humdinger.
Some good fights this Saturday night too , Amir Khan etc

ferocious
07-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah & a couple on live from the states on sky , looks like a night at toms place..
can't believe they let them 2 sit next to each other at the press conference cos that was always going to happen , but they maybe done it on purpose to sell more pay-per-view

Thebomb
07-12-2007, 05:40 PM
thanks for that mate.......ill be payin to watch it...

ROLAND
07-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Frank Warrens shows are now going to be on Setanta Sports from September including the Joe Calzaghe scrap.
£9.99 a month but not too bad as they have some Premiership football now.

Bilbobaggins
07-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Amir Khan, huge talent, over-hyped, fighting knockovers so far.....
Remind you of anyone?
The fat fucker jailed for causing a tragic road accident coz he didn't want to wait for a queue of traffic at roadworks at a hump-back bridge?
I hope Khan does well, at least he sees himself as British, but he is in danger of believing the hype.

Baggins...

Thebomb
07-12-2007, 08:54 PM
i think khan is more talented than naseem hamed and has his feet on the ground too....not a cocky youngster like the "prince"....its a good test for him 2moro as i rate limmond as a good boxer,but not a puncher so im expecting it to be a points win for khan.a good prospect IMO.....time will tell

ferocious
07-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Frank Warrens shows are now going to be on Setanta Sports from September including the Joe Calzaghe scrap.
£9.99 a month but not too bad as they have some Premiership football now.

thats a nightmare , i already pay for sky & i've got the foriegn set up too for my saturday afternoons football which is only £96 a season but i'm a bit peeved at paying more money...BTW i bought myself a ringside ticket today for the calzaghe-kessler fight so setanta can wait

Thebomb
07-12-2007, 09:40 PM
thats a nightmare , i already pay for sky & i've got the foriegn set up too for my saturday afternoons football which is only £96 a season but i'm a bit peeved at paying more money...BTW i bought myself a ringside ticket today for the calzaghe-kessler fight so setanta can wait

ya kept that quiet.........that'll be a belter that...best fight in that division by far....

ferocious
07-12-2007, 09:43 PM
ya kept that quiet.........that'll be a belter that...best fight in that division by far....

i told you last week but you were saying thailand in october , me and lard are going.... jermaine taylor is defo moving up to super middle n'all so i reckon that will be calzaghe's finale , beating kessler to be un-disputed then beat up taylor and retire un-defeated unified champion.. hall of fame for joe

Thebomb
07-12-2007, 09:48 PM
i told you last week but you were saying thailand in october , me and lard are going.... jermaine taylor is defo moving up to super middle n'all so i reckon that will be calzaghe's finale , beating kessler to be un-disputed then beat up taylor and retire un-defeated unified champion.. hall of fame for joe

you know me....in one ear out the other.....its november though isnt it???? 2nd or 3rd????........i think he'll beat the pair of em...but you just never know do u.......could be interested in joinin ya's....we'll talk later pal

ferocious
07-12-2007, 09:52 PM
november 3.... bout £450 all in.... tell you what taylor is fighting kelly pavlik in the autumn & i reckon pavlik will spark him , imagine pavlik - calzaghe , tear up

Bilbobaggins
07-12-2007, 10:03 PM

Reg how much you paid for that fight?
Thats gonna be a goodun
and where is it?

Baggins...:cheers:

Bilbobaggins
07-12-2007, 10:04 PM
woops sorry, just seen your post, I'll swerve that then, saving money for 2 months in LOS just after xmas

Baggins

irishmic
07-13-2007, 05:59 AM
I saw Jermaine Taylor before his championship, fought in West Virginia on the undercard of a Spadafora title match, think it was Taylors' 12? fight or so, made the most impression on me with his power and combinations. the rest is history.:cheers:

mack
07-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Too bad Mayorga didn't duck the punch, then maybe King would have got his big fucking mouth socked. :boxing:

ferocious
07-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Too bad Mayorga didn't duck the punch, then maybe King would have got his big fucking mouth socked. :boxing:

mayorga has gone through his career gobbing off , but what he should have thought about was vargas is a bit of a lad and is not scared to get it on & he duly shit it when vargas chinned him

ROLAND
07-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Frank Warren has signed a double deal , Amir Khan will remain on ITV and so will selected bills such as next weeks from Cardiff but the rest will be on Setanta including Calzaghe v Kessler.

ferocious
11-22-2007, 04:02 PM
well i'll be getting up at 3am saturday morning to watch this fight
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/cmtltd/FernandoVargas_MayorgaPC.jpg

Friday night’s bout between Fernando Vargas and Ricardo Mayorga is being billed as ‘The Brawl’, which pretty much tells you everything you need to know about how this fight is going to unfold.

(Vargas v Mayorga is LIVE on Setanta Sports 1 on November 24 at 3:00am)

Indeed, it’s impossible to foresee this bout being one for the purists. Mayorga is as wild and unorthodox in the ring as he is outside it, while Vargas, who has announced his intention to retire after the fight, has been involved in some of the most memorable tear-ups of the past decade and intends to bow out of the fight game in explosive fashion. In that light, “The Brawl” is quite appropriate.

Certainly, Mayorga is desperate for the fight to become a war; it is the only way he knows how to fight.

The 34-year-old Nicaraguan’s career has been one big show of machismo. Before nearly every fight, he has questioned his opponent’s masculinity in a deliberate attempt to anger his foe into standing toe-to-toe with him. When it works, it looks like an ingenious ploy, but when it doesn’t, Mayorga ends up looking more than a little foolish.

When Mayorga met Vernon Forrest in a welterweight unification fight in January, 2003, he got inside Forrest’s head.

‘The Viper’ went into that bout on the back of two stunning victories of ‘Sugar’ Shane Mosley, who was considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world at the time, but he was thrown by Mayorga’s outrageous behaviour, which culminated in the Nicaraguan turning up for the weigh-in eating a slice of pizza.

Forrest was just as perplexed and bemused by Mayorga during the fight and was completely unable to get to grips with unusual angles of the Nicarguan’s punches. The bout lasted three rounds.

Forrest was granted an immediate rematch in Las Vegas six months later but lost a majority points decision after a fight in which Mayorga repeatedly dropped his guard and allowed Forrest to hit him.

“I wanted to let him know that he couldn’t hurt me. I wanted to let him know that I was the boss, I was his daddy, I was the champ,” Mayorga explained at the time.

However, Mayorga’s questionable tactics have been less effective in recent years and he has lost three of his past five fights, suffering brutal kayos at the hands of both Felix Trinidad and Oscar De La Hoya.

On those occasions, his pre-fight attacks only served to motivate his opponents, as De La Hoya, who was repeatedly labelled a "queer" and a "faggot" by Mayorga, admitted after stopping 'El Matador' in six in May of last year.

Mayorga, unsurprisingly, has not learned his lesson and has been goading Vargas mercilessly in recent weeks. He has consistently referred to the Mexican as ‘Fatty’ and is adamant that Vargas is going to run "like a coward" on Friday night.

Mayorga’s insults appeared to have worked, however, as an infuriated Vargas was drawn into an exchange of blows at their first pre-fight press conference. A Perspex screen was required for their final promotional presser!

But, when that first bell sounds at the Staples Centre, will Vargas rise above the taunts and fight with his head, rather than his heart?

That looks unlikely because, throughout his career, Vargas has never walked away from a brawl. One could even argue that he is too brave and courageous for his own good at times.

‘El Feroz’ has impressive hand speed but the majority of his victories, the most notable of which came over Ike Quartey and Ronald ‘Winky’ Wright, were largely based on his incredible power (he stopped his first 17 opponents, equalling the record previously held by Roy Jones Jr.).

And his hands are no longer as heavy as they once were, meaning his admirable heart and bravery have resulted in him suffering sustained beatings at the hands of Trinidad, De La Hoya and Mosley in recent years.

But Vargas remains undeterred and is determined to produce some “fireworks” on Friday night, meaning a brawl is effectively a given.

So has Vargas merely falling into Mayorga’s rather simplistic - but often effective - trap? Perhaps not.

The catch-weight of 166lbs should work in Vargas’ favour. He is the naturally bigger man and spent most of his career struggling to stay inside the limit at light-middleweight. Mayorga, by contrast, started out at light-welterweight.

Vargas is also the five years Mayorga’s junior. True, he is probably far older in ring years, given the amount of brawls he has been involved in, and looked a tad tired and weary in his bouts with Mosley.

But while he may not be the same fighter who became the youngest light-middleweight champion of all time when he dethroned Luis Ramon Campas in 1998 at the age of 21, he is still a very competent fighter who boasts a dangerous mix of power and speed.

Vargas will also have the crowd on his side too. He is an approachable, brave and likeable family man; Mayorga is his complete antithesis.

Mayorga, after all, is a fighter who has been known to drink and smoke during his training camps. He has been charged with rape - he was later acquitted - and accused of fraud at various points in his career. This is man who courts controversy at every turn and Don King's reference to him as the 'Nicaraguan Mike Tyson' was quite apt.

But perhaps the most damning indictment of his character is the fact that he is not very popular within his homeland. Indeed, many Nicaraguans are ashamed and embarrassed by his conduct outside of the ring.

Some of it is undoubtedly an act but it is very hard to defend a man, who would go so far as to make insulting remarks about his opponent's recently-deceased mother, just as Mayorga did to Cory Spinks in 2003.

Still, while Mayorga is very hard to like, he is unquestionably a true ring warrior and if Vargas fulfils his promise to stand and trade, this could be a contender for fight of the year. Regardless of the outcome, that would be a fitting way for Vargas to walk away from a sport he has served so well over the past decade.

Bookmark with:

mack
11-22-2007, 05:05 PM
I hope Vargas punishes Mayorga then knocks him out. :boxing:

ferocious
11-22-2007, 08:16 PM
iMAlY8QkLWI

ferocious
11-22-2007, 08:27 PM
t789ns1MWg8

ferocious
11-22-2007, 09:01 PM
2QhesSe7qZ0

penetrator
11-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Should be an interesting fight. I remember how Mayorga bashed up Vernon Forest pretty good in their 1st fight and then won the 2nd by decision. Vernon Forrest twice beat Shane Mosley who in turn twice beat Vargas. All of which accounts for pretty much nothing as styles make fights. I'll go with Vargas as Mayorga is well over his ideal weight at super middle and is knocking on a bit.

ferocious
11-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Should be an interesting fight. I remember how Mayorga bashed up Vernon Forest pretty good in their 1st fight and then won the 2nd by decision. Vernon Forrest twice beat Shane Mosley who in turn twice beat Vargas. All of which accounts for pretty much nothing as styles make fights. I'll go with Vargas as Mayorga is well over his ideal weight at super middle and is knocking on a bit.

the second fight with forrest (2002 i think)is where the bad blood between these 2 comes from , vargas was ringside and got into a slanging match with mayorga & i've been wanting to see these 2 go at it ever since:woot:i like it when the fighters hate each other & can see it kicking off before the first bell... vargas should be able to outbox mayorga but his chin is iffy these days and mayorga can bang so makes for an intresting fight

Elvis
11-23-2007, 02:11 PM
feroucious if you were having a bet who would it be and what price are they also what round for ko sort of prediction :thankyou:

ferocious
11-23-2007, 04:19 PM
not sure of the odds paul & i can't decide who'll win but fancy a late stoppage either way

ferocious
11-24-2007, 05:53 AM
Mayorga retires Vargas!

Friday, November 23 2007

Drops Vargas twice in majority decision
By Francisco Salazar and Edgar Gonzalez at ringside

In his best performance in years, Ricardo "El Matador" Mayorga (28-6-1, 22 KOs) sent "El Feroz" Fernando Vargas (26-5, 22 KOs) into a retirement with a twelve round majority decision on Friday night at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles. Mayorga tried to bum rush Vargas and was clearly winning the round when he dropped Vargas at the end of round one. Mayorga wobbled Vargas again in round two. Vargas was cut over the right eye as both fighters landed big shots in the third. Vargas seemed to be coming on in the fourth round as Mayorga's aggressions became less frequent. Good two-way action in the fifth and sixth. Mayorga had a big round seven, but Vargas came back in the eighth. More good two-way action until Mayorga dropped Vargas again at the end of the eleventh. Round twelve was close. Scores were 114-112, 115-111 Mayorga, 113-113.